Author Topic: Non-Metalic Mast....inc guy ropes....  (Read 4808 times)

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
Non-Metalic Mast....inc guy ropes....
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Well here's my example of my weather station, situated on my back upper deck, with anemometer about 4 feet above the roof line.  Holding this up I have 7 steel straining wires that keep the pvc waste pipe rigid enough to stand up to the strongest winds, inc. hurricane Sandy !  Attached to this mast you can also see weather fax reception pvc housed antenna, and a whip style weather radio antenna.......the only metal element on the mast besides the guy ropes.  Guy ropes each have attached insulators to guard against lightning strike / static.

Last year I lost my whole setup through a lightning strike above the house, also took out TV and phones.  Why the hell did it pick my house ?  ](*,)  Now the whole setup is protected, using neon bulbs on each signal line connected directly to earth.  Don't think like I did - pvc mast = no danger of lightning - this = WRONG !!  I learnt my lesson at some cost.  :oops:

The second picture shows a control box (homebrew) which houses a digital LED thermostat (lcd displays freeze up in the winter and don't function - LED ones produce a tiny amount of heat and are good down to -40C) Connected to this is the thermostats sensor via a screened Ethernet cable 12m long going to the rain gauge to sense the temperature inside, then triggering the thermostat / heating cable @ around 5C, and switching off @ around 10C.

Also included is another control box (small upper box in picture - again homebrew) connected to the thermostat, this box contains a wireless transmitter, this sends a signal to a wireless receiver in the basement informing me as to whether the rain gauge heater is energized or not.  This wireless receiver also houses a lcd wireless thermometer which indicates the rain gauge temperature, handy info for our cold Canadian winters.  Now snow turns to water and measurements can be made of snowfall amounts.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:03:27 AM by DW7240 »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Non-Metalic Mast....inc guy ropes....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
Very fancy!   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »
Thank you for sharing the photos!  I learn so much from others great examples.  Thank you again.

Offline Geoff MW6GCN

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
Nice set up I have no need in the uk for heating /  cooling as our weather systems are not as extreme
however saying that we have been promised a bad winter, at the moment it is very mild daytime temps
have still been close to double figures just does not seem right.

Geoff    MW6 GCN   Can also be found on echolink

Offline Geoff MW6GCN

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
Hi DW7240,  I like what you have done with your mast, I have a steel 30ft mast however after seeing what you have done
I am thinking of bringing my mast down and sliding pvc pipe over the steel and then re-installing however I would like to
think this would protect my instruments from lightening but that is what I am not sure of really as the steel would still be
under the pvc, I would like to know what you think  or anybody else that has any idea if or not my instruments would be
protected

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »
Thank you for the kind replys regarding my setup.

My first thoughts on the mast were to use a steel / aluminum mast for strength, but seeing how bad the storms can be here in Canada due to the great lakes effect I decided that safety was more important then the strength issue.  After all plastics nowadays are as strong as metals, it's how you use them effects their usefulness.

So, PVC pipe was born, first attempts were without the guy ropes, big mistake, too much flex / whip and eventually the whole setup came crashing down on the roof.  If it fell the opposite direction the neighbors car would of got the impact, good job I'm insured, more about insurance later.  I used two sets of steel ropes to stop 90% of the whip effect, you cannot take out all the whip, you must leave some movement, otherwise you'll end up with the same effect as with no ropes.  Think of the mast as a tree, the roots of the tree are the guy ropes, if their strong enough and enough of them then no problems, unless its a hurricane, then you know the answer already !

As to the lightning aspect, well plastic is a good isolator, but.......plastic, especially moving parts can generate a lot of static electricity, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons.  You cannot rely on plastic pipe being your sole mate as far as being safe, you still have to consider some form of getting the static away from the instruments, hence the basic neon lamp discharge setup, all connected to the house earth.  I"ve had no problems since with storms or static, so something must be right.

As far as steel pipe coated in plastic tube, well, you may have to try it, but I'm thinking, all that steel pipe is still asking for trouble regardless of the plastic jacket offered by the pvc pipe.  I'm sure others will have their own views on all this, sometimes its a matter of trial and error, in my case I was hard hit, but the recovery was sweet, meaning no more issues, but that can't always be the case with every setup.  All setups are unique, what works with one won't always work with another.

Last word about insurance, how many of you have a separate policy for their weather equipment, my advice is unless you have spent more then $2000 on your setup don't bother with a separate policy, including the mast falling down.  My insurance told me just claim on the main house policy, you'll be covered, but again worth checking......a fallen mast from the roof can cause more damage then what its worth ! CHECK FIRST.  I was lucky.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:11:51 PM by DW7240 »

Offline glennpm2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
Hi,

I just erected my Davis Vantage Vue a couple of weeks ago using 1 1/4" PVC on my roof. I have antenna standoffs on the roof gable end so I can slide the mast down when needed to replace the battery or whatever.The mast puts the unit about 6' above the ridge line.

I was thinking about guy wires but want some clever way to have it so I don't have to monkey around on the roof to tighten each in sequence.

Can you give some more detail about your insulators and how you did the tightening please?

Thanks,
Glenn

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:15 PM »

Hi Glen,

Please accept my apologies for the late reply !!

Ok, those insulators of mine are simply made from round 3/4 inch electrical pvc conduit, which is then filled with epoxy resin for strength.  These work as they should, all guy ropes are tightened for correct length one at a time, until the mast is dead vertical.  Mine leans slightly towards the house on purpose, rather that then leaning in the opposite direction (the neighbours driveway)

All guy rope tightening is done by hand, not using anything fancy, there is just a tiny amount of slack to allow for one rope to by undone this allows the mast to loosen, then it's lifted from its mount and lowered down, this can be tricky, I have to use one hand on the mast, with 20 foot of mast in my hand I have to be careful, and being purched on a stepladder, even more careful, but the other three guy ropes stop the mast from falling too far over in any direction, so on that count it works very well.  Guy ropes are attached using quick release "D" ring links and the normal radio mast clamps, not overtighted so as to crush the pipe, tight enough not to move, and then double nuts on each so nothing can come loose.  I'm not in the habit of taken the mast down too often for maintenance.

Hope this helps you out, and thanks for getting in touch.

Nick. DW7240.