Author Topic: $1000 for set up  (Read 26715 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: $1000 for set up
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »
The solar and UV sensor must use the ISS to communicate with console/envoy, but they can be placed up to 125 feet from the sensor suite using and extension cable.
Andrew

I hadnt thought about grounding the anemometer but I guess I should do that to be on the safe side.   I will plan on it thanks for the tip.

After looking over some of the Davis manuals it appears that I would be able to place a solar sensor on the anemometer mast because I will already have a transmitter at the remote location for the anemometer.   Am I reading that correctly?    Mike

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
Maybe some day Davis will come up with a wireless transmitter for them like they have for the anemometer. If they can for the anemometer why not the solar/uv sensors? But then again, the ISS needs to be in the sun for it's solar pannel(s). So why would you need to seperate the solar/uv sensors?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2009, 08:54:38 PM »
Agreed, as I said in another post, the SIM on the anny xmitter, and temp xmitter look like they have all the right parts, its just getting the console to process what it sends...  It will process a stand along signal from any sensor but UV/Solar... but to go one step further if it could process a mix of sensors on one non-ISS xmitter it would be best.
Maybe some day Davis will come up with a wireless transmitter for them like they have for the anemometer. If they can for the anemometer why not the solar/uv sensors?

The ISS only needs some solar to power the batteries, it can last months without, then charge up on really sunny/long days.  However for the solar and UV sensors to accurately report, they should be in view of the sun from dusk to dawn.  Hence wanting to get them up on the roof.   Andrew
But then again, the ISS needs to be in the sun for it's solar pannel(s). So why would you need to seperate the solar/uv sensors?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline prkguy

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.   The location where I will be placing the anemometer (about 600 ft from the ISS) has much more sunlight than where the ISS currently sits so I thought that might be the better location for a solar sensor.    Unfortunately due to vandalism concerns I cant place the ISS in the ideal location.     I think where I have it mounted now should get some good temperature readings and rain measurements.   A couple of days ago we had some rain.  The davis gauge read .49 which was the same as my cocorahs gauge.   Im very pleased so far.  Im having a little bit of trouble figuring out the various html templates to build a website but I expected that.   Mike

Offline prkguy

« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
Ok I have been asked how much server space is required to run the "current vantage Pro" webpage template.   Does anyone know the answer to that or how I could find out?   Mike

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
Each update of my site is less than 1 meg. So including the archive file that are stored there plus a few other files. Everthing is probably less than a 2 megs.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »
My sorta fancy Current WL page is 24 kb.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline prkguy

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »
I found that I can check the size by clicking on properties.   It is pretty minimal at 15kb.

Ok here is an update.  We went ahead and moved the anemometer today ( I have attached a pic).    Even though it has only been up for a few hours I can really notice the difference in recorded wind speeds.    I used an old satellite dish mounting bracket (thanks to the forum for that idea) and a total of 15' of Radio Shack 16 gauge steel mast.    The anemometer is 10' above the peak of the roof and 27' off the ground.

I imagine that even this mast without much equipment will tend to sway during a strong wind.   Is it ok to have a small amount of sway during a heavy wind or do I need to make sure the mast is rock solid?

Also the anemometer/transmitter is 700' away from the console which sits on my office desk.   I checked the reception dignostics and the packet signal strength varies from the low 20s to the mid 30s.   It would flat line once each minute or so.   I never did see consecutive bad packets and after a couple of hours I had 97% of good data packets.

Does this sound like adequate reception?    I suppose when the trees leaf out in the spring I might see a change.  Mike

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »
Data sounds OK but you are close to the tx limit I'd say.  As for the mast, mine has been in 90 kph winds and there is not much sway to speak of.  At that speed, who can really tell???
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything