Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Checking in
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Hi folks, believe it or not I'm still alive!

I have had a full plate lately and have not made it on here as often as I would like- although I have found time to at least check in and read posts occasionally.

We have been very busy at AcuRite, developing some exciting new products! I just wanted to check in with the group here and see if there is anything specific that needs to be addressed, or if you have any questions I may be able to answer. I know it's a bit open-ended, but I want you to know myself and AcuRite are always here to listen and help- your feedback directly impacts the products we develop!

Thanks!

Ryan Torgerson
Product Designer
AcuRite Product Development Team

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Checking in
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
Yay!  Glad you're back!   \:D/

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
Welcome back!  Could you guys maybe standardize on the tower sensors?  And make them avaialbe at the big box places like Lowes etc.?  Can't get any in Canada to add to my 5-n-1.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
I echo what George said...and I'm glad you're still alive!  Good to have you back...

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:40 AM »
Rhino! So nice to see an official posting on an enthusiast board.  :grin:

You already have the keys to success to beat that "other" company. And by other I mean whichever competitor you choose. Of course, there could be improvements.

1. An API to get sensor data via the bridge. It's going to get decoded with a SDR or ncat, no matter what - so might as well make it easily accessible.  :-)
2. Increased frequency (as in rapidity) of sensor data, so we can better detect wind gusts and such.
3. More wireless sensors, like soil temp and humidity.
4. 24 hour FARS.
5. Keep it affordable as it is now.

You guys can be the darlings of weather geeks everywhere. And we geeks tell our friends what to buy.  I love the fact that the tower sensors (so far) have unique addresses. That BBQ thermometer? Send that data to the bridge so I can monitor a smoker from afar.

Keep it open. Keep it affordable. And my wallet will speak.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
Welcome back Rhino! Good to see your post again.
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
Rhino! So nice to see an official posting on an enthusiast board.  :grin:

You already have the keys to success to beat that "other" company. And by other I mean whichever competitor you choose. Of course, there could be improvements.

1. An API to get sensor data via the bridge. It's going to get decoded with a SDR or ncat, no matter what - so might as well make it easily accessible.  :-)
2. Increased frequency (as in rapidity) of sensor data, so we can better detect wind gusts and such.
3. More wireless sensors, like soil temp and humidity.
4. 24 hour FARS.
5. Keep it affordable as it is now.

You guys can be the darlings of weather geeks everywhere. And we geeks tell our friends what to buy.  I love the fact that the tower sensors (so far) have unique addresses. That BBQ thermometer? Send that data to the bridge so I can monitor a smoker from afar.

Keep it open. Keep it affordable. And my wallet will speak.

Number 2 is THE reason I have never purchased your stations. The second reason? The plastics your wind cups and vane are made from. I have seen so many photos of destroyed cups from across the U.S. ... It's sad. The price can't be beat for a 5 in 1 station. The reliability and frequency on the other hand, can. I personally, and honestly, will say I would never entertain purchasing one of your stations (your being Acu-Rite's) until, and IF the frequency of the wind speed and so on updates were improved to something like Davis' Vue unit which is every 2 seconds.

Just being honest. You wanted feedback, there ya go.

Don in Ohio

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »
Some people don't care about that kind of wind resolution.  If it's important to you, then go ahead and pay hundreds more.  I know I won't being a Davis system again.... at least not until they make some serious innovations and changes in their hardware.

Anyway, if you explore how the wind data is captured, you might realize the frequency of transmission rate isn't all that necessary.  The 5n1 samples with a 4-second window.  The highest value recorded gets transmitted every 18 seconds.  If Acurite took that 4-second window down to 3, then it might meet the WMO definition for capturing gust data.  Close enough for me.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »
Some people don't care about that kind of wind resolution.  If it's important to you, then go ahead and pay hundreds more.  I know I won't being a Davis system again.... at least not until they make some serious innovations and changes in their hardware.

Anyway, if you explore how the wind data is captured, you might realize the frequency of transmission rate isn't all that necessary.  The 5n1 samples with a 4-second window.  The highest value recorded gets transmitted every 18 seconds.  If Acurite took that 4-second window down to 3, then it might meet the WMO definition for capturing gust data.  Close enough for me.

Great!! Congrats on the fact you have a system that meets your requirements. I, on the other hand, know people with the 5 in 1 and they tell me if there is a high guts of say, 25, and the sample on either side of that 25 is not 25, they miss the gust, it does not register. As one who keeps daily records, this is simply something I can not afford to miss out on.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »

Great!! Congrats on the fact you have a system that meets your requirements. I, on the other hand, know people with the 5 in 1 and they tell me if there is a high guts of say, 25, and the sample on either side of that 25 is not 25, they miss the gust, it does not register. As one who keeps daily records, this is simply something I can not afford to miss out on.

I can't say I've noticed that.  I've spot checked my units with hand-held wind meters over the past couple of years and have never noticed such.

I can imagine if you aren't aware of the delay, then you might think the speed was missed, but I'm sure it gets recorded.

Offline jweir43

• RST Engineering
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
Hi folks, believe it or not I'm still alive!
Thanks!
Ryan Torgerson
Product Designer
AcuRite Product Development Team

Hello, Rhino.  I have a failed 5n1 fan in a complete assembly.  I'd like to take a shot at locating and resolving the fan problem but in order to do that I'm going to need some technical data for the device.  In particular, I'd like to get a schematic for the fan portion of the assembly including the solar cells.  I could care less about the rest of the electronics.  I would also like to find out what the ratings are on the fan, including rated voltage, rated start and running currents, and anything else about the motor that you care to share.

I'll be happy to share the results with you and the rest of the assembled multitudes.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 07:26:18 PM »

Exactly! Affordability, and plenty of 3rd party options to explore till your heart is content!

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline metzeric

• Contributor
    • www.niagaracountyweatherwire.com
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »
The only reason i went with a different company was the length between wind gust readings. Having only 1 wind reading every 18 seconds you miss out on the entire wind gust and it is not acceptable in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:34:34 PM by metzeric »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 08:37:14 PM »
The only reason i went with a different company was the length between wind gust readings. Having only 1 wind reading every 18 seconds you miss out on the entire wind gust and it is not acceptable in my opinion.

Look at my explanation above.  You aren't missing out on an "entire wind gust".

The frequency of reporting is not necessarily related to capturing the highest wind speed.  The relevant issue is the sampling window of 4 seconds.  The WMO defines gusts at 3 seconds, so it's actually one second away from meeting that definition.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »

Look at my explanation above.  You aren't missing out on an "entire wind gust".

The frequency of reporting is not necessarily related to capturing the highest wind speed.  The relevant issue is the sampling window of 4 seconds.  The WMO defines gusts at 3 seconds, so it's actually one second away from meeting that definition.

The cost for one second of wind data is simply not worth it at a hobbyist level. nincehelser is spot on in this observation! The bang for the buck obviously belongs to AcuRite! 

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 11:37:30 PM »
I do agree that we can't have it all (cheap plus pro-level components). And I bought an Acurite because the Davis prices are too high, and they've been resting on their laurels for far too long with the VP2. That, and the fact that I can (with hacks) get the raw data with multiple Tower sensors is what keeps me loyal.

That said, would I give Acurite more money for a 5N1 that sent data more frequently,  FARS with a solar-charged battery? Yup. I'd also like better options for the consoles. A color overlay on top of a standard LCD display is not acceptable in my opinion, and the limited viewing angle is rather poor. I don't think they make the newer black-background LCDs for the 5N1.

A quick search of decoding 433/915mhz signals shows how much desire there is for enthusiasts like us to have easy access to sensor data. Not just with Acurite, but Davis, Oregon, and lots of other devices.

In the end, who is Acurite marketing to? In regard to devices, there's the Sparkfun/Adafruit crowd like me who loves delving into the nitty gritty of things. But I also have a Withings scale that easily pairs with my iPhone and utilizes HealthKit - and costs way more than a standard analog scale. I'm sure there's a happy medium in their somewhere.  :-)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
In the end, who is Acurite marketing to? In regard to devices, there's the Sparkfun/Adafruit crowd like me who loves delving into the nitty gritty of things. But I also have a Withings scale that easily pairs with my iPhone and utilizes HealthKit - and costs way more than a standard analog scale. I'm sure there's a happy medium in their somewhere.  :-)

I think that pretty much sums it up.  Acurite is marketing to the larger market.  I'd say "Walmart", but some take offense at that.

What really scorches my cookies is the people that act like some conspiracy is going on.  It's basic economics.  Good craftsman don't blame their tools.

I offer this as an example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWPysY0Wis0

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »
I'm not a Walmart fan by any means, but I agree with your statement, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that type of marketing. I would rather many thousands of people become weather enthusiasts than just a few of us.

As far as conspiracy theories go - indeed, companies need to make up the costs to pay their employees+benefits, R&D, etc. But Davis took the approach of "people want our data for free, so we'll start locking down the serial port" with their green-dot logger. With that move, Acurite got my business. I just think they could sell to both Walmart fans as well as Adafruit fans by unleashing access to the data.

I'll admit to being a bit of an enigma. I love open source and do Linux stuff for work and hobby, but am perfectly comfortable with the Apple walled garden.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 12:32:01 AM »
I'll admit to being a bit of an enigma. I love open source and do Linux stuff for work and hobby, but am perfectly comfortable with the Apple walled garden.

Me, too.  The world is large enough to sustain multiple models, and I expect those models will be ever-changing.

Choose your wave and create as best you can!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
The aspirating fans here lately, do not run properly to maintain an ambient temperature, at least the one that I bought at the beginning of the year with two solar panels doesn't. It worked nicely for a couple of weeks and then I started seeing problems. My temperature would run at times 8 degrees high but most of the time during mid day it would run up and down between 5* & 8*. I took off the dual panel and attached a single panel model I had that was almost 2.5 years old. Everything is normal now, and I only see the 2 degree rise when the sun shines on the housing above ambient. This is acceptable for me, and my Gladstone ratings are nearly spot on.

What I would like to be able to do is purchase a separate anemometer / wind direction vane (wireless to bridge) that updates every 3 seconds at least, and can be mounted on it's own at proper height, then I could bring my 5 n 1 down to the ground level. It is too high maintenance to have it at the right height for wind. I find I need to clean out insects too often, and junk in the rain meter.  I don't want thermo/hygro like the 3n1. I think if you sold this on it's own or in a bundle you would do well for those of us who want true gust recording.

Offline Rising Barometer

• dorn2@outlook.com
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Hi Ryan,

It would be great if the aspirating fan issue gets resolved. That said, kudos to your wonderful on-line customer support staff.

Your products have a tremendous appeal, good pricepoints, are easy to set up and the displays are bright and easy to read.

But I would gladly pay more for reasonable reliablilty.

Can't wait to see what your new products are going to be !

Best wishes and thank you ! ! !

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:14:01 PM by Rising Barometer »