Author Topic: Olympus Sp500 UZ enclosure  (Read 1386 times)

Offline TheMOX

Olympus Sp500 UZ enclosure
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
I just purchased a Olympus SP500UZ from ebay.  I have searched the forums and found a few enclosure ideas.  Those posts go back a couple of years.  I would like to know what has worked well , not worked well and suggestions one might now have for an exterior enclosure from experience with these cameras..  I have a plastic 8x8x4 NEMA box available.  I plan to mount is low on an amateur radio tower close to my shack.    I already use Sebectec software  for my Dlink 2310L IP camera.

Any photos would be appreciated

Yet another Greg

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Re: Olympus Sp500 UZ enclosure
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »
Yet Another Greg responding.....  :roll:

I have been meaning to put up a post about the most recent enclosure I built.  To date I think it is the best and is performing fantastic.  If you are interested in building one using wood, I'll bump up my schedule and get it posted soon. 

Greg.... :)
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline TheMOX

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
I am a woodworker and would be interested in seeing your construction.
Thanks for your reply.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
I'll try to get it up tonight.... (Uhmmm... that didn't sound good)....  There are a lot of moving parts to it, including a wireless bridge and small form factor PC inside it.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:52 PM »
I just posted my project in this forum.  The thing that amazed my the most was the function of the 2nd roof.  It made it a LOT cooler, protected the glass and the cam from sun glare and also protects the glass from rain.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline TheMOX

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »
Greg J

Thanks for the post of your enclosure.  That is quite an extensive housing.  I like the idea of a secondary roof to act as a heat shield and a glare/rain shield.

My current weather cam is under the eave of my house and does a good job of reducing glare and keeps quite a bit of rain off the lens.

Thanks again

yet another Greg

Offline gt651

• mnlakecams.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »
Here's one I threw together a couple of years ago.  Not nice and neat but it worked fine.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:41:08 PM by gt651 »

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
Looks good!, great idea
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline TheMOX

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I put together my enclosure for my Olympus SP500UZ using ideas and suggestions from the forum and elsewhere.  It is in a plastic 8x8x4 junction box.  I used a 72mm Monoprice skylight filter for the view port.  I added a lens hood to keep some of the rain off and to reduce lens flare when the sun is to the side.  The USB extender is a Monoprice Cat 5 unit.  The power supply was from Fry's with a Radio Shack adapter.  The camera is mounted under a wide over hang on the west side of my house replacing a D-Link DCS-2310 that lived there for a year. The camera itself is mounted on a tripod ball head I had extra from on older tripod.

Greg
Yet another greg on the forum

Offline TheMOX

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
A few more images of the enclosure on my house and my D-link camera in it's new location,.  I don't have a website but the cameras are uploaded to Wunderground using Sebetec software.    Search for Greenfield's Westside   (Indiana - kingreen16)

anything