Author Topic: Error Uploading Data Profile/WU on WeatherLink  (Read 14603 times)

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
Error Uploading Data Profile/WU on WeatherLink
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »
As someone who used WeatherLink for only 2 and 1/2 months before getting fed up and switching to another program (WxSolution), I never thought I'd be running back to use WL again for anything more than a place to back up my data. However, over 2 years later, I've found another use for WL: Weather Underground uploading. I found this use because the WxSolution WU upload was not giving me the wind obs that I wanted (it does a 2-minute sustained wind speed and direction, which often makes for some very choppy WU obs due to my so-so wind exposure). I decided that, in order to get more consistent wind readings on my WU archive, it would be prudent to use VirtualVP to run WL and use the WL to upload to WU at 30-minute intervals.

Indeed, while trying this system out today, the 30-minute upload interval gives me much-improved consistency in the area of wind direction and speed. However, there's a huge caveat: I've discovered that WL likes to "skip" obs. In fact, it has already done it 3 times today. In the log, it says that the data profile could not be downloaded, due to errors in the WU upload. I have no idea what that error is, or why this happens randomly, but this creates a big problem for me.

I was wondering- has anyone had a problem like this, and does anyone have any solutions to it? I'm also really interested in any recommendations of other programs (WD, VWS, etc) that may be able to upload to WU on a longer duration w/wind speed and direction averagres- basically, anything that can do what WL does without WL's hassles.

Thanks in advance for any input.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:46:56 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Error Uploading Data Profile/WU on WeatherLink
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »

I have an application you can try out that will perform the averaging.

email me at wuhu_software at yahoo.com if interested.

Offline WestMichigan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:58:07 PM »
I get frequent skipped observations also.  I would say 40 - 50% of my packets are not sent.  I have a 5 minute update rate and most of my observations are 10 minutes apart.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »
I get frequent skipped observations also.  I would say 40 - 50% of my packets are not sent.  I have a 5 minute update rate and most of my observations are 10 minutes apart.

You are welcome to try the software as well. It might help.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:13 PM »
One problem with WeatherLink is it does not have any capability to send data to weatherforyou.com/HAMweather like WxSolution does.  I've been fielding requests for it from users for seven years and directing them to tell Davis.  But they claim no one has ever asked for it.   ](*,)  So we recommend WUHU or one of the other fine pieces of software that do respond to customer requests.  ;)
Joe Torsitano

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:41 PM »
One problem with WeatherLink is it does not have any capability to send data to weatherforyou.com/HAMweather like WxSolution does.  I've been fielding requests for it from users for seven years and directing them to tell Davis.  But they claim no one has ever asked for it.   ](*,)  So we recommend WUHU or one of the other fine pieces of software that do respond to customer requests.  ;)

Seems like WL just needs to address these few issues and it would be right on the money. I do think highly of the program, but it really should address a couple of these issues. Your post reminds me to set up a weatherforyou.com profile on WxSolution- My site does have a link to your site, but I do want to send data as well.

For what it's worth, my only missed upload today was the 3:30 AM upload. I'll give it time, but my ob skipping problem may not be as bad as others have it. I would still rather use the application mentioned by wuhu_software, as I assume that it will use a resultant wind direction vector average as opposed to WL's dominant direction, which seems to only be used by WL.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:36 PM »

Seems like WL just needs to address these few issues and it would be right on the money. I do think highly of the program, but it really should address a couple of these issues. Your post reminds me to set up a weatherforyou.com profile on WxSolution- My site does have a link to your site, but I do want to send data as well.

For what it's worth, my only missed upload today was the 3:30 AM upload. I'll give it time, but my ob skipping problem may not be as bad as others have it. I would still rather use the application mentioned by wuhu_software, as I assume that it will use a resultant wind direction vector average as opposed to WL's dominant direction, which seems to only be used by WL.

You are correct, it using wind direction vector average to determine average direction.

If you want to try the software, it is available here:

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B30.zip

Here are the instructions for setup.

Before install, make sure the machine has a default printer installed. If you do not have one defined, go to the control panel and add any standard printer to make it the default printer. A printer is needed due to a bug in an older ActiveX control used for graphing (Teechart).

