Author Topic: Dust/Grit impact on Vantage Pro2?  (Read 800 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Dust/Grit impact on Vantage Pro2?
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
Hello. I am still in the pre purchase stage of things here. Anyone with experience on the Vantage Pro2, I am concerned about blowing dust, grit affecting the anemometer, or for that matter any of the sensors. While I am not located near any fields broken for agriculture, blowing dust is still a part of this environment in northern Kansas. This year looks to be potentially bad for us here, so this question is important to me.

Thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Dust/Grit impact on Vantage Pro2?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:01:20 AM »
I live out in the country in ND.  So we probably have a similar environment.  I don't live next to any fields, but I have plenty of wind to blow the dust around.

The newest Davis Anemometer has sealed SS bearings, and a cover over the bearings.  So that part is quite sealed.  Odds are your bearings will simply wear out before you have dust issues.

The sensor suite hasn't been an issue for me.  Once a year in the spring I give it a wipe down and replace the battery.  That's been it.  You'd have to be in quite a dusty environment to get the sensor covered in dirt.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
Thanks. I expected there would be a good report, but your confirmation helps. Recent high wind warning for two days with the accompanying dirty air led me to ask this question.

Send some of your moisture down here?  :grin:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:06 PM »
The Arizona deserts are KNOWN for their "sandstorms" and "dust devils" and (so far) I've had no problem with dust/grit with my Davis™ VP2 system.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »

What moisture?  We finally got some snow.  We're .50 inches below average already.  Last year I think we finished 4 inches below normal.  Considering we only get 16 inches of precip a year, I'm betting you have more than we did.

But hey, I would if I could!  :grin:
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
The Arizona deserts are KNOWN for their "sandstorms" and "dust devils" and (so far) I've had no problem with dust/grit with my Davis™ VP2 system.

Thank you

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

What moisture?  We finally got some snow.  We're .50 inches below average already.  Last year I think we finished 4 inches below normal.  Considering we only get 16 inches of precip a year, I'm betting you have more than we did.

But hey, I would if I could!  :grin:

There is a lack of climatological data here, so I am unsure of where we stand exactly on precip since Jan 1. But I am certain we are below any normal. Total since 1 Nov is .51" at my CoCoRaHS station. 

You win on the average precip per year. We average 20" a year, and last year we had 24". I feel fortunate compared to some other places. Let's hope both our states do better in the coming months.