Author Topic: Canada Best Value Connected Weather Station  (Read 1414 times)

Offline nathani

Canada Best Value Connected Weather Station
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
Hi All,

It's been asked a lot, and I've been following this thread as it's somewhat relevant: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29389.0

I'm Canadian and want to get a weather station for not a lot of money. I want to upload my data to weather underground, and my total budget is about $300 CAD ($230 USD). I might be able to stretch this a bit if I can convince a few neighbors to pitch in. I'm very technically inclined. The location I have in mind could be wifi, wired or bridged. I would like to push directly from the unit or bridge (or raspberry), but I don't want to involve a desktop computer.

My problem is that many units seem over priced by the time they get to Canada. AcuRite seems to be the best option for Canada, so I've been looking at the

AcuRite 01057RM for $275.99CAD (amazon.ca)

I have a rasberry pi nearby and I could connect it via USB, this would allow me to buy the sensor array only for $105, but I'm confused about barometric pressure. Where is this measured, on the array or the display? I think array, but it seems that AcuRite needs to update their website; neither unit mentions it in the spec. But if I got sensor only w/ pi, should i get a better array?

Any other Canadians want to point me at a Canadian retailer, or US retailed that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:25:10 PM by nathani »

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
Re: Canada Best Value Connected Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
Howdy nathani
You may want to stay away from Acurite for now. They have been having problems with their new software for some time now and can't seem to find a fix. They've also had some problems with the FARS in their 5 in 1 weather stations.
I don't have enough experience to make a good recommendation but I've been looking at the WS1001 for a replacement.
Billy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
Since "For the Birds Nature Shop" in NS closed up, there are no reasonable  sellers of weather stations.  Why  Acurite does not distribute here is beyond me.  FWIW there is nothing wrong with the Acurite line but I only use Meteobridge not whatever SW they package.

If you have a few more dollars in your budget (worth it IMHO) then contact Ryan at Scaledinstruments.com and he will sell you a Davis Vue for a great price.  Will ship USPS so you don't get slaughtered on duty etc.  You'll need a logger - Bellfryboy is one vendor on the is form and there is another dude sellingn logger clones for about 75 CAD with shipping.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »
I would second trying to get the Davis Vue if you can stretch the budget a bit.  I love my 5-in-1 and my Vue both (as well as my VP2 Pro :) ) but the Vue has better sensors and is more accurate overall.

Of course I don't have to deal with ice and snow like you mostly likely will, my 5-in-1 issues are around over temps from solar radiation but when you get 115-120 in the summer it can be 7 degrees higher than the Vue.

Either one will do if you don't obsess about accuracy like most of the folks here but the Vue will be better overall IMHO.

Also, Acurite is just about to come out with more accurate higher end stations in an attempt to compete directly with Davis and other competitors like Oregon Scientific, Ambient etc.

Check this thread out... sounds like they will be more accurate, be available around the end of March, prices to be announced, Acurite's Director, Platform Solutions, handle 'meadowlands' has been posting to the thread occasionally...

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31119.0

Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...