Author Topic: It's Alive!!!!!!  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
It's Alive!!!!!!
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »
Up and running without a lightning antenna. Station ID is 722.  Hope to build the antenna this weekend.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: It's Alive!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »
I see it. Congratulations!

722   Benton   United States / Arkansas   North America   10.3   2.4   Running   2013-08-08 01:52:12

I don't remember which antenna you were going to build. The loop or the Gerry's flat panel antenna?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
Looking at building the version 2 of the flat panel.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:13 PM »
Miraculon:
You've been helpful with others as they take their first steps. I just got a notice today that my envelop will be mailed tomorrow.  He says it usually takes 14 days to get here.

I'd better get all the stuff together and get he Eval board ordered, and such.

I have  Weller temp control station with a fine tip pencil, and was going to review construction of the board.  Yes, the low, intermediate and tall comes to mind for order, and bending the two electrolytics over so they don
t rub also is in mind.

But was there link pointed to earlier in these various discussions about getting brushed up on the board cleansing, fluxing, size of rosin core solder to use, etc?

I can't seem to find it and wanted to review the basics and the 'makes it easier' tips before the C.A.R.E package arrives and I can clear the bench to begin slow, deliberate, don't screw up, assembly.
Thanks for any tips or links to some solder and board prep notes.
Dale
 (I'll be station 677, here in Eau Claire, WI.  With Thomas over in Rochester MN we may be a bit close, but for the right geometry, might help provide coverage south of us.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
John, I'm going to get in high gear now that I've been told I'm getting a kit sent this week, should be here in a fortnight.

I was going to do that same antenna, and having consulted with various low frequency ham gurus who also happen to be electrical engineers hope to assemble that with just enameled wire but haven't decided upon the number of wraps yet.  Gerry says just do it.  Have you figured how many turns each coil will be?

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
Hi Dale,

Egon sent mine out on a Monday, and made it to my local USPS the following Tuesday.

I used 24 gauge rosin core solder on my boards with no problems. One thing I did do is I measured every resistor to be sure, because the bands are very hard to read in both size and color. The background on them is light blue. Also, the writing on the IC's is a dark gray on a black background.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »
The version 2 antenna I believe uses 35 turns of 26 gauge enamel wire. Look here: Version 2 Antenna
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the sizing on the solder I need to choose.  I have some really small stuff here but don't remember the gauge.  It is getting so expensive I don't have as many sizes to choose from as before.

I did re-read the Version 2 stuff.  The only concern I had was there was some chatter about backing way down on the number of turns, plus even thinking of bringing out taps to experiment with.  One number I heard was even just 8 turns and things were running well.

I just don't see the need to wrap and wrap and wrap when fewer turns and less wire and less hassle of the rat's nest springing out of the groove and have to start all over.  And why have so much gain that the pre amp is befuddled. 

But if it takes a hundred turns to work well, I'll do it.  I'm just trying to hit the sweet spot.
thanks, good luck, and I'm anxious!

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:26:56 AM »
Miraculon:
You've been helpful with others as they take their first steps. I just got a notice today that my envelop will be mailed tomorrow.  He says it usually takes 14 days to get here.

I'd better get all the stuff together and get he Eval board ordered, and such.

I have  Weller temp control station with a fine tip pencil, and was going to review construction of the board.  Yes, the low, intermediate and tall comes to mind for order, and bending the two electrolytics over so they don
t rub also is in mind.

But was there link pointed to earlier in these various discussions about getting brushed up on the board cleansing, fluxing, size of rosin core solder to use, etc?

I can't seem to find it and wanted to review the basics and the 'makes it easier' tips before the C.A.R.E package arrives and I can clear the bench to begin slow, deliberate, don't screw up, assembly.
Thanks for any tips or links to some solder and board prep notes.
Dale
 (I'll be station 677, here in Eau Claire, WI.  With Thomas over in Rochester MN we may be a bit close, but for the right geometry, might help provide coverage south of us.

DaleReid,

This seems to come the closest to what you are asking about:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18666.msg189821#msg189821

I used Tenma #211040 60/40 Tin/Lead Rosin Core solder to build mine. This is 1mm diameter. In a few cases is was a little large, but generally it was OK. I use Chemtronics Brushclean Flux-Off flux remover. Works great for removing flux to clean the boards (Part No. ES835B).

The trickiest parts to solder are the SOIC8 Op Amps on the amplifier board and the GPS module on the controller board.

It will be great to have you come on line. I am really impressed with the system and pleased that so many WxForum folks are getting in on the act.

Greg H.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
Ditto on the fine solder, and low temp iron... my 20 watter did fine, with supersharp tip for smd.
For me the biggest "Duh" of the deal was testing in close proximity to my computer room, with
all the stuff running.
The interference drove me nuts for a couple of hours.

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
A temperature controlled iron really helps. I have an ancient Weller soldering station that controls the temperature by changing tips. The station tries to keep the tip at 700 degrees (or whatever the tip is designed for) regardless of the heat sink "load" of what it is soldering. It's magical feeling it crank up the heat while soldering large gauge wire on a big solder lug. It's equally magical to see feel it cut back output on little stuff. It can stay on for days without burning up the tip. I've used the same tip for 6 years or so. The 700 degree pointed tip worked great on the SOIC8s and GPS module.

