Author Topic: No longer saving archive or csv files?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline RichieW13

No longer saving archive or csv files?
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
I have only had VWS for about a month now, so I'm still figuring things out.

For the first 3 weeks or so I was using VWS in trial mode (so I got the cool NOAA reports).  I just registered my software 2 days ago, so now the software reverted to basic mode (no more NOAA reports).

In looking at files in my /archive/daily folder, it looks like VWS has stopped saving yyyymmdd.txt files for each day.
In looking in the /csv folder, it looks like VWS has stopped saving yymmdd.csv files for each day.

Does the basic version of VWS just not keep that data?  Does it save someplace else?

Offline cdenice

Re: No longer saving archive or csv files?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Mine are in C:\vws\stations\<station name>\data\archive

Hope that helps.

Offline RichieW13

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
Mine are in C:\vws\stations\<station name>\data\archive

Hope that helps.

I don't have a \statisons\ subdirectory.

Offline cdenice

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
Hi,

From the vws program 'menu bar' click 'settings' then 'file srttings'. Now make sure your 'file parameter settings' are set up correctly.

Hope that helps. :-)

Offline RichieW13

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
Hi,

From the vws program 'menu bar' click 'settings' then 'file srttings'. Now make sure your 'file parameter settings' are set up correctly.

Hope that helps. :-)

I guess that option is only available in the Pro and Internet versions.  So apparently, the basic version just doesn't keep logs of all the data?  Very disappointing.  I spent $150 for the Oregon Scientific weather station under the belief that it came with software that enables me to keep logs of all the weather data, but no, I have to spend $30 more to do that.  ugg.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
Not to rain on your parade, but I spent over $800 and 6 years on OS equipment and untold hours correcting the very logs you want due to OS introduced errors etc. The $30 was by far the best part of the whole deal. I finally went to Davis, hasn't missed a beat yet, no spurious data, no dropped corrupted data lines in the dbase.csv, no extra daysum dates, no extraneous .bin date files, nada. I honestly hope you don't have my experience, but if you opt for the internet version, check ALL your files periodically to make sure you're getting correct data.

Offline RichieW13

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Not to rain on your parade, but I spent over $800 and 6 years on OS equipment and untold hours correcting the very logs you want due to OS introduced errors etc. The $30 was by far the best part of the whole deal. I finally went to Davis, hasn't missed a beat yet, no spurious data, no dropped corrupted data lines in the dbase.csv, no extra daysum dates, no extraneous .bin date files, nada. I honestly hope you don't have my experience, but if you opt for the internet version, check ALL your files periodically to make sure you're getting correct data.

What do you mean "I finally went to Davis"?

I probably won't get the internet version, because I don't intend to publish the data (at least not now).  I just like to record weather data for my personal curiosity.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
I bought Davis equipment and retired the OS. I started the same way, with a few trinkets just for fun, then stepped up a bit and added a couple of things, it grows, then when I decided to move to MX I found they didn't have a weather station in this area so I bought an integrated system and that was when I went to the Internet version. I brought it down with me and thought it would be "fun" and a hobby. It was fun most of the time but I needed data logging when the storms hit and the power is out (common here) so I got the 200, it was a disaster, finally reverted to the 100.

By that time I was getting a lot of input from the community, the daily hits was probably 1,500 and it continued to grow. All the time I was looking at Davis thinking it was too expensive for the budget. In Jan of this year I got a second 200 which is considerably better, but still finicky. In March I was planning a trip to TX and finally pulled the trigger and spent what was needed to go all the way to Davis. I just looked at the stats and yesterday was only 2,177 hits, but May 5 was 3,820 and this is the quiet time of the year, when the rain starts it will jump to the 4-5 thousand daily. In Feb we have a big chili cookoff and it was rainy (unusual that time of year) and one day we hit 10,000 so you never know what your personal curiosity might bring.

We have a fiesta in Sept where they make paper hot air balloons which little smoldering fire baskets under them, release them and the winner is the highest etc. Now, I know that sounds insane, but by that time it's been raining for 3 months and all our houses are concrete, steel and brick so chance of fire is extremely low - except one came down on a guys big canvas awning and burned it and the deck furniture. He contacted me for proof of wind direction etc. for insurance purposes, so at least once we served an actual purpose.

It was never meant to be this big, this expensive or this time consuming, but I do it for the community and it gives me a responsibility. After a lifetime of work and responsibility you need something to remain relevant (at least in your own mind - ha).