Author Topic: Seeking advice for a Weather Station  (Read 1042 times)

Offline ITN1nja

Seeking advice for a Weather Station
« on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
I have an Ultimeter 2100 from Peet Bros. that has recently stopped communicating with the base station. It was installed wrong in the first place and we have always had small problems here and there with it. Most of the problems are with the interface, though. We are taking the data from the weather station and reading it directly from the serial data stream into our data historian, OSIsoft PI. While the PI interface is robust enough that I can configure it to read data straight from the serial data stream or parse out any plain text file, I am frustrated by the limitations of using a serial connection. The primary limitation being the distance between my data center and the corner of the building where I have the weather station mounted.

Ideally, I would purchase a PoE weather station that could tie into a Cisco 2960 with PoE that I have in the same corner of the building as we have a weather station mounted and replace the Ultimeter 2100 with such a solution. I have not been able to find a solution. I have seen several people who seem to desire the same thing as I am looking for, but I cannot find anyone who seems to be producing a product to answer this need. Does anyone know of a product that I have overlooked? Am I stuck with a Davis VP2+ with a serial-connected intermediary?

Offline ITN1nja

Re: Seeking advice for a Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 03:42:45 PM »
As an update, I found one vendor that seems to have a PoE solution, Coastal Environmental Systems, but their products are all "call for more info" (which makes me nervous about pricing) and they don't say much about communication protocols used. Protocol really doesn't worry me too much as I can work with just about any method that a manufacturer might choose to share data, but I do need the data to be available outside of a proprietary software/protocol.

I will update with any other solutions I come across and when CES sales gives me a call back. I am expecting some minor sticker shock on that call.

anything