Author Topic: New station, maybe................  (Read 5887 times)

Offline ice_man1122

New station, maybe................
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »
Helllo everyone
 I am new to the board, and somewhat new to weather ststions. In the past I owned a lacross 23?? but sold it on our last move. I am now interested in getting back into it, as it was a hobbie wich I found to be quit enjoyable. Living in Minisota, it is also quit usefull in the winter. Anyway the other day I was asked from a friend if I wanted to buy his, as he is moving out of statw and doesn't know if he'll ever use it again. What he has is a Davis vp2 the wireless version wich he want to sell for 250.00.  My only real concern is that due to where I live I would have to mount the anometer on the roof. Something wich my landlord my not be too keen on. so I am thinking of just using the temp, hydro, and rain gauge. What I don't know if if the vp2 will work with out the anometer. Have any of you used the vp2 without it?? I'd love to hear your thoughts.... thank you , Duane.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: New station, maybe................
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
If you can get a VP2 in working order for $250, take it.  It will work without the anemometer.  Then one day when you move, you at least have the anemometer to intsall.
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline ice_man1122

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
That was what I was thinking, just didn't know if it would work without it. Heck I'd most likly buy it even if I couldnt use it... I have wanted a Davis for some time now. But cost has always been a factor.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
ice_man1122, I have just replied to your query regarding the WMR200. Given the choice I would go for the used Davis, providing it's in good working order.

I had a WMR100 as a gift for Christmas 2007. Unfortunately I had lots of problems connecting the station to my computer. Oregon Scientific UK gave me the 200 as a replacement in October last year, so far the 200 as been faultless. Had OS not given me the 200, I would have bought a Davis. Unfortunately, here in the UK we have to pay almost double what you guys in the US and Canada have to pay for out stations.  :-(

Alan.
Alan

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »

we have to pay almost double what you guys in the US and Canada have to pay for out stations.

I know that the UK models use a different frequency, but what (or who) would stop you from using a USA model , especially a wired model? The price difference would probably pay for a return flight.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »
Paying double(+) for stuff is just a feature of living in the UK
I remember going there when the pound was $2.40 cdn.

Rule of thumb, take the price you would pay for anything then the price would be the same in north american currency.

A can of coke, which costs a buck here. was 1 pound.
A $14,000 dodge neon (I have not been for several years), saw an ad on the subway 14,000 pounds

Gas when it was $3.30 a gallon in the US, was $6.52 (converted to u$)...

The only thing I saw that was cheaper was beer, a pint at the local pub was a Pound...  So if its beer you are after....

Andrew

I know that the UK models use a different frequency, but what (or who) would stop you from using a USA model , especially a wired model? The price difference would probably pay for a return flight.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »

we have to pay almost double what you guys in the US and Canada have to pay for out stations.

I contacted Davis last summer asking if it would possible to purchase one of their stations from the US and was told a very firm NO. The reason they gave was should I need to return the instrument whilst under warranty, neither they, or their suppliers in the UK would offer any help. This was a risk I was not prepared to take.

I could purchase one off ebay, shipped from the US, but I would still have the warranty problem.

Alan.
Alan

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »
Andrew,

The UK is in deep recession at the moment. The pound sterling (£) has lost a third of it's value in the pat six months against the US dollar and the euro (€). We have friends who have retired and now living in Continental Europe, their UK pensions are paid in sterling, but their cost of living is in euros. Some are being forced to return to the UK because their standard of living has become so desperate.

I can't see the situation improving in the short term. The only people who feel secure are the ones retired, me included, at least we can't be made redundant, and we know what income we have to live off. I'm sure you have a similar situation across the pond, they do say this recession is global.

Alan
Alan

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
Helllo everyone
 I am new to the board, and somewhat new to weather ststions. In the past I owned a lacross 23?? but sold it on our last move. I am now interested in getting back into it, as it was a hobbie wich I found to be quit enjoyable. Living in Minisota, it is also quit usefull in the winter. Anyway the other day I was asked from a friend if I wanted to buy his, as he is moving out of statw and doesn't know if he'll ever use it again. What he has is a Davis vp2 the wireless version wich he want to sell for 250.00.  My only real concern is that due to where I live I would have to mount the anometer on the roof. Something wich my landlord my not be too keen on. so I am thinking of just using the temp, hydro, and rain gauge. What I don't know if if the vp2 will work with out the anometer. Have any of you used the vp2 without it?? I'd love to hear your thoughts.... thank you , Duane.

I got my entire vp2 mounted to a post.  I didn't want to put the anemometer on my roof because it's too much of a bother and would probably be an eyesore.  Besides, it seems more user friendly to put the anemometer where you feel the wind, which is at or near face level.  Let the airport and the pilots worry about getting a wind reading at 3 meters, or so.

So, in your case is it also impossible to mount the anemometer next to the rest of the vp2?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »
I could purchase one off ebay, shipped from the US, but I would still have the warranty problem.

Alan.

It likely would not work since the frequency is very diff. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ice_man1122

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 10:15:06 PM »
No I could place it together, it just wouldnt be in the best place for wind readings. Beside the garage, therre are a few trees. Now there are a place or two wich might be fair... Still I wouldnt have the 30 feet or so of clearance, nor would I be 300 feet from the building. I belive I may have 30 to 40 feet from the building, with a few small trees near by. Of course that may be fine, all I really need to know if what is it at my house....

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »
It would work, you just might get into trouble with the radio frequency police, as the north american frequency is probably used for something else. You need a licence over there just to have a TV, until 1971 you needed a licence to have a radio....  they have van's that drive around with special equipment looking for people with tv's that have not paid the fee.

Andrew

Alan.

It likely would not work since the frequency is very diff. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25:43 AM »
By "not work" I mean it will get clobbered.  There are legitimate users on 8nn freq Davis uses on the other side of the pond whose usage would saturate the channel  most likely.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything