Author Topic: VWS data export  (Read 1005 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
VWS data export
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »
My Vantage Vue has been faithfully recording data for 3 years now.

Long enough that I am starting to worry about the possible loss of that data due to a hard drive failure.
I know many recommend back up with an external hard drive.  Well, my external drive failed last year, taking down
a lot of important stuff that I had on there.

So, can anyone tell me offhand which VWS folders hold my archived data?  I want to send those to the "cloud", where they are stored on multiple servers.
I figure if I do that periodically, even with a bad crash, a big chunk of my historical data would survive.
Anyone else doing this?

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
Re: VWS data export
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
"which VWS folders hold my archived data?" - The answer is not as simpler as you might like.  For simple CSV files that could be imported into a database or spreadsheet, the answer is typically C:\VWS\Data\ and the files in that directory would be YYYYdbase.csv and dbase.csv. The YYYYdbase files contain a single line for each database update interval for the entire year (YYYY), the dbase file contains the same information, but only the "active" subset of records based on your VWS DATABASE SIZE.

VWS also stores data in the C:\VWS\SETUP\SUMMARY\ directory as YYYY.BIN, YYYY_MM.BIN, and YYYY_MM_DD.BIN files - which if Iam correct are used to generate the graphic displays of your data by VWS.

The solution I chose was twofold: I use 7-zip one daily to zip the entire C:\VWS directory tree to VWS.7z file on a DrivePool duplicated drive on my homeserver; I also use a native windows 7 command line ROBOCOPY to copy the entire C:\VWS directory tree to a different DrivePool drive on the home server, but - I have Robocopy running in a command window with its MOT (monitor for changes every x minute) switch -thus robocopy copies only the files which have changed during the last x minutes, overwriting their older versions on the server. In this way I always have at least one "good current" copy of all my data and setup available. If x was set for 60 then the oldest copy in the event of a crash would be just an hour old.

If something like dropbox is your cloud, then you could use either or both free methods and point them to your dropbox drive.

Steve

anything