Author Topic: weatherlink 2.0 update time  (Read 1175 times)

Offline WXgeek

weatherlink 2.0 update time
« on: November 15, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
Hi! I have the Vantage pro 2 and noticed with the new weather link 2.0 bulletin page it can only update every min as opposed to the software based version ( no longer supported with new features) that updates in real time, kinda miss that honestly and I'm guessing due to the cloud server there is no way to get real time reporting? thoughts? other than that the interface is much more up to date.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: weatherlink 2.0 update time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
WeatherLink V1.0 was never real-time, WeatherLink 2.0 is no different, around the 60 second update, WeatherLink (the) software has not changed either so I'm not sure what you are actually missing, nothing has changed.

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:02:31 AM »
sorry to confuse you but the PC software i got that you load up locally updates every 2.5 seconds, the browser version is 1 min

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 05:14:13 AM »
sorry to confuse you but the PC software i got that you load up locally updates every 2.5 seconds, the browser version is 1 min

And as previously mentioned, nothing has changed, maybe you are confused between WeatherLink (the PC software as you call it) and Weatherlink.com, nothing has changed so don't see what your problem is? The "cloud server" as you call it (WeatherLink.com 1.0 or 2.0) has always updated every minute, nothing has changed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:16:07 AM by Mattk »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
The Bulletin page in Weatherlink software (on your computer) does update with the ISS to console at the usual few seconds interval, as MattK says no change with this at all.

The Bulletin in www.weatherlink.com v.2.0 site updates to what I can tell every 1 minute (for the free version, and not sure what the paid version does).  This is a new upload option for non-subscriber weatherlink.com users.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Thank you, I am not new to weather observing (25 years running) but new to the Davis network, my question was concerning the difference between the 2 different bulletin pages (local and weather link.com) 2.5 seconds vs 1 min, both are called current conditions but the update time is vastly different. i have the paid version and the best update time you can get is 1 min, i was just wondering if it could be possible to attain a faster update time than the current 1 min. I realize nothing has changed but with Davis moving away from supporting the PC software I was curious if weather link .com's update time could be improved. I don't have any pressing issues with the network and honestly it works very well and i'm enjoying it.

Thank you for all the info guys :-)

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »

And as previously mentioned, nothing has changed, maybe you are confused between WeatherLink (the PC software as you call it) and Weatherlink.com, nothing has changed so don't see what your problem is? The "cloud server" as you call it (WeatherLink.com 1.0 or 2.0) has always updated every minute, nothing has changed.

I understand this and thank you for your info

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »
As WeatherLink.com (v1 & v2) are cloud server based applications the thought of uploading near real-time (<= 2.5 seconds) would put the shudders through any server administrator let alone have the capacity within such a network to allow literally hundreds of thousands of stations the ability to be consistently uploading 24/7, the processing overhead would be astronomical 

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
this is what i thought, I guess if i want an extension of my VP2 display i will use the PC software and when i'm outside my network i will use weather link.com

thanks again

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 06:47:05 PM »
As WeatherLink.com (v1 & v2) are cloud server based applications the thought of uploading near real-time (<= 2.5 seconds) would put the shudders through any server administrator let alone have the capacity within such a network to allow literally hundreds of thousands of stations the ability to be consistently uploading 24/7, the processing overhead would be astronomical

not to beat a dead horse but Ambient must have some deal with weather underground because they have a rapid update option that updates data to WU every 18 to 30 seconds, thats kinda nice imho although Davis makes a better weather station.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
30 seconds would only double the processing overhead and no doubt if a provider saw there was a business case ($$'s) for such a service and users were prepared to pay  a premium cost for such a service then I am sure things could come together.

However in the real world there is really no requirement for such services on cloud based systems, real time if its that important is more a local direct connection type function? Cloud based systems can basically provide the same info/feedback using minimum, maximum, range, averages etc over say 1 minute and without the need for excessive bandwidths. The worst abuse of such data manipulation is where manufacturers claim things like 10hz output which is easy to do but in reality the data is only being computed every 1-2 seconds so is a bit of a con. 

One also has to question the whole purpose of say 5hz updates, like what is the relevance of reporting wind speed 5 times a second when most are using equipment that is really not capable of reporting what is basically useable feedback. This apparent thinking that more and more data beyond the practical capability of the systems is starting to get out of hand a little I think.     

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
30 seconds would only double the processing overhead and no doubt if a provider saw there was a business case ($$'s) for such a service and users were prepared to pay  a premium cost for such a service then I am sure things could come together.

However in the real world there is really no requirement for such services on cloud based systems, real time if its that important is more a local direct connection type function? Cloud based systems can basically provide the same info/feedback using minimum, maximum, range, averages etc over say 1 minute and without the need for excessive bandwidths. The worst abuse of such data manipulation is where manufacturers claim things like 10hz output which is easy to do but in reality the data is only being computed every 1-2 seconds so is a bit of a con. 

One also has to question the whole purpose of say 5hz updates, like what is the relevance of reporting wind speed 5 times a second when most are using equipment that is really not capable of reporting what is basically useable feedback. This apparent thinking that more and more data beyond the practical capability of the systems is starting to get out of hand a little I think.   
I will totally agree with you regarding rapid update times are more useful for locally watching current weather.

anything