Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue  (Read 3643 times)

Offline jliddil

Davis Vantage Vue
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Ok not really into weather except that I live in the Northeast US and if you wait 5 minutes the weather changes. Had a basic OS unit (BAR888A) for quite a few years. Works most of the time. Always wanted a bit more info like is the wind in wind blowing in the winter and I have to deal with snow. Or how hot AND humid is it like it has been here the last few days.

So I am looking at Davis Vantage Vue. Via Ambient Weather the price is right and it appears from what I have read this good reliable unit. And if I want to get geeky I get the data logger since I vegetable garden and it would be nice to see the weather data over the summer.

Not looking to broadcast on the internet. Just a reliable unit I can mount and forget. Me and my wife can see what is happening outside at glance.
Comments welclome

JD

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:59:34 AM »
I've had my Vue since October after my OS station bit the dust.

So far, I've had zero problems. I've always gotten 2 thumbs up on my CWOP data check and it's never had to be reset, restarted, etc. and never dropped the wireless connection.

You have 3 options for data communications from the Vue console, serial, USB, or IP. To connect directly to a pc, I think the majority of the people use serial for reliability but many others have had good luck with USB. I use a serial connection.
For no pc connection, IP is the choice. The data is sent directly to Davis and you can view it from their website.

But I highly recommend the Vue.

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
I concur with Steve.

The Vue is a wonderful product that is quite simple to set-up. The all-in-one sensor suite is a smart design.

If, as you say, you want to set it and forget it, go with the Vue! The price is right and the unit is a workhorse.
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline PCBob

• Avondale Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
Another Vote for the VUE, had mine since April and zero problems in setup.

I bought the USB version and use the USB-Serial driver provided by Davis to run the other software.

Plant City Bob
------------------------
PWS Weather - Avondale
CWOP - DW5003
Weather Underground - KFLPLANT15
CoCoRaHS - FL-HB-68
Vantage Vue
Cumulus 1.8.9
Windows XP

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:51:02 PM »
The Vue is good, you don't need to spend that much though - especially if you are sure you don't want PC connectivity.
Various other makes such as Oregon and La Crosse seem surprisingly robust considering the unhealthy combination of electronics and constantly changing weather they are out in.

anything