Author Topic: Atlas users - how is your UV sensor working?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline HalifaxWeatherStation

• Acurite Atlas
    • Acurite Atlas @ WU
Atlas users - how is your UV sensor working?
« on: July 04, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »
When I first got my Atlas it was winter, so I did not pay a lot of attention to the UV index reading. Most days it would be 1-2, which made sense with what I should expect for my region and the time of year. I noticed the odd abnormality, like it jumping to 4 on one January evening as the sun went down - but otherwise it seemed OK.

However, now that we're into July, mine appears to be consistently low. As I type this, it's noon and the daily UV index is 8, yet mine is reading 2. The sky doesn't have any clouds, and the sensor does not have any obstructions. If looking purely at daily maximum readings, over a 30 day period, it's 3 points below what the official UV index high is.

I'll contact AcuRite, but wanted to see if there was any discussion about it being a broader issue?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Atlas users - how is your UV sensor working?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
Old news... Send it in for replacement.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35252.0
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
When I first got my Atlas it was winter, so I did not pay a lot of attention to the UV index reading. Most days it would be 1-2, which made sense with what I should expect for my region and the time of year. I noticed the odd abnormality, like it jumping to 4 on one January evening as the sun went down - but otherwise it seemed OK.

However, now that we're into July, mine appears to be consistently low. As I type this, it's noon and the daily UV index is 8, yet mine is reading 2. The sky doesn't have any clouds, and the sensor does not have any obstructions. If looking purely at daily maximum readings, over a 30 day period, it's 3 points below what the official UV index high is.

I'll contact AcuRite, but wanted to see if there was any discussion about it being a broader issue?

I have noticed the same exact behavior you have described. Acurite sent me a replacement uv/light intensity/rain bucket component a couple months ago and I have noticed no change. In full sun at solar noon with no shadow on it, it still has never gone over a max reading of 6. The forecasted high was a max uv reading of 9 for today. Other brands of weather stations in my vicinity that report uv (mostly Ambient stations) were around a max reading of 9. I only maxed out with a uv reading of 5 today. The two screenshots below are my uv graph so far today and the second one is the uv graph of an Ambient station nearby to me. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:27:07 PM by Mirwin275 »

• Acurite Atlas
    • Acurite Atlas @ WU
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »

Hopefully they can just ship me the part, since I'm in Canada and sending the unit back would be $$$

• Acurite Atlas
    • Acurite Atlas @ WU
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »
I have noticed the same exact behavior you have described. Acurite sent me a replacement uv/light intensity/rain bucket component a couple months ago and I have noticed no change. In full sun at solar noon with no shadow on it, it still has never gone over a max reading of 6. The forecasted high was a max uv reading of 9 for today. Other brands of weather stations in my vicinity that report uv (mostly Ambient stations) were around a max reading of 9. I only maxed out with a uv reading of 5 today. The two screenshots below are my uv graph so far today and the second one is the uv graph of an Ambient station nearby to me. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That's disappointing your replacement is behaving the same. I'm hoping someone will chime in here and say theirs is working perfectly, because I have not heard of any real definitive solution being released.

A big reason I bought this unit was to track UV index for when the kids are outside. But at this point I have little to no confidence that it's accurate.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »

Hopefully they can just ship me the part, since I'm in Canada and sending the unit back would be $$$

Well I don't know what the actual procedure is. Sounds like you may not need to send anything in from other's comments. They just send you a replacement part. I should have just said contact them for warranty service.

I read though from another thread that they won't open their offices back till next Monday because of the 4th of July holiday celebration. I'm sure next Monday though is going to be a particularly busy day for them because they are closed all this week I think. So come Monday be patient...or maybe wait till Tuesday or Wednesday to make sure you don't fall through the cracks in the service queue.
Tele-Pole

• Acurite Atlas
    • Acurite Atlas @ WU
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
Yeah good call, I'll contact them some time next week after the dust settles. They have been really good to date, so hopefully they can sort this out.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
Others have stated it being low and my station reports very similar to yours. It seems to run 50% - 40% lower than what should be reported. When other stations are reporting 8/9, mine will be 4 /5. During the winter months I have the early morning and late evening spikes and contribute it to being the low angle of the winter sun during those times.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 09:27:20 AM »
FYI - Ambient isn't perfect when it comes to UV either. I notice spikes on my station when there has been rainfall during the night. Then at sunrise if there is still a water drop on the sensor it acts like a lens that distorts the sunlight and causes a UV spike. It only lasts but a moment. It must be a small water drop because it evaporates quickly as I only ever see one spike. It never happens in the evening. It doesn't always happen when it rains at night, so it isn't too terrible.

My station is perfectly level. I've seen this phenomenon with other Ambient stations. So it's a design problem. I've conveyed this to the manufacturer Fine Offset. I don't have a solution, but I hope their engineers can think of something for a future model.

Tele-Pole

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
During the winter months my spikes where mostly in the early morning, although I did get them in the evening too.  I was speculating that morning frost crystals on the lens were causing them. The spikes would last a while, until the morning sun was able to melt the frost. So, I could see rain and frost crystals being the cause of problems. Not sure though how they could fix that.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 10:14:10 AM »
How about adding a heater.
Tele-Pole

Offline wxmanfla

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 12:02:40 PM »
I am on my second Atlas as the first one had the excessive lightning issue and UV issue.  My new Atlas still has the UV issue but the lightning issue has been fixed.  I live in South Florida and I have never had a UV above a 6 on either station.  I sent an email saying I was still having UV issues but that was just 2 days ago.  Waiting to hear back next week.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
In suburban Chicago, I never have a reading higher than a 6.   On July 3rd, I looked at my dashboard on WU and saw that for a few minutes I was getting a 7.   I almost fainted.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
During the early release lightning fiasco, I went through 3 Atlas stations...only the very first one's UV worked.

