Poll

How many would Volunteer to leave WU as it seem to be overwelmed with personal weather station so the few of us that are left can enjoy WU like the old days

Would Volunteer to leave WU
Would NOT Leave WU
Would rather see WU just go away
Would NOT like to see WU go away

Author Topic: So this is what needs to be done  (Read 1520 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
So this is what needs to be done
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
 :sad: ](*,)
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: So this is what needs to be done
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
Its went from bad to worse. Even PWS data has been unreliable and down this morning with my 2 stations.

I'm considering dumping WU and just linking CWOP data via MesoWest with 5 minute updates. Unfortunately no more live rapid fire data doing this.
Randy

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »
I can't believe WU has deteriorated to the point where nothing on the site is reliable any more.  I'm exploring alternatives.  Sorry it has come to this point.  What does this say about IBM's ability to manage big data?  Maybe a few letters to trade publications will wake up management and get permanent fixes in place

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »
I just stopped sending data from both stations, this ends after 14 years.
I'm seeing no end in sight because they have no clue what their doing and I don't want 3 hour old conditions being relayed to public as current.
Randy

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
Maybe a few letters to trade publications will wake up management and get permanent fixes in place

Or a TV interview aired during the News.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline bro931

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
First the end of net neutrality.  Now WU is going down the tubes.

Got to wonder when the whole internet is going to disappear.  :sad:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
First the end of net neutrality.  Now WU is going down the tubes.

Got to wonder when the whole internet is going to disappear.  :sad:
Just read yesterday the internet will be completely gone on Thursday July 12th at 1:32 PM.
 :-P
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Those of us who bought Bloomsky for whatever reason when we have a top of the line professional station,  had a similar situation here.   Bloomsky decided that they were going to take advantage of the Amazon cloud.   When Bloomsky (BSK)  moved to the new server, everything shut down.   They had problems with stations no long working and all that. now they are fine after several weeks.

With Bloomsky it is a serious problem,  everything is cloud based, one cannot access the weather data, the camera any thing.  It has to go through the internet to their server, then back to the smart phone through an app even on the internet. Essentially when the server is down, everything stops.  A real worry.

With a weather station as we have, we still can access the station,see the data and do with as we wish.

Whether or not  you decide to send data or stop it,  that is up to you.   Weather Underground , as mom used to say,  will cry all the way to the bank.  that is  If we stop,then they do not have to deal with our problems.

Who are we hurting if we stop the data flow in the long run.  Maybe the people who rely on our data.

OK enough from me.  I am going outside and enjoy what is left of this over cast 40F day . It is damp, cold and the rest of the week we are going down into the deep freeze.  WU is welcome for my data.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
On their facebook page, its funny how they keep posting weather related articles but all the comments ignore the stories and just complain about the state of Wu, and yet still not a peep from WU.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 05:27:57 PM »
On their facebook page, its funny how they keep posting weather related articles but all the comments ignore the stories and just complain about the state of Wu, and yet still not a peep from WU.

I can't seem to see any user posts on their facebook page.  Did they disable that function?

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
After 8+ years of posting data to my WU page I decided today to make the call to disable uploads. I will continue to upload to my CWOP page and use my MESOWEST data to upload to my personal weather website similar to what you said you would do/are doing Randy.

- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »

I can't seem to see any user posts on their facebook page.  Did they disable that function?
Yes but you can comment beneath the stories.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline KennyBKK

• Khu Khot WX Station
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
I'm not only send data just to WU but current view solely from WU page.  If WU is not reliable, data still send but I'll view forecast from other site.
Ambient Weather WS-1900
WUnderground, PWS - IPATHUMT2
CWOP - EW4214
http://kanok.net/pws