Author Topic: 500 server error  (Read 10570 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
500 server error
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Hi Ken,

I've been getting a 500 server error quite a bit today, both early this morning and happening some currently. Just thought I would let ya know.

John
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:50:15 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: 500 server error
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
Me too.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »
The error page I get says:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
Same here, more Chinese bots getting through?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
Same here, more Chinese bots getting through?

Maybe it's Big Brother watching us watch the weather.   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »
me too but it hasn't happened to me in a while.. earlier it was like every 5 seconds for me.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
Here too... At least 10 times today alone. :?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
Got that a few times earlier this evening but only in trying to open this particular thread, but now fine.

Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
Yep, we're still getting flooded with simultaneous requests (likely from bad bots) -- I'll have to analyze the logs to see if there are some more IP addresses to block...

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »
Have been getting them consistently this evening. Hard to read anything due to the 500 Internal Server Error message popping-up with almost every read.

The message I am getting is as follows:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:22:58 AM »
Yep, we were beaten up by yet-another-set-of-rogue spiders.

One set in China, one in the Netherlands and one in the US.  All have been blocked with .htaccess deny on their CIDRs

See.. I can play whack-a-mole with the best of 'em :)
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 04:32:39 AM »
Ken - Keep up the good work!

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
Got the error message again this morning, so there may be more moles out there yet. Do these moles also attack our websites, but we are unaware of it?

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
4 AM today....so many errors I had to close my browser just to get off the forum.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
It's not so much an 'attack' as it is a rapid series of accesses to various links on the site.  Yes, they probably check your site too, but if you have pages that don't create more links for historical pages, you have likely no issues.

Each wxforum.net page has links to other pages on the forum and if too many requests are made at the same time, the number of PHP threads available is exhausted and you receive the 500 error as Apache is unable to launch another thread to satisfy the request.
The Google, Bing, Yahoo bots are well-behaved (no more than 4 bots crawling at the same time and frequency limited) -- the rogue bots can spew a stream of requests which back up the PHP instances on the webserver, and they tend to ignore the conventions of using robots.txt and in-page <meta name="Robots" content="index,nofollow"/> on pages.  They get blocked (by CIDR) in .htaccess.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
It's not so much an 'attack' as it is a rapid series of accesses to various links on the site.  Yes, they probably check your site too, but if you have pages that don't create more links for historical pages, you have likely no issues.

Each wxforum.net page has links to other pages on the forum and if too many requests are made at the same time, the number of PHP threads available is exhausted and you receive the 500 error as Apache is unable to launch another thread to satisfy the request.
The Google, Bing, Yahoo bots are well-behaved (no more than 4 bots crawling at the same time and frequency limited) -- the rogue bots can spew a stream of requests which back up the PHP instances on the webserver, and they tend to ignore the conventions of using robots.txt and in-page <meta name="Robots" content="index,nofollow"/> on pages.  They get blocked (by CIDR) in .htaccess.

Which can be problematic because sometimes (just sometimes) a valid IP exists within a block.  But typically these days, they don't, as these !$%*(^*^ buy up blocks of IP addresses.  Finding the right scope is challenging sometimes...yes, I work in IT.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
I used to work in IT too :)

I look up who controls the IP address range of the offending access, and if it turns out to be a country (like China, Ukraine, Russia), I just block the entire CIDR and be done with it.  If the range is controlled by a hosting company, then they get blocked too.
If it is in an ISP-provided range, then a specific IP address block is used instead.  

I've added a

Crawl-delay: 3

to the robots.txt in the hope that the Google, Bing and Yahoo bots will take a more leisurely stroll through the links.  Bing is more agressive in its crawling activity and they do honor that spec so that should reduce the 500 errors and still allow the big-3 to index the site.

BTW.. there's a great IP-range to CIDR converter at http://ip2cidr.com/bulk-ip-to-cidr-converter.php and I tend to use the APNIC for my IP lookups as they report ranges for addresses worldwide.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:57:07 AM by saratogaWX »

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »
I used to work in IT too :)

I look up who controls the IP address range of the offending access, and if it turns out to be a country (like China, Ukraine, Russia), I just block the entire CIDR and be done with it.  If the range is controlled by a hosting company, then they get blocked too.
If it is in an ISP-provided range, then a specific IP address block is used instead.  

I've added a

to the robots.txt in the hope that the Google, Bing and Yahoo bots will take a more leisurely stroll through the links.  Bing is more agressive in its crawling activity and they do honor that spec so that should reduce the 500 errors and still allow the big-3 to index the site.

BTW.. there's a great IP-range to CIDR converter at http://ip2cidr.com/bulk-ip-to-cidr-converter.php and I tend to use the APNIC for my IP lookups as they report ranges for addresses worldwide.

Hate to see the .htaccess file for this site.   :shock:
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 02:28:01 PM »
Actually, thanks to CIDRs, it's only about 40 lines long :)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
6:19 pm EDT

Internal Server Error

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 03:21:35 AM »
4 AM today....so many errors I had to close my browser just to get off the forum.

06:45 GMT 24 June, I was blocked with this "Chrome" error message stating either the forum was down, had moved, or experiencing an "unknown error.  Error 130". I just love Google Chrome. :roll: #-o

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:23:16 AM by DanS »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
It looks like there was a networking issue with 1and1 overnight.  The webserver reports it is up 128 days, but analysis of the Apache logs shows it was having no activity between 01:54:46 and 03:09:10 Eastern time on 24-June-2013.  I had called 1and1 tech support about the issue and it was escalated to the system admins who resolved it (but, don't know what they did or what the root cause was).

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for keeping watch overnight, Dan :)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
Interesting... I think that's almost exactly the start and end times of a county wide power failure here in SLO last night/this morning. ~145,000 without power.

It looks like there was a networking issue with 1and1 overnight.  The webserver reports it is up 128 days, but analysis of the Apache logs shows it was having no activity between 01:54:46 and 03:09:10 Eastern time on 24-June-2013.  I had called 1and1 tech support about the issue and it was escalated to the system admins who resolved it (but, don't know what they did or what the root cause was).

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for keeping watch overnight, Dan :)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
Oooh... that is a strange coincidence in timing...  During the outage, wxforum.net wouldn't respond to HTTP, FTP or SSH, and ping failed too.  Must have been a networking issue (bad route? bad BGP entry?) .. we probably won't know as 1and1 does not report root causes for outages generally.
Their Twitter feed has https://twitter.com/1and1/status/273175224231555073 which says
Due to a network outage in a 1&1 data center some services may still be temporarily unavailable.

Edit: the local news said PG&E claimed a problem with the Morro Bay power substation for the SLO county outage last night (145K+ customers)
The California Utilities Emergency Association has advised that the PG&E power outage was due to a "flash" at a sub-station at Morro Bay, resulting in a loss of transmission to several sub-stations.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:59:27 PM by saratogaWX »

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

Having nothing but problems with bingbot here. They were not following any directives I put up (including a crawl delay of 30 as suggested by the bing support folks). It also ignored IP blocks (both specific and ranges), robots.txt, and even a RewriteCond statement (properly formatted). Finally seems to be calming down a bit, however.

Interesting that my Wx site was the only one 'attacked'. I also have 5 WP sites on the same account and they were left alone.
John
W7JKG

anything