Author Topic: weatherlink IP and downld02.txt  (Read 1451 times)

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
weatherlink IP and downld02.txt
« on: April 08, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »
Hi,
I'm having a little problem with WeatherlinkIP. The only way to parse realtime data that I know is using the XML file uploaded automatically every 1 minute, but this file doesn't contain what I need: in fact it contains instantaneous data (it substantially makes a "screenshot" of the console and uploads the data appearing in that instant). I need average data, such as those contained in the downld02.txt file uploaded automatically by Weatherlink software (here is an example), which contains the same lines you can see going to "browse" section of Weatherlink software.
So, my question is: does something like downld02.txt exist with WeatherlinkIP? Is there a way to make this file be uploaded (obviously not using a 24 h computer)?
My weather Station in Rome:
http://www.romaeurmeteo.it/

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: weatherlink IP and downld02.txt
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »
Does depend on exactly what you might want but I've got a summary of current options for programmatic access to data on wl.com (which I think is what you asking about?). Please see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wl-com-2-0-data-handling

The last option might be what you're after but you'll need a userkey from Davis (different from the standard wl.com API token).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:05:12 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
Does depend on exactly what you might want but I've got a summary of current options for programmatic access to data on wl.com (which I think is what you asking about?). Please see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wl-com-2-0-data-handling

The last option might be what you're after but you'll need a userkey from Davis (different from the standard wl.com API token).

from what I can see here, there is the possibility to download a .csv file with the summary data (that is what I'm looking for) but it also says:
New data is only available once per hour. And remember that access to the Data tab requires a Pro tier subscription or higher.
So you need to have a weatherlink pro account, the standard/free isn't enough. :roll: :-(

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:14 AM »
from what I can see here, there is the possibility to download a .csv file with the summary data (that is what I'm looking for) but it also says:
'New data is only available once per hour.'

Is that a problem? If you want more frequent data then don't you work with the current data rather than historic?

So you need to have a weatherlink pro account, the standard/free isn't enough. :roll: :-(

No it doesn't say that, simply that if you wanted to run the equivalent data downloads interactively then you'd need access to the Data tab. But AFAIK it will work with a free account if you're simply seeking to download the hourly data file programmatically. (But even if it weren't free then is that too much of a surprise - running these huge platforms is expensive and they have to be paid for somehow. Davis's model is the familiar freemium one - basic features are free but access to whatever is classified as a more advanced feature costs something significant, but not extortionate, on an annual basis.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:58:49 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:46:37 AM »
downld02.txt is not a specific WeatherLink IP product but does come from WeatherLink PC .... but yes is PC dependent

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 05:15:35 AM »
Just as an addendum here: It's not clear exactly what the OP is seeking to achieve, but another scenario would be this:

WLIP uploads its data to wl.com as per default. A PC  - which could in theory be located literally anywhere worldwide - running the standard WL for Windows program then pulls down data from wl.com via Web Download (but no more than hourly since this is the frequency with which summary data is uploaded to wl.com) and generates downld02.txt locally (controlled via Internet Settings in WL). Don't recall ever trying this specifically but it should work I think and would be part of the free features.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:25:01 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 05:20:50 AM »
I found this very interesting topic..
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31260.0
 the scripts given effectively can download the archive records of weatherlink IP in real time! Just a little problem with rain that I highlighted as an answer... look at that

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 05:36:09 AM »
...the scripts given effectively can download the archive records of weatherlink IP in real time!

Not quite sure what you mean by 'in real time'. As discussed up-thread, new archive data is only uploaded once per hour by Davis logger-based accounts (cell-based ones depend on the plan interval and we don't know about WLL yet). Not sure that every hour is 'real-time'.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 05:50:12 AM »
...the scripts given effectively can download the archive records of weatherlink IP in real time!

Not quite sure what you mean by 'in real time'. As discussed up-thread, new archive data is only uploaded once per hour by Davis logger-based accounts (cell-based ones depend on the plan interval and we don't know about WLL yet). Not sure that every hour is 'real-time'.

I've tried to make the script run right now, and the last record downloaded corresponds to 20 minutes later. I think this is not being updated every hour, but more frequently. I'm going to make more tries to ensure this.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 05:52:29 AM »
What station/logger type is it downloading from though?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK