Author Topic: Weather Alerts  (Read 3472 times)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Weather Alerts
« on: March 01, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »
Hello All,
  I am using WxMesg to distribute all our local weather alerts to people via cell, email, and twitter. However, during severe events, we get swamped with SPS (special weather statements) which seemed to reiterate what came before.

I am curious what alerts are most important to people and what you send how as only necessary..

thanks!

Jim

Offline jrswiss

• Free PHP Scripts for your PWS
    • Free PHP scripts for Wunderground PWS & Davis Weather Stations
Re: Weather Alerts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »
Hi Jim
We have a locally weather service here in Switzerland too and end up with the same result.

We was interested to get alerts on 'self-defined events' such as precipitation, temperature and wind gusts. This is why we wrote our own PHP script. Now we have 2 scripts. One scripts for Davis Weather Stations with Weatherlink IP Datalogger, and another for all other PWS at Wunderground. Both scripts send only 1 email per day, if a weather event applies.

Best regards
Roman
JRSWISS

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:07:13 AM »
Weather alerts should include daily forecasts, tropical weather, humidity level, temperature,  cloud cover, pressure, visibility, dew point, UV index, sunrise and sunset. Weather alerts can be send through email or text messages. Make sure that you add mute notification setting in the applications. So, that users could mute the application when they do not want to receive any notifications.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »
Hello All,
  I am using WxMesg

It's been a while since I used WxMesg, but as I recall, it is HIGHLY configurable as to what alerts it disseminates.  I can't see any reason to include SWS or anything similar unless it concerns imminent information.  I believe WxMesg will even search messages for keywords before doing anything with them.  They have a Yahoo Group to help users.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear on what I was asking...

What weather alerts are most people concerned with receiving on their phones, emails, etc. like SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGS, TORNADO WARNINGS...etc...

I know WxMesg is very configurable which is nice... I'm just trying to narrow down the number of alerts going out to those most important. I don't want to flood people in the middle of the night with bogus COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY...

Jim

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
I really only care about the following Warnings- Blizzard, Winter Storm, Severe Thunderstorm, Tornado, and Flash Flood.
-Paul.

anything