Author Topic: Blue Assembly Instructions:  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Blue Assembly Instructions:
« on: May 07, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »
As soon as a shortage of necessary parts for assembly is eased, the first 100 BLUE systems will be fabricated, and shortly afterward, available for order... interested folk should go to Blitzortung.org, to Public Forum topic http://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=1656
Note that there are a couple of clarifications that may be needed in the "Assembly" instructions referenced in that post: http://en.blitzortung.org/Compendium/Documentations/Documentation_2016-05-04_Blue_PCB_20_1.pdf
Anericas Region Operators might double check at
http://sferics.us/bo1/index.php?topic=231.0 or at http://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=1678 for any obvious errors, or something that seems strange
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:32:43 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Blue Assembly Instructions:
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
Mike,
This is the first I've seen these instructions, so thanks for providing the link.

A couple things:  To update the firmware on Blue, we'll HAVE to have that programmer?  Seems like a huge imposition upon the hundreds of users who had been able to just connect to RED with their LAN and feed it the update.

Maybe it isn't required, but an optional way to get the firmware update?  Can you clarify?

Secondly, I see that the instructions say that the Efield is connected to the board with double shielded 75 ohm cable.  It used to be up to 1000' was allowed for the cable length but now says 20 meters?  Wow, that is a major problem, since the 'get it away from all other noise' means at least a 100' run, if not a wee bit longer for me.  Bummer.

Maybe again I got it wrong, but seems a major step backwards, especially for those folks who have a pretty quiet location only in one spot, and noise up the ying yang everywhere else.  This is not good.

Thanks for any further information, or clarifying my worries.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Yes, if you check the 'sfrerics' or Blitzortung links, on internal forum,  you'll see I've asked about the same things,..,.
NO!  [-X....you do NOT need the external STM device! (Unless you really screw up!)  Updates the same as RED from Web GUI..

I've asked about the coax length,... I think that is simply a typo...although I do know they're really trying to standardize,... let's wait for clarification...
On  RED, any delay was actually insignificant up to a quarter mile or so.. on E field coax... so they said. Again... the shorter the better...

Blue has a much more accurate 1PPS pulse than red... so, we'll see....

Actually, no... not a step backwards... BLUE Basic, as I have it, currently is overall better.... not a lot, ..it is a child of RED, but better... and it depends on many things,, but, as I get more used to BLUE, I like it a bit better than RED, in some respects...It's really not 'fair' to set up both systems side by side,.. we have those 'built in' biases, and habits... with the 'add ons' and updated firmware, and server processing, which I think Egon is playing with as we speak, there will be an enormous shift in overall network capability... now, I said NETWORK... not station!  Like with RED, we'll need to 'evolve' this... especially since the developers were delayed, with 'career' and 'family' situations, this may be a bit slow...and I think The trio felt a bit 'rushed' to get hardware out, even though none of us were completely happy with it,... it's been awhile since RED production!  So... gotta get some systems out there!... And Blue Basic is every bit as good as RED Final, if an operator will optimize, as we learned with RED... but the potential is much greater...  my concern is that a few will think this more 'Plug'n'Play' and it ain't... but it's closer in a few respects... like 'construction'... but there must be some knowledge of what it's about and theory to make this thing work... just like RED, but not necessarily as much 'technical' background as either RED or Green...but they will need to have SOME,... this is NOT for 'beginners'... there needs to be some background,.... BLITZORTUNG has never been a Boltek clone, or similar...

The production 1 initial test release to a few of us is somewhat different that production 2 will be,... as will 3, 4, etc...   
I've noticed a lot of differences between RED and BLUE, especially with current BETA firmware, and what Egon's apparently doing on the server... and I must confess, I'm a bit 'at sea' right now, wondering what they're playing with... I've noted a few things that are a bit -non-sense-  at the present moment,.... especially with interference mode, ... it almost seems that he's looking at a timestamp for signal, as much as 'signals per second'.,...
ONE thing they've got to resolve is the optional filters,... I've major questions about this.... I've watched too many discussions, and there are a couple of serious questions I personally need resolved, but that will be later... meantime, don't opt for any filters... you can add them later... Greg H or I can give you a link to order them.... and you don't need the SMA connectors, unless you want to send something to an Oscope, or whatever.... and I've an Amazon source (prime) for about 85 cents each

Prob need to edit this somewhat, but... h*** with it for the moment  :twisted:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 11:24:58 PM »
Well, that IS a bit of relief.

Yeah, the work to develop, test and produce a whole new board, hoping to not only stamp out the old mistakes but leave room for development in the future, is a mammoth undertaking.  I can't imagine doing something like this, so hat's off to them, and really doing it as a very intense hobby that benefits the rest of us, too.  I know my family would have reservations of me doing something like that, even if (and I don't) have the talent to do what they are doing.

So I will get in line for a Blue, but I thought from the info given that I'd really be in the out with some new restrictions, etc.

Good to have you with this alternative forum, for more personal gives and takes, more like a few beers in our own clubhouse as you point out.  A bit more open and relaxed than on the national and indeed world wide forums.

Thx.
 Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:44 PM »

So I will get in line for a Blue, but I thought from the info given that I'd really be in the out with some new restrictions, etc.

Thx.
 Dale

HUh????  Whatcha mean?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 12:16:20 AM »
Too late at night!

I was trying to say that with some of the new restrictions (or as it seems) and with my location needing the Efield out in the woods aways, that Blue with it's more standardization of parts, assembly, etc. (even to some degree wanting to not have folks experiment with antenna design, etc) that I'd have to abandon the idea of getting a Blue station, just because I wouldn't be able to find as good of an antenna siting with the restriction of where the box has to be and where the quietest place for the antennas are.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
Yeah,.. gotcha...
I think the "20 meters" for blue E field coax is a typo... waiting for response on that.
The 20 meters for H shielded CAT5/6 is confirmed... shorter the better, in both cases.
Experiment is what this project is about,... there's a broad line between 'accuracy' and 'experimentation'...
and I think we all may want it to be as accurate as possible... which comes from experimentation...

for example, the kit assembly for BLUE has a 'tab' on the E preamp.  that part of the 'board' is a 'test' E field probe antenna.... but should be replaced by "your" E probe,
however the results using it may surprise you!
another: the H preamp has a jumper, (awaiting clarification) for each antenna which should be 'closed' for loops other than ferrite (???)
another: experimentation with the optional filters...

So, a lot needs to be done with Blue Firmware, and the 2nd run has some significant changes, and there will be a different E field preamp.. but not sure if it is in "production 2"... but suspect it will be...

I do think, as we bring BLUE on board that we might do better as a network, to use ferrites, and to hold back a bit on the 'options' and experimentation... as an old family doctor told me once: "I need to see you healthy... before I see you ill"...  \:D/

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:36:15 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything