Author Topic: WeatherLink and Amazon's Alexa  (Read 1286 times)

Offline darkpenguin

• HoosierWeather
WeatherLink and Amazon's Alexa
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
Have an Amazon Echo or Dot?  Here is something for you to try, "Alexa, enable Hoosier Weather."  You can also open the Alexa app and search for Hoosier Weather and enable the skill from there.

For a little history, I wrote wx2sql which will import existing WeatherLink data files, and stay up to date my importing new observations, into a MySQL database.  The Hoosier Weather skill talks to that database and allows you to ask for various types of data.  The initial release let you ask for the following information:

• Current Conditions
  • Daily Summaries for any given day.  This includes temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and precipitation (Wind speed and direction are not yet included.
  • Temperature Summaries for any given day.  This will include Hi and Lo temperatures for the day, month, and year.
  • Precipitation Summaries for any given day.  This will give you totals for the requested day, month, and year.
  • Storm Reports.  For a storm event (most likely there will be one for tonight), I can report on any observations that I make
  • About.  You can request more information about Hoosier Weather
  • Help.  As with all Alexa Skills, you can ask for help which will provide you with questions you can ask

This has really been a fun project.  I already have a list of items for future releases.  Now I have access to my WeatherLink data just by asking.  :)
Twitter:               @HoosierWeather
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierweather

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WeatherLink and Amazon's Alexa
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
I just ask my wife.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »
Have an Amazon Echo or Dot?  Here is something for you to try, "Alexa, enable Hoosier Weather."  You can also open the Alexa app and search for Hoosier Weather and enable the skill from there.

For a little history, I wrote wx2sql which will import existing WeatherLink data files, and stay up to date my importing new observations, into a MySQL database.  The Hoosier Weather skill talks to that database and allows you to ask for various types of data.  The initial release let you ask for the following information:

• Current Conditions
  • Daily Summaries for any given day.  This includes temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and precipitation (Wind speed and direction are not yet included.
  • Temperature Summaries for any given day.  This will include Hi and Lo temperatures for the day, month, and year.
  • Precipitation Summaries for any given day.  This will give you totals for the requested day, month, and year.
  • Storm Reports.  For a storm event (most likely there will be one for tonight), I can report on any observations that I make
  • About.  You can request more information about Hoosier Weather
  • Help.  As with all Alexa Skills, you can ask for help which will provide you with questions you can ask

This has really been a fun project.  I already have a list of items for future releases.  Now I have access to my WeatherLink data just by asking.  :)

Good job !!!!

Offline darkpenguin

• HoosierWeather
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »
Thanks GB, I appreciate it.

Oh, and Bushman, the difference is that Alexa doesn't roll her eyes when she's giving you the weather. :)
Twitter:               @HoosierWeather
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierweather