Author Topic: Need help selecting station & software  (Read 8671 times)

Offline mattster98

Need help selecting station & software
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
I had a Lacrosse wireless system before, but a near-by lightning strike took it out.  I'd like to get something, probably wired, to replace it now that I have a decent budget to work with.

Requirements:
1. Computer interface that works with Linux (tired of dealing with Winbloze issues) that will upload to wunderground.. "rapid fire" preferred
2. Preferably wired - changing batteries in the outside unit was a hassle before, and getting the two ends to connect was a problem at times
3. Inside and outside temperature and humidity
4. Barometer, wind speed, direction, rain gauge
5. Low maintenance (most are, I think - I never had an issue with my old one)
6. I don't need a pretty display, computer interface only would be fine.

I'd like to spend under $1000 but could go over a bit for the right reasons.  I've tried to find the right system on my own, but haven't been able to tell for sure which ones would work with the right software on Linux to work with wunderground.

Thanks!!

--Matt

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
Re: Need help selecting station & software
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
Hi, Matt welcome to the forum!

IMO i would be looking at a davis weather station-- probably this one>>> http://www.ambientweather.com/61dacavaprop.html
*note have them send you the low price*
you would also need a data logger with this station

here is a comparison of weather stations if you want to have a look

http://www.ambientweather.com/61dacavaprop.html

someone else can hopfully chime in on software..

goodluck!

Josh

Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:14 PM »
What Josh said on the HW fer shure...  and a simple search here would have  yielded this valuable tome:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3013.0
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »
2. Preferably wired - changing batteries in the outside unit was a hassle before, and getting the two ends to connect was a problem at times

I do not think those problems exist in the Davis wireless units.  There are benefits with going wireless; maybe others will chime in with their experiences.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »
The hardware side is easy, usually people come in with your set of requirements and a budget of 200-300 including software (which means tons of options, but tons of opinions as well)...  So for a grand, most would recommend the Davis VP2

however wired, vs wireless.   I think most would say wireless.  Battery chancing not really an issue since its solar rechargeable.  And I have not heard of any Davis users complaining about "seeing" / connecting to their sensonrs.   And since you have already been struck by lightning... why risk your expensive pc as well as your expensive davis ISS.  Of course lightning never....

I do think you should get the wireless anemometer kit add-on though, that is the one thing I cant understand why they dont have in the high end package.  for both lightning and siting considerations....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:22:22 PM »
The new wireless transmission is far better than the previous by all accounts.  Eventually though wireless units do need battery changes.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »
I do think you should get the wireless anemometer kit add-on though,

Why?

I am in the process of moving my anemometer and was going to buy the wireless kit, however I could save money by just extending the wire by 60 feet.  We have almost no lightning in this area.  Comments and recommendations are welcome.

(I priced the kit at both Ambient and Provantage.  Ambient was a lot more before shipping, but within a few pennies when shipping was included.  I would buy from Ambient because of their return policy)

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:49:30 PM »
I wish I had a budget of $1000!  I would consider getting one of those mini computers to use as a dedicated weather computer.  Don't some of them come with that operating system?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:51:33 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:51:41 PM »

I wish I had a budget of $1000!

There is probably something in the Stimulus Package to help; just read the fine print.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »

Why?

I am in the process of moving my anemometer and was going to buy the wireless kit, however I could save money by just extending the wire by 60 feet.  We have almost no lightning in this area.  Comments and recommendations are welcome.

(I priced the kit at both Ambient and Provantage.  Ambient was a lot more before shipping, but within a few pennies when shipping was included.  I would buy from Ambient because of their return policy)

Tom since you don't get much lightning a wireless anny wouldn't be necessary. However the original poster said he lost his to a lightning strike.
I lost mine the same way. Hit the anny traveled down the wire through the junction box and took out the console. I don't mind replacing individual sensors but the whole unit is another story.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
I lost mine the same way. Hit the anny traveled down the wire through the junction box and took out the console. I don't mind replacing individual sensors but the whole unit is another story.

You should be safe now, since it never strikes twice in the same place.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
I like having no wires running up to the top of my house. Also as I said for lightning (separating the church from the very expensive state) and siting, the best place for an ISS is in the back corner of my lot, so since all the space between my house and pool is interlock, without a wireless anemomter I would have to dig up stone or do aerial stringing of cable to the fence and then along the garden.  It is more money, and if its not needed, then that is cool.  My cheap OS has one, so I figure the higher end vp2 packages could/should have it as an option.....

Andrew

Why?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
There is probably something in the Stimulus Package to help; just read the fine print.

Ummm I need to read that document :)
I could really use some upgrades and overall redundancy!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »
look around on ambient at the wireless ones AFTER you look at the comparison thing on stations, it will also help you decide if you want to go wireless, or stay wired...

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mattster98

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
I appreciate all the feedback.  I definitely agree that a solar-powered sensor array makes a lot of sense.  Assuming the wireless link is more reliable than the last one I had, it probably removes the need to have a wired connection.