I ended up keeping the working UV and the replacement lightning sections to finally get a working Atlas (swapped sections before sending them in). Now, in July, I have been getting readings similar to my other station and local stations.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 09:03:50 PM »
So I contacted Acurite again about my UV issue and to remind you guys this has the new uv/light intensity/rain bucket component from not very long ago they sent me. Now Acurite ordered me a whole new Atlas unit and told me that once I receive the shipping label in my email to send my current Atlas unit back. This is a pain for me since I have my Atlas configured using the wind extension kit and it is a pain to take down. I had to do this when I sent my Atlas in for the lightning issue. I understand it is helpful for Acurite to be able to test malfunctioning products to improve their products. When they send you a label, you do not pay for shipping. I assume that may only apply within the US for that though. I have my Atlas ready to go to ship back to them tomorrow and the new Atlas unit is expected to arrive Monday.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »
I’m the odd one out. I set up my Atlas at my work recently and my UV seems to read fine. Over the past week daily maximums around 7-8 which seems about right.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »
Well, just received my Atlas replacement and I can officially say the UV is reporting accurately now. This is a whole new Atlas sensor unit now. I already reached a max UV of 8 today, which was what was forecasted. Who knows why my original Atlas was under reporting for UV? Acurite said they tested it before shipping out the replacement to me. My WU ID is KPAPERKA27.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:06:15 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »
Can you please go though the steps to replace the UV sensor ? I should be getting a new one some time next week according to AcuRite . Mine to was reading  really low and they said a replacement should be on the way after they test the new one .

Well, just received my Atlas replacement and I can officially say the UV is reporting accurately now. This is a whole new Atlas sensor unit now. I already reached a max UV of 8 today, which was what was forecasted. Who knows why my original Atlas was under reporting for UV? Acurite said they tested it before shipping out the replacement to me. My WU ID is KPAPERKA27.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:32:42 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »
Can you please go though the steps to replace the UV sensor ? I should be getting a new one some time next week according to AcuRite . Mine to was reading  really low and they said a replacement should be on the way after they test the new one .

For the UV/Light Intensity/Black Rain Trough Component. You squeeze the tab to release the Black Rain Trough and then once opened, look for a strip of black and red wires with a white plug. Unplug this plug and then you can release the whole component. When you install the new component, make sure you do not pinch the wires when closing it after plugging the plug back into the unit.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
Thank you very much , sounds simple!!

For the UV/Light Intensity/Black Rain Trough Component. You squeeze the tab to release the Black Rain Trough and then once opened, look for a strip of black and red wires with a white plug. Unplug this plug and then you can release the whole component. When you install the new component, make sure you do not pinch the wires when closing it after plugging the plug back into the unit.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
Mabcmb, this pic should help. The plug I am referring to is at the bottom right of the this pic. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 04:07:46 PM »
Thank you that does help !! Now one more question did you have to send back the old part ? They told me I may or may not have to send it back . I will hold onto it for awhile anyways because when they had the smarthub melt down about two months after getting my replacement the contacted me and ask where my old smarthub was at . I said they never asked for it back plus a return shipping label wasn't sent with the replacement . After some back and forth they told me to just throw it away .

Mabcmb, this pic should help. The plug I am referring to is at the bottom right of the this pic. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »
Thank you that does help !! Now one more question did you have to send back the old part ? They told me I may or may not have to send it back . I will hold onto it for awhile anyways because when they had the smarthub melt down about two months after getting my replacement the contacted me and ask where my old smarthub was at . I said they never asked for it back plus a return shipping label wasn't sent with the replacement . After some back and forth they told me to just throw it away .

I think at times Acurite looks at issues as a case by case basis. So I would suggest you do whatever they ask you to, because they may ask you to do things in a different way than they did for me. I have concluded there was an issue with my whole Atlas unit because I had them send me the component they are with you and I had no change with UV. Now I have a completely new Atlas unit, which they tested before shipping to me and it is spot on now for the first time. I got my Atlas when it was first released. For them to send me a replacement Atlas unit, they did require me to send my current one in for testing, but I did not need to wait for them to ship the new one to me. They were very prompt with me. They ordered the replacement Wednesday and I got it today. They are in Wisconsin and I am in Pennsylvania, so not that far.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 04:22:48 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 04:29:10 PM »
Thanks again for your replies ,  they have been very helpful . Have a great day !!

I think at times Acurite looks at issues as a case by case basis. So I would suggest you do whatever they ask you to, because they may ask you to do things in a different way than they did for me. I have concluded there was an issue with my whole Atlas unit because I had them send me the component they are with you and I had no change with UV. Now I have a completely new Atlas unit, which they tested before shipping to me and it is spot on now for the first time. I got my Atlas when it was first released. For them to send me a replacement Atlas unit, they did require me to send my current one in for testing, but I did not need to wait for them to ship the new one to me. They were very prompt with me. They ordered the replacement Wednesday and I got it today. They are in Wisconsin and I am in Pennsylvania, so not that far.