Author Topic: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB August 31, 2018.  (Read 19909 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB August 31, 2018.
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »
They could once you get the new Access box - encrypted comms.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
To me, the one bullet point that says it all is this one: "Developing new, higher margin solutions with recurring revenue for both the B2B & B2C markets globally."

"Higher margin with recurring revenue" is not generated by selling a $150 5n1 that stands alone and lasts for several years. Now a $300 Atlas 7/8 or a $600 Elite might meet the "higher margins" goal, but where does the "recurring revenue" play in? Draw your own conclusions.

That could mean subscriptions for myAcurite, but they've been toying with that for years.  Someone somehow has to cover the data center costs.

However, we still don't know how this impacts the Acurite/Chaney division or the products. 

This might very well be the reason the Atlas release has been delayed.

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
Davis is an excellent choice

Davis probably has the best sensors but the rest of their lineup is a Kludge.

Their consoles look like they're from the 1970's.  (lack of color displays, lack of WiFi). I haven't seen anything new and innovative from Davis this entire decade.

If you want to connect one of their consoles to a router you have to buy a separate IP dongle for >$200 and string ethernet cable from the console to the router.  Or buy another overpriced console to place near the router. 

At least Acurite has had good ideas. It's their poor product quality and execution that's their downfall.

I have a Davis Pro 2 Wireless and I do agree, the console could probably use an update.  It’s also been rock solid so far.

However, everything for me is wireless.  I do not have to run a Ethernet cable to my router.  While a little convoluted, I use a dongle purchased from a gentleman on these boards and a Raspberry Pi with WeeWx.  Both under $100. 

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
I suppose "recurring revenue" could also be selling a "throw away" product with a short lifespan that needs to replaced often. But doing that would eventually cause customers to drift to competitors, so it would be a very short sighted approach.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »

Sounds like they want to charge a hosting fee for data uploads to WU, etc.?? But how can they since their competitors don't?

Does Acurite represent a large % of Primex?

Not to wunderground.  They really don't have any cost involvement with that.

I don't know how much of Primex is Acurite, but many that we think of as being "Acurite employees" use Primex email addresses, and their job duties aren't necessarily exclusive to Acurite.

Offline iszekeres

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »

That could mean subscriptions for myAcurite, but they've been toying with that for years.  Someone somehow has to cover the data center costs.

However, we still don't know how this impacts the Acurite/Chaney division or the products. 

This might very well be the reason the Atlas release has been delayed.

Maybe they can harness the power of your backpedaling and sell it off to fund some of the DC costs George.....

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
If Acurite would get off of Jeff Bezoos or however it's spelled data servers, they could cut costs... Amazon is making killings off of them.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Its dead Jim!

My SmartHub stopped reporting to MyAcurite at Feb 28th, 2019 at 6:00 AM CT.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
Mine is still working with meteobridge, at least for the time being... If this is the case, I will need to install another 5in1 to get my weather going again to all sites...

Offline Pber

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
It's march 1st and mine is still working and posting to WU.  Hopefully it will give me some time to finish my replacement project.  I'm in the process of gutting one of my smarthubs and keeping the MCRF211 receiver board and interfacing that with an Arduino and just using that to post to WU.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor

Offline jtaves85mcss

« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2019, 10:17:17 AM »
It is March 3 and my 5in1 station with the SmartHub is still reporting to WU.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2019, 12:03:32 PM »
Same here.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Several people still have SmartHubs still reporting to WU, but have any of you been brave enough to power off and back on the device yet???
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2019, 03:53:38 PM »
I'm using kevins my acurite smarthub reader and apparently as of today it isn't doing anything. Keeps waiting for data.
All I did was restart the program because the rain data sending to WU was incorrect. My guess is since the drop off that is why and now I'm screwed.
This is a bunch of crap to require me to get a over priced pc of equipment to broadcast my data when it was working fine to start with - if this is the case.
There is nothing wrong with the equipment and it shouldn't just stop working when I'm not even sending acurite my data anyway. I just used the bridge to communicate to WU and other sources.

Offline joegr

« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »
...There is nothing wrong with the equipment and it shouldn't just stop working when I'm not even sending acurite my data anyway. I just used the bridge to communicate to WU and other sources.

At the very least, it needs to know what time it is, and Acurite has stopped responding to it with that information.
Interestingly, the time is in the response that WU gives, but the hub would have to know the correct time zone and daylight savings or not.

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2019, 10:50:09 PM »

At the very least, it needs to know what time it is, and Acurite has stopped responding to it with that information.
Interestingly, the time is in the response that WU gives, but the hub would have to know the correct time zone and daylight savings or not.

That seems to be the issue. I sent a PM to kevin about his software - I'm wondering if there is a way to edit the software to ignore the date/time send from the smarthub and use the PC's date/time instead to send the other data out.
I just find it completely ignorant that I still can't use this pc of hardware when there isn't anything wrong with it.

Offline jtaves85mcss

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2019, 08:20:12 PM »
March 4 at 8pm EDT for me and still transmitting to WU.  The daily and weekly graphs look good with the exception of precipitation rate for the day which has been reporting a constant .09in since the evening of March 1.

No I have not powered down the hub and don't plan too, let it ride!

Offline SevenTrees

« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
Call me stupid, but I actually thought Acurite would still transmit data via the smarthub, just not provide any tech support should it quit working. My 5-in-1 is getting old and I had planned to replace it but now I'm flat broke & sure as heck not going to spend $100+ for the access when that is a good chunk of the cost of a new station. I rely on being able to monitor my sensors online, but Acurite  has handled this so poorly I will probably just do without a weather station until I can afford a new one.

I'd love to try some of the workarounds people are creating, but unless they are free, I'm still out of luck.
Shame on Acurite & shame on me for not abandoning them sooner when I could afford a new station.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
Mine is still working.  :)

Offline SevenTrees

« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2019, 01:23:04 PM »
Mine is still working.  :)

Mine still works for wunderground, but I imagine that will stop at any time. I need to be able to see my sensors in my brooder coop & dog kennel so that will be enough to get me saving up for a new system fast.

Offline theofficepest

• WU Station
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2019, 07:02:48 AM »
as long as it still works with WU I don't really care

I had a look at using the pi to do it, but its a bit technical for the average user perhaps

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
There is a working beta of Kevins Keys Software. I am testing it now. It seems to be working great. Kevin should release it later today or tomorrow. Here is the thread that you can monitor. The software is windows based and very easy to set up. There is no charge for it, but I believe Kevin does accept donations.

Here is the Thread:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36299.0

Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline theofficepest

• WU Station
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2019, 07:06:30 AM »
if the hub is powered down does stop working to WU?

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
if the hub is powered down does stop working to WU?

If you mean that if the Hub is rebooted or turned off and then back on does it continue to come up again and transmit data, the answer is yes.
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html