However, I didn't see any comments on the OS I want the unit to interface with: Linux.   I know most of the software you buy for these units requires Win*, but there are several open-source software options for Linux.  I'm looking for people that know a given unit works with a given Linux software solution (I've had more than one experience where it SHOULD have worked but didn't and ended up costing me..)

**EDIT** Sorry - I see the reference to the "TOME" I need to also read.. let me dig through that and see if I have any more OS-related questions.  Thanks again..

Thanks!!

--Matt
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:02:38 AM by mattster98 »

Offline vcbmoore

• Saddlebrooke Ranch South Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 07:57:16 AM »
Matt,

Welcome!  Go wireless!  Batteries are a non issue.  According to the Davis ISS manual the battery will last "8 months without any sunlight - greater than 2 years depending on solar charging".  My Davis is 5 years old and I just replaced the battery for the 2nd time as a precautionary measure.  I tested the old battery and it still had 95% of its capacity remaining.  Wireless gives you much more flexibility regarding placement.  As Bushman pointed out
The new wireless transmission is far better than the previous by all accounts.
  About a month ago I just installed at a Davis at a local school.  The ISS is located in a completely enclosed chainlink cage (almost like a Swiss Chess Faraday enclosure  ;) because of potential theft  :-(.  The console is 100 yards away in a steel reinforced concrete building.  There have been no reception problems.  Plus the advantage of lightning stike not taking out the entire system.
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/FARS, Solar & UV, VWS 14.01p25, Boltek Lightning, Nexstorm, StormVue NGX, StrikeStar, Panasonic BL-C230 Webcam

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »
http://www.wviewweather.com/ is about the best.  You can always run Winblows SW under WINE (incl. at least some versions of Weatherlink). Happy reading!  :)

Offline mattster98

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
Thanks all for the info - I went with the Davis Instruments 6153.. then got thinking about a weather webcam, so got one of those too! :)

Doing my part to stimulate the economy!

I'll post back when I get it all set up.. should all be here next week.

--Matt

Offline mattster98

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »
I know this is the wrong forum, but I've got the VP2 set up (not mounted on the tower yet) and I'm working on getting a NSLU2 operating as the wview host to upload to wunderground.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGAATLAN25

Problem is - it seems to upload like once per hour?  **EDIT** ok, it's 30 minutes, but I'd like something more frequent **EDIT**

But can poll the station every 10 seconds?

Am I missing something?  There doesn't seem to be any explicit place to specify how often it uploads, and the only thing related I can find when searching is the developer of wview (I think) saying wview will never support rapid-fire..

Any tips?

Thanks!

--Matt
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:33:06 PM by mattster98 »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:47 PM »
you could look at using WD's console version for the NSLU2 that supports WU rapid fire, as well as WDL
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline mattster98

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  After deciphering your acronyms I found the weather-display site.. Downloaded the version for the NSLU2, but it simply won't run.. gives very un-helpful errors.

Do you know of a how-to or any instructions for setting up what you describe?  I couldn't find anything on the site.

--Matt

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »
Matt, if you already have an NSLU2, have you ever considered using the Meteohub software to convert it to a weather server? See: http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/index.php  In addition to a Meteohub license, you would need a good quality, 2GB or 4 GB USB thumb drive for the Meteohub.  This is not an item to cheap out when setting up this server as the cheaper ones are prone to failures.  Fortunately good thumb drives are very inexpensive nowdays.  I'm using a 4 GB OCZ Rally2.

The Meteohub can upload to WU in rapid fire or normal modem or both.  It also can upload WDL data files to your website if you wish.  The trial version of Meteohub is permitted to do WU rapid fire, but there is an every 3 hour limit on normal uploads.

If you have any other question, just ask.

Dave
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
+1 on the OCZ products.  I have a half dozen and they rock.

Offline mattster98

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
I'll try meteohub - I already have the NSLU2, and already have SlugOS running on a 2GB usb stick..   While I hate that I already had to spend a chunk on software just to get the USB logger for the VP2, if meteohub works out, it should be worth the extra $$..

Thanks!

--Matt

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
While I hate that I already had to spend a chunk on software just to get the USB logger for the VP2 ...

If you are talking about the Weatherlink software, for all intents and purposes, you should consider that you got that for free. The cost of the hardware was the real cost to get a computer connection to the VP2.

Be sure that you use the SlugOS version that the Meteohub software is using.

BTW, I still use the WL software for recording and analyzing the weather data on my network.  The Meteohub is more of a 24/7 online presence (web site, WU, etc.)  updater for me.  If the Acer netbook was free (and not $300) like the spare NSLU2 I had lying around (I got it as a points redemption), then I probably would be running an Acer and some other more popular software as seems to be the new trend around here. The whole point of the Meteohub for me was low power consumption and the relatively low initial cost to set up.

Dave
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

anything