Author Topic: Wind forecast graph in WU app (or something else)?  (Read 783 times)

Offline DracoDan

Wind forecast graph in WU app (or something else)?
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, after doing some research I figured this was the best place to ask my question.

I have always used the WU website to get weather, I love the graph, especially the wind direction/speed forecast part.  I decided to get the WU app today expecting it to have the same, but it only shows the approximate (average?) wind speed for the entire day.  I'm a boater so having the wind speed forecast is super valuable to me.  If this can't be done in the WU app and can't/won't be implemented, what other apps can I use to get a similar graph of the forecast?  I'm on Android.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: Wind forecast graph in WU app (or something else)?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Welcome!

I use PWS Monitor on my iPhone. It basically takes the data/charts from WU and displays thoughs in a simple, easy to read format. I'm not aware of an app that'll show the forecast based on wind speed direction; but there has to be one out there somewhere. I'm sure someone else will have some insight.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DracoDan

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
Looked at PSW Monitor, but like you said it doesn't look like it can do wind forecast.  Does anyone else have any ideas?  This should be easy, all the data is available from WU, I just want it displayed in an app!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:49:24 PM »
You could always try the WINDY App.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.windyapp.android&hl=en
Something you may want to try is the NWS Marine Point forecasts. This is something they recently started. You just click on the point  in the map where you will be boating and it gives you current conditions and a forecast. This is for a small area so keep that in mind.
I fish the western Gulf coast of Florida and use it all the time. But, like any marine forecast it's just a forecast so it's not always right.
Here's the forecast for the area I fish.

Synopsis: As a cold front starts to approach the area we will see a shift in the winds to the southwest. Winds will also start to increase with northern waters getting to around 15 kts by tomorrow morning. Showers will be possible with an isolated storm starting early tomorrow afternoon off the Nature Coast and will work its way south through the rest of the day. Rain showers will be lingering into our Sunday as the front starts to push through the area.

This AfternoonW wind around 7 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
TonightVariable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
SaturdaySW wind 6 to 11 kt, with gusts as high as 19 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
Saturday NightWSW wind 7 to 10 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Seas 1 ft or less.
SundayNNW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. A chance of showers, mainly after 1pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
Sunday NightENE wind 5 to 8 kt becoming ESE after midnight. A slight chance of showers. Seas 1 ft or less.
MondaySSE wind 6 to 9 kt becoming SW in the afternoon. A chance of showers. Seas 1 ft or less.
Monday NightSW wind around 7 kt becoming WNW after midnight. Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Seas 1 ft or less.
TuesdayN wind 7 to 10 kt. Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Seas around 1 ft.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:15:55 AM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll