Author Topic: Convergence Zone  (Read 588 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Convergence Zone
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
We have a fairly common event happen in our location.  When the weather comes in off the Pacific Ocean down the Straits of Juan de Fuca around the north end of the Olympic mountains, it can have a mind of it's own.  At the same time we can have weather coming around the south end of the Olympics moving north through Puget Sound with incredible energy.  When these two meet, most meteorologists call it a battleground.  We had one today.  You can see the collision and the meteorological confusion that ensues....  Thought I'd share a couple of time lapses.  The first is Cam1 and then Cam 2 which give a close up perspective.  The second is the two cams combined in a panorama.  My next webcam enclosure is going to have windshield wipers.....  :)

Cam 1 then cam 2: 

2 Cam panorama: 

Thought I'd share....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: Convergence Zone
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
I have a really large monitor and I love it when the rain hits the lens. 
You can tell it is really cold/humid as the rain simply does not evaporate.
In Arizona that lens would be dry in no time...
The flag is perfectly placed to get a feel for the wind and it picks up like a monsoon just before rainfall.
I found you on my TOPO Map:

It really looks like the Strait of Juan De Fuco can clip you pretty hard.
Then you have two beautiful canyons in Darrington/Arlington and Rockport/Burlington.
But Snohomish/Skykomish looks like a great outlet as well.
Three Davids against one Goliath plus your island and WINAS offers zero resistance!

(What is kind of cool is being able to pronounce these names having lived in the PNW)

What a ton of fun to track the weather up in your neck of the woods!

I believe I saw a little blue in the sky so not all bad...
I really like watching other people's weather so thank you for your time and consideration in sharing again.