After the install:

1) In the general settings (lower-right of main screen), select the Davis VP2, to the right of that, select the serial port (or virtual port) that the console is connected to.

2) In the general settings is a value labeled "Minimum upload interval". The value is in seconds. This defaults to 5 minutes (300). If you want to upload only every 30 minutes, you would enter 1800. Weather Underground Non-rapid fire updates, AWEKAS, and weather for you uploads will happen on this interval.

3) Also in the general section, you can set the hours of weather data to retain in memory. The minimum value is 24, the highest value is 168 (1 week). This determine how much data can be included in the stats and graphs. If you have PC with lots of memory, you might want to kick it up to 168.

4) Under the tweak screen (hit tweak button on main screen), Under the Weather Underground options select the checkbox labeled 'Always report average wind speed and direction'. The software will then average your readings across the general upload interval you have specified. If you do not use this option, the current wind speed and direction are reported.

5) Click Save settings to exit screen and save your changes.

6) After you enter your WU related info at the top of the main WUHU screen, you can click Start. This will begin collecting data and uploading. If you need to make any changes in the general settings, hit Stop.

I should also perform the same averaging for Ham Weather... Something to do tomorrow I guess.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:13:23 AM »
Thank you very much for posting the program here! The program looks great, but it doesn't seem to want to work w/VirtualVP. I have WxSolution, WeatherLink, and WUHU all running at once, and all are connected to virtual ports- WUHU confirmed that it was connected to a virtual port. However, no data is appearing on the WUHU screen. Only when I closed VirtualVP, WxSolution, and WeatherLink and just had WUHU running on the actual console itself did the program pick up data from the console. I've had a long few days of wx station software configuring, so I'm not going to even try right now to figure stuff out at this point- if this is a correctable problem and I am overlooking something, anyone please just let me know. I'm going away until Saturday, so I won't be here to make any changes until then.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:16:36 AM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
Thank you very much for posting the program here! The program looks great, but it doesn't seem to want to work w/VirtualVP. I have WxSolution, WeatherLink, and WUHU all running at once, and all are connected to virtual ports- WUHU confirmed that it was connected to a virtual port. However, no data is appearing on the WUHU screen. Only when I closed VirtualVP, WxSolution, and WeatherLink and just had WUHU running on the actual console itself did the program pick up data from the console. I've had a long few days of wx station software configuring, so I'm not going to even try right now to figure stuff out at this point- if this is a correctable problem and I am overlooking something, anyone please just let me know. I'm going away until Saturday, so I won't be here to make any changes until then.

Thanks for the feedback. I have not actually testing with Virtual VP but I will give it a shot.

When you specified the port to use in WUHU, did you specify the physical port that the console is connected to or the virtual port suppplied by Virtual VP?

I do not know enough about Virtual VP so I will investigate.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I have not actually testing with Virtual VP but I will give it a shot.

When you specified the port to use in WUHU, did you specify the physical port that the console is connected to or the virtual port suppplied by Virtual VP?

I do not know enough about Virtual VP so I will investigate.

You got me just before I was about to leave for my trip  :grin:

I used the virtual port supplied by VirtualVP, because VirtualVP itself takes up the physical port. WUHU wouldn't display the data when using the virtual port. However, when I did the test without VirtualVP or the other programs running, I did have WUHU on the physical port of the console, and that's when it worked.

I should have internet access over the next few days to check this forum in case anything changes during that time.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »
It's funny how WL will not work for some but others have no problem. :???:
Although, they should do a complete update.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
Although, they should do a complete update.
Maybe Davis should get out of the weather software business and focus on their strength... weather station hardware.  :)

When Davis stations first came out there were no options for connecting to a computer except WL (even other software needed WL to do some functions).  But now there's a WIDE range of very well supported software available starting at $0.

Like you say, it needs a complete update.  In talking with their Customer Service Manager even the smallest changes or updates can take MONTHS to complete, and some are just never done.  The WeatherLinkIP project is a good example of how the software division is taking a back seat.  They announced it at the end of 2006 and didn't release it until the end of 2007 but even then some of the promoted functionality didn't work (GLOBE).  They need to focus on what they do best and not try to do it all.