I have an adjustable Weller station with an even finer tip. It would have been even better, but I didn't find it until I already built it the project!

The next best thing to use is that Radio Shack flux goop. I painted up the pads with a Q-tip and stuck the chip on. The flux makes the connection flow almost instantly, reducing the soldering iron contact time with the chip.

A grounded iron (look for the third prong on the plug) is also a must! Static can kill chips in a hurry.

Don

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
OH... #-o How could we fail to mention the static deal! I saved a few sheets of anti static mat from my previous life, and drug it out. I suppose I just took the static protection as a given out of lifelong habit... That's a good point Don, we should have mentioned it earlier. Never mind that I'll bet the devices we use are gate-protected with zeners or similar, we should not have overlooked this in our tips, IMO.
If you don't have antistatic mats, as I was lucky enough to save, mix up a soapy solution of Tide or similar, wipe it on you bench top working surface and let it dry. Turn off the air conditioner, maybe. Get a wrist strap.
other tips, but too many,... maybe we should start a thread with just how to do that for others down the road...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
OH... #-o How could we fail to mention the static deal! I saved a few sheets of anti static mat from my previous life, and drug it out. I suppose I just took the static protection as a given out of lifelong habit... That's a good point Don, we should have mentioned it earlier. Never mind that I'll bet the devices we use are gate-protected with zeners or similar, we should not have overlooked this in our tips, IMO.
If you don't have antistatic mats, as I was lucky enough to save, mix up a soapy solution of Tide or similar, wipe it on you bench top working surface and let it dry. Turn off the air conditioner, maybe. Get a wrist strap.
other tips, but too many,... maybe we should start a thread with just how to do that for others down the road...
Don't forget that those pink bags the parts come in are anti-static, and can sub as a 'mini mat' in a pinch...

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 12:21:40 PM »
Look here: Version 2 Antenna

I'd be worried that someone will take my antenna out with the trash. (or put trash inside the can)  #-o

Greg H.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »
Look here: Version 2 Antenna

I'd be worried that someone will take my antenna out with the trash. (or put trash inside the can)  #-o

Greg H.

I'd be worried about the bomb squad, with that wire coming out of it... should we start taking up a collection for bail money and defense attorneys?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
John,

Are you up and running? I see strike data for #722!

Congrats  =D>

Greg H.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Hi Greg,

Actually I'm not running currently. Been building the antenna. Is that strike data current? If so, that would be incredible considering I've been unplugged and offline for over 24 hours.

Working on the flat panel version 2 antenna. Got the trash can, got the 2 pieces of foam cut, notched, sized, etc. About to start winding copper.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
Your station icon went green and when I filtered against your station number it showed strikes. Curious.
It was just before I sent the "premature" congrats.
They have been just bringing LightningMaps.org online with RED, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Greg H.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Very interesting, Greg that it showed me with strikes. Well, I haven't had chance to wind any copper. Came a toad strangler here at the house. Still raining currently, as a matter of fact. First storm dropped 1.39 inches of rain in about 30 minutes. Power has flopped a couple of times. Another reason I haven't done anything. Detector wouldn't have done any good here anyways. It would have been in interference mode for sure. Heck of a light show, though.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »
You are not showing up on the participants list, and LightningMaps.org isn't showing strikes either. I wonder if random noises were being picked up by the antenna amplifier You probably don't have anything connected and it is at the default "wide-open" gain setting, correct?

Maybe some noises coincided with actual strikes and they got logged. Idle speculation on my part.

Greg H.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
Three thoughts come to mind regarding the mysterious predetection of Benton Arkansas Atmospheric Discharges (BAAD):
1. The Ghost in the Machine.
2. Electro-Anticipatory Clairvoyant Effect caused by a cold solder joint on R59 in the controller.
3. Chemtrail experiments dispersing Thiotimoline into certain cumulus cloud formations (ref: IA http://asimov.info/the-endochronic-properties-of-resublimated-thiotimoline)and CH http://iceagenow.info/2012/05/chemtrails-cloud-seeding-weather-warfare-part-iii/)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Maybe they are firing up HAARP again...

Greg H.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
Hi folks,

It seems my detector is picking up a few strikes despite not having an antenna, which I find just incredible, based on the efficiency rating page.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »

Hi folks,

It seems my detector is picking up a few strikes despite not having an antenna, which I find just incredible, based on the efficiency rating page.
Three thoughts come to mind regarding the mysterious predetection of Benton Arkansas Atmospheric Discharges (BAAD):
1. The Ghost in the Machine.
2. Electro-Anticipatory Clairvoyant Effect caused by a cold solder joint on R59 in the controller.
3. Chemtrail experiments dispersing Thiotimoline into certain cumulus cloud formations (ref: IA http://asimov.info/the-endochronic-properties-of-resublimated-thiotimoline)and CH http://iceagenow.info/2012/05/chemtrails-cloud-seeding-weather-warfare-part-iii/)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
Looking at the stats for the 15 strikes that your station detected, most are quite close, within 8 km or so. The induced voltage may be strong enough to trigger the detector at that range, even without an antenna, if the gain is set high.

Don

Hi folks,

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:09:14 AM by dfroula »