Author Topic: new FWI software  (Read 1934 times)

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
new FWI software
« on: September 22, 2019, 05:38:12 AM »
I am in the process of creating a standalone Fire Weather Index for the environment of Cumulus. Currently I am in the process of public trial and the software can be downloaded here. The science behind is can be found here and here and the participating sites can be found here. If you install and use it, please supply me with the link.

Only for Cumulus users!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: new FWI software
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:11:35 AM »
For Cumulus 1 or Cumulus MX?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see in your signature on other site that you are running Cumulus MX.
2nd EDIT: okay good thanks for reply below. works on either version.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:01:37 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:37:06 AM »
The pwsFWI is for all versions of Cumulus software.

Yes, personally I use MX but pwsFWI is independent of the cumulus software, it just uses its data and those files are the same in 1.9.4 and MX 30xx. You jumped too quick to a conclusion.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:56:37 AM by HansR »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
Ah okay. Thank you. Good to know.
Tele-Pole

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »
Well, it's been 2 weeks now since I wrote that message. It's apparently not a very popular subject to write software for ;)
Or is it the Cumulus environment?
Just Curious.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »
Cumulus is still very popular judging by what shows up on CWOP.

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/cgi-bin/wxequip.pl
Tele-Pole

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »
Well, it's been 2 weeks now since I wrote that message. It's apparently not a very popular subject to write software for ;)
There are probably a few factors having an impact on the 'quietness' of this thread.

Although there might still be a good number of Cumulus users (unfortunately, I am not one of them anymore), it seems the interests in owning and operating a weather station have been 'seriously' declining over the past months if not years.

I have been owing and operating a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 Plus weather station for the past 14 years - I have been using the registered version of Weather Display to process the data provided by my weather station.

About two years ago, I purchased the new WeatherFlow weather station - I am now getting all my weather information from the WeatherFlow generated web site of from my phone.

Getting back to the FWI software ... if it could be used with the Weather Display software, I would have tried it and probably adapted it.

Unfortunately, I do not have the patience anymore (at 72 years old) to spend hours (if not days) trying to get some new weather software going...  :oops:
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »
@Galfert: OK

@R_o_B: Interesting reply. You're actually saying the PWS-generation is dying out and with them  the number of stations declines.

The other thing you're saying - or implying is better probably - is that users leave the more technical solutions, the weather stations leave the programming and configuration hobby domain and enter the prefab solutions domain. I think you're probably right. However, the problem is that we actually loose data access giving the data away to cloudstorage. All those enterprises probably just want your email address for business development.

Anyway, I get the picture.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 03:54:14 PM »
it seems the interests in owning and operating a weather station have been 'seriously' declining over the past months if not years.
I wholeheartedly disagree, I think it's exactly the opposite. There are more brands, varieties, easy ways of posting online than ever. The PWS's in my local area alone has probably doubled since I started posting online 7-8 years ago....and that just those that do post.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »
This sort of helps paint the picture that the age group that at least hangs around here is mostly of the older generations. Interest peaks at 65 - 75 years old.  Interest below 45 years old is sparse.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36200.0
Tele-Pole

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
Interest peaks at 65 - 75 years old.  Interest below 45 years old is sparse.
Indeed. I also read the messages on the 'Weather-Watch Forum'  - I am certain that most of the regular participants are also in the 65-75 years old age group.

The number of weather stations in my area has been continuously declining - very few of the local personal weather station are older than two years, and more likely, will not be there in a year or two - why would one purchase, operate and upkeep a personal weather station when weather information is readily available (on smartphones) from so many large providers with 'all the bells and whistles'...  :roll:

The reason I kept my weather station going is because I want to have the weather information for my location - I do not care very much for the weather information at another station some kilometers away...  :???:
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

anything