And if they'd stop working on software they'd get me off their back, too.  :lol:
Joe Torsitano

Offline WestMichigan

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »
If they weren't in California I would go to work for them writing software.  It is just tough trying to do much on the side in the way of freeware/opensource stuff when you have 3 kids 4 and under.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
I'm back from my trip; no internet access where I was so I just reviewed my WU data from the past 2 days upon getting back.

My first realization is that WL has skipped the 3:30 AM update every single day. This boggles my mind. While 3:30 AM is, luckily, about the least important update time of the day, I would certainly much rather have complete obs than incomplete obs.

Second, wind direction consistency is certainly aided by having the 30-min dominant direction shown over the 2-min avg direction (I compare WU obs with 2-min avg direction obs on CWOP), but I would MUCH prefer a 30- or even 20- minute average direction as opposed to dominant. My reason for this being that occasionally the wind direction will become "stuck" on a direction w/light speeds, and even though the vector average direction will be representative of the real wind direction over the interval, the fact that the most data packets just happened to come from an errant direction throws off the WL reported wind direction. So, while my obs over the past several days are more consistent using the 30-min dom dir than a 2-min vector avg, they would be essentially perfect with a 20- or 30-minute vector avg.

So, wuhu_software, just let me know when you are done testing w/VirtualVP- I'm in no rush and certainly do not wish to prod you, as I really appreciate what you have done to help me/others so far!

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
I'm back from my trip; no internet access where I was so I just reviewed my WU data from the past 2 days upon getting back.

My first realization is that WL has skipped the 3:30 AM update every single day. This boggles my mind. While 3:30 AM is, luckily, about the least important update time of the day, I would certainly much rather have complete obs than incomplete obs.

Second, wind direction consistency is certainly aided by having the 30-min dominant direction shown over the 2-min avg direction (I compare WU obs with 2-min avg direction obs on CWOP), but I would MUCH prefer a 30- or even 20- minute average direction as opposed to dominant. My reason for this being that occasionally the wind direction will become "stuck" on a direction w/light speeds, and even though the vector average direction will be representative of the real wind direction over the interval, the fact that the most data packets just happened to come from an errant direction throws off the WL reported wind direction. So, while my obs over the past several days are more consistent using the 30-min dom dir than a 2-min vector avg, they would be essentially perfect with a 20- or 30-minute vector avg.

So, wuhu_software, just let me know when you are done testing w/VirtualVP- I'm in no rush and certainly do not wish to prod you, as I really appreciate what you have done to help me/others so far!

Welcome back.

Well, I have some good news. Working with Steve we have found and corrected a problem between the Davis DLL (that I use to communicate with the station) and Virtual VP.

Now the bad news. The fix requires a patched version of N8VBvCOM driver. Steve is going to create a new installer for it. For now, it would require a manual replacement of the vCOM.sys driver.

If you are comfortable with enabling and disabling devices in the device manager, you can get a copy of the device driver and replace your copy (c:\windows\system32\drivers\vCOM.sys).

What you would do is stop all software communicating with the Davis. Go to the device manager, disable the vCom driver (under Multi-port serial adapters). Go to your system32\drivers folder and rename your existing copy of vCOM.sys to something like vCOM-original.sys so you have a copy. Copy the new vCOM.sys file to your system32\drivers folder. Re-enable the vCom driver in device manager, then start up your weather software.

If you want to give it  a go, I will put a copy of the vCom.sys file on my FTP site.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/vCOM.sys

Also, after playing with Virtual VP, I have also modified WUHU so that it does not poll for data constantly as it does with a real console.

Therefore you need to update WUHU (no need to un-install it, your user options will not change when upgrading).

Here is the version you want:

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B31.zip

Let me know if you have any problems.

You can write an email offline if you want, wuhu_software at yahoo.com

Thanks

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »
Well, I went through the instructions, set my upload interval to 20 min (I thought it would be better than 30), and....all is running smoothly! WUHU is running simultaneously w/WxSolution through VirtualVP, and has completed its first two uploads to WU successfully. The first upload came when I booted the software before it archived data, so the second is my first true wind upload- SSE 3 G 10.  :grin:

In the box near the top of the page, it lists the sustained wind at 3.6 mph, so I guess it rounded down to 3? Something so minor really isn't a problem for me, though, as the obs are going to be so much better for my station than they previously were. I am very excited to have the uploads up and running. I'll keep posting here to show diffs between my new obs from WUHU and my old obs from WxSolution/WeatherLink.

My station's WU page, for anyone who wants to see WUHU in action, is here: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNJOAKLA6

I offer my greatest thanks to wuhu_software for getting everything to work for me, and to Steve for helping with the VirtualVP portion- I am definately lucky to have gotten so much help here.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »
Well, I went through the instructions, set my upload interval to 20 min (I thought it would be better than 30), and....all is running smoothly! WUHU is running simultaneously w/WxSolution through VirtualVP, and has completed its first two uploads to WU successfully. The first upload came when I booted the software before it archived data, so the second is my first true wind upload- SSE 3 G 10.  :grin:

In the box near the top of the page, it lists the sustained wind at 3.6 mph, so I guess it rounded down to 3? Something so minor really isn't a problem for me, though, as the obs are going to be so much better for my station than they previously were. I am very excited to have the uploads up and running. I'll keep posting here to show diffs between my new obs from WUHU and my old obs from WxSolution/WeatherLink.

My station's WU page, for anyone who wants to see WUHU in action, is here: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNJOAKLA6

I offer my greatest thanks to wuhu_software for getting everything to work for me, and to Steve for helping with the VirtualVP portion- I am definately lucky to have gotten so much help here.

That is odd that 3.6 was changed to 3. I am wondering if WU is not rounding when they store to their database or whether it is just an issue with displaying the comma delimited file?

Keep me posted as to whether you see anything strange.

If you want to see the upload strings sent to WU, goto the log screen, un-check all weather service except WU, then un-check Errors Only.

Let me know what you find.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »

That is odd that 3.6 was changed to 3. I am wondering if WU is not rounding when they store to their database or whether it is just an issue with displaying the comma delimited file?

Keep me posted as to whether you see anything strange.

If you want to see the upload strings sent to WU, goto the log screen, un-check all weather service except WU, then un-check Errors Only.

Let me know what you find.

I feel like I've seen the same rounding thing on WU in other instances before, so it could just be on WU's end. Since the 3.6 number was indeed sent to WU, it seems like WU is the one doing the rounding. Either way, not a big deal to me.

The one thing I noticed is that the peak gusts over the 20-min period don't always seem to be caught. Watching the software capture the data, it looked to me like it was having no problem catching all of the data packets. However, only some of the 20-min peak gusts being shown on WU are as high as the peaks seen in the minute-by-minute data I looked at on WxSolution and the gust data on WxSolution's CWOP upload. Perhaps it is only taking the peak gust in the 5 or 10 minute period prior to the update? In that case, I could move my uploads to maybe every 10 or 15 min- the avg direction and speed would still be very consistent at either interval, based on the solid consistency I'm seeing w/20 minute obs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:02:02 AM by NorthNJwx »

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »
I had a little more time to check out the missed gusts thing this morning. I looked back at one update- the 18:03 update from yesterday- to try to determine what was going on. WUHU uploaded a peak gust of 6 mph for that update (on 20 min interval), but I knew from observing the station that gusts had reached 12 mph in the 20 minutes leading up to 18:03. My CWOP obs (coming from WxSolution) backed up the 12 mph peak gust idea. I went back to look at the minute-by-minute WxSolution data leading up to the update, and the 12 mph gust (along with a gust or two to 10 mph) was within 5 minutes of the update. So, that makes me think the idea I had last night of it only showing the peak gust over the past 5 or 10 minutes is not the case.

I also was paying attention to the first update just after midnight today, which showed something interesting as well. The peak gust in that 20-min period had been 9, but WUHU uploaded a peak of 8 to WU. Later this morning, some obs showed SSW 1 G 0. That makes it seem like something is definately missing w/the gust data.

Most of my obs so far have had incorrect gusts; only a few have gotten it right. I feel bad about this, because I know this just makes it tougher for you, wuhu_software. There won't be much wind here today, so this is not a pressing issue- I hope it's just something minor I'm missing on my part.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
I had a little more time to check out the missed gusts thing this morning. I looked back at one update- the 18:03 update from yesterday- to try to determine what was going on. WUHU uploaded a peak gust of 6 mph for that update (on 20 min interval), but I knew from observing the station that gusts had reached 12 mph in the 20 minutes leading up to 18:03. My CWOP obs (coming from WxSolution) backed up the 12 mph peak gust idea. I went back to look at the minute-by-minute WxSolution data leading up to the update, and the 12 mph gust (along with a gust or two to 10 mph) was within 5 minutes of the update. So, that makes me think the idea I had last night of it only showing the peak gust over the past 5 or 10 minutes is not the case.

I also was paying attention to the first update just after midnight today, which showed something interesting as well. The peak gust in that 20-min period had been 9, but WUHU uploaded a peak of 8 to WU. Later this morning, some obs showed SSW 1 G 0. That makes it seem like something is definately missing w/the gust data.

Most of my obs so far have had incorrect gusts; only a few have gotten it right. I feel bad about this, because I know this just makes it tougher for you, wuhu_software. There won't be much wind here today, so this is not a pressing issue- I hope it's just something minor I'm missing on my part.

No worries about modifying the code. I am all for trying to get it right.

Your guess about the gust being calculated over the 10 minute period is correct.

Weather Underground recently changed their protocol so that the server accepts wind speed, wind gust, wind direction, 2min ave wind speed, 2min ave wind direction, 10min wind gust, 10min gust direction. The wind speed, wind gust, and wind direction are defined by the software. In our case, we will use the averaging when the tweak is enabled.

I have modified the code so that when the averaging tweak is enabled, the gust will be calculated over the minimum upload period rather than the normal 10 minute period. Also, the gust direction will be reported as the direction when the highest gust over the period was detected.

My guess is that we should leave the CWOP reports as they are. The wind speed is the average over the past 2 minutes, the gust is over the past 10 minutes. That is all part of the CWOP specification. The CWOP upload interval in WUHU is fixed at the recommended 10 minute interval so I think that will be Ok assuming you are using WUHU to upload the CWOP data.

Give this version a try and let me know if the WU data looks Ok:

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU216_32_B33.zip

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
I got the update installed and first upload looks good! I'll come back to it later today to analyze my data and make sure everything is going well. I actually still have CWOP uploads coming from WxSolution, due to that fact that CWOP prefers the 2-min sustained/10-min gust format. By the way, interesting info there about WU; I wasn't aware they changed protocol.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »
After a day of obs, here's what I've found:

Wind direction and gusts are perfect! Direction was never a problem, but gusts are now fully fixed. The uploads have gone as smoothly as I could have hoped regarding direction and gusts.

Wind speed is the only question mark. The thing is, it seems to me that the wind speed being archived on WU is indeed the actual sustained 20-min wind speed, although the value for wind speed that is reported as part of the current conditions seems to be off- perhaps 1 mph too high. For example, an upload will go to WU and be displayed as 1.6 mph for sustained wind in the box w/the current conditions near the top of the WU page, BUT the value displayed in the archived tabular data below will show 1 mph. Meanwhile, checking the avg wind speed over that interval on WxSolution (I can compare this to WUHU on the updates at :20 past the hour, since WxSolution computes a running hourly avg for every hour that is thus the 20 min avg at 20 min past the hour), it would show, for example, 0.6 mph- 1 mph less than the 1.6 mph, yet, when rounded, matching perfectly to the 1 mph figure shown in the WU tabular data.

I guess what this means is that I may have been wrong yesterday when I assumed WU may be rounding off the wind speed wrong. I think the rounding is right, it's just the value for wind speed being reported currently (but not archived) that seems to be off. If this is indeed the case, it's no problem- the only wind speed that matters is what's being archived.

I guess the only problem I have- a very minor one- is that, whenever there is a "gust" to at least 1 mph during the 20-min interval, the sustained wind is always at least 1- in other words, I haven't seen any 0 G 1; it is always 1 G 1, even when the sustained wind is 0.1 mph.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 11:10:46 PM »
After a day of obs, here's what I've found:

Wind direction and gusts are perfect! Direction was never a problem, but gusts are now fully fixed. The uploads have gone as smoothly as I could have hoped regarding direction and gusts.

