Author Topic: It was a clear morning  (Read 2671 times)

Offline robereno

• Descanso/Sherilton Valley Weather
It was a clear morning
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »
In 1955 my father had just earned the rank of Commander and our family was stationed at the Naval Ordinance Training Center in China Lake California. Even at the age of five I recognized that they were exciting times. The father of one of my classmates had invented the sidewinder missile and even in the first grade, we knew what his dad had done and that it was important. The base was a high security area and when you exited the main gate you passed a large billboard that read, "What you see here, what you do here, what you hear here, when you leave here, let it stay here."
From the window of my first grade class, I could see missiles being test fired from desert launch sites but the most notable test occurred one morning before sun rise. My father herded my brother, sister and I out on the front lawn and we stood in the cool darkness facing east. For just a few seconds it looked like the sun was coming up. The horizon lit up, glowed brightly and returned to darkness. The Nevada test range was over 100 miles away but not far enough to diminish the radiance of an atomic bomb being detonated.

Photo taken by my father
He labeled the slide - Atomic Bomb, seen from our quarters at China Lake

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: It was a clear morning
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
Wow....a conversation about this could go in so many different directions.  Knowing the history of that image makes it amazing and historical.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Motobob

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »
All I can say is "wow"... historic.

Offline Alkibrewing

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 05:05:57 PM »
Robereno,  My uncle was also stationed at China Lake after being discharged from the Navy in 1946. I spent the summer of 1958 there at age 8, and also the summer of 1964. I remember going to the pool and commissary on base, I also remember the sign. What a contrast of environments for a kid from Seattle! Anyway, this is not weather related to the so better get off the thread!

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »
Alkibrewing...this is the Chit-Chat subforum...this is what it's for. ;)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline robereno

• Descanso/Sherilton Valley Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
It was a great place and I learned to love the desert there. But by 1958 we were stationed in Norman Oklahoma. Talk about weather related, I've got a few stories about that place. :-)  Amazingly in 1958 Norman had a navy base.
Robereno,  My uncle was also stationed at China Lake after being discharged from the Navy in 1946. I spent the summer of 1958 there at age 8, and also the summer of 1964. I remember going to the pool and commissary on base, I also remember the sign. What a contrast of environments for a kid from Seattle! Anyway, this is not weather related to the so better get off the thread!

Offline AZdave

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »
That is a GREAT story, thank you for sharing this. I lives in Henderson for a while. I remember going up Mt Charleston and being able to look down at one of the test ranges. So much collapsed land. Hope we never have to light that fuse again.
Information is not knowledge - Albert Einstein