Wind speed is the only question mark. The thing is, it seems to me that the wind speed being archived on WU is indeed the actual sustained 20-min wind speed, although the value for wind speed that is reported as part of the current conditions seems to be off- perhaps 1 mph too high. For example, an upload will go to WU and be displayed as 1.6 mph for sustained wind in the box w/the current conditions near the top of the WU page, BUT the value displayed in the archived tabular data below will show 1 mph. Meanwhile, checking the avg wind speed over that interval on WxSolution (I can compare this to WUHU on the updates at :20 past the hour, since WxSolution computes a running hourly avg for every hour that is thus the 20 min avg at 20 min past the hour), it would show, for example, 0.6 mph- 1 mph less than the 1.6 mph, yet, when rounded, matching perfectly to the 1 mph figure shown in the WU tabular data.

I guess what this means is that I may have been wrong yesterday when I assumed WU may be rounding off the wind speed wrong. I think the rounding is right, it's just the value for wind speed being reported currently (but not archived) that seems to be off. If this is indeed the case, it's no problem- the only wind speed that matters is what's being archived.

I guess the only problem I have- a very minor one- is that, whenever there is a "gust" to at least 1 mph during the 20-min interval, the sustained wind is always at least 1- in other words, I haven't seen any 0 G 1; it is always 1 G 1, even when the sustained wind is 0.1 mph.

A simple test you can peform is to view the statisitics on the main WUHU screen to see whether or not the data uploaded is actually the average over the upload interval.

To do this, go below the stats, select the range from 0 to X minutes where X is what you have set as the minimum upload interval. Upon the next upload, look at the average wind speed in the stats to see if it matches what is being sent.

We can inquire the folks at WU as to whether they are preforming any sort of rounding.

Thanks.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 06:46:06 AM »
Not sure if this is what you were talking about, but between "fixups" and the "graph" button is a graph, and I set it to show 20 minutes (it had been on 24 hours). The update did indeed upload what had been in the "ave speed" box. I'm just not sure if what is in that box is too high or not. It is a good sign that they match, though.

FWIW, the box for the high avg speed (I believe of the day) shows 3.3, and the low shows 1.0. On WxSolution, the peak 2-min avg of the day is only 3.1, so that 3.3 would have to be impossible- and there were definately some times last night where the 20-min avg would go well below 1.0, as hourly avgs were sometimes around 0.5 or 0.6. So, something is kind of fishy. It's almost like the average speed on WUHU is 1 mph too high, and this translates to WU- until the "rounding" thing brings the wind speed down. I can't fully tell if the obs in the tabular WU data have the right average winds, or if they are too high as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:11:22 AM by NorthNJwx »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
Not sure if this is what you were talking about, but between "fixups" and the "graph" button is a graph, and I set it to show 20 minutes (it had been on 24 hours). The update did indeed upload what had been in the "ave speed" box. I'm just not sure if what is in that box is too high or not. It is a good sign that they match, though.

FWIW, the box for the high avg speed (I believe of the day) shows 3.3, and the low shows 1.0. On WxSolution, the peak 2-min avg of the day is only 3.1, so that 3.3 would have to be impossible- and there were definately some times last night where the 20-min avg would go well below 1.0, as hourly avgs were sometimes around 0.5 or 0.6. So, something is kind of fishy. It's almost like the average speed on WUHU is 1 mph too high, and this translates to WU- until the "rounding" thing brings the wind speed down. I can't fully tell if the obs in the tabular WU data have the right average winds, or if they are too high as well.

The fixups and updates boxes are for display only. The meaning of updats is Success/Attempts to communicate with the console. The fixups represent any replacements that WUHU peformed if data coming from the console was obviously corrupt. I doubt you will see any fixups when using a Davis.

I am guessing that WU is not performing any special analysis on the data and that they are simplying rounding the values.

As far as the stats on WUHU go, the data displayed in the stats area is only valid for the time span you have specified (0 to 20 minutes for example). If you want to see stats for the day (since midnight), enter 0 to M for the start and end times, in minutes or hours. M is a special designator that means since midnight.

The only way to validate the calculations in either WUHU or WxSolution would be to accumulate the raw readings that each program collected (which can be different depending on how fast each polls the console) then analyze the values in a program like Excel. Using templates, you can configure WUHU to output a CSV file that can be imported in to Excel. Let me know if you want to try that.