Author Topic: New hurricane scale might change the way we measure dangerous storms  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
I came across the following story on Twitter courtesy of ChaserTV.

I read this as an attempt to marginalize/compete with the NWS on what the NWS/NHC do very well, or they are doing it for ratings like all the crap TWC does, which is crap IMHO.

GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: New hurricane scale might change the way we measure dangerous storms
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:14 AM »
If it doesn't come from NOAA, I don't pay attention to it.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:40 AM »
I read that article. These private companies make all there advances using NOAA data. Nothing wrong with that but I would never buy that product for that reason.
Besides,  I don't like AccuWeather for trying to get rid of NOAA.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
A very good point, Ocala on companies using NOAA data for something like this. I have never cared for Accuweather myself, plus if they go forward with this, how will any of the general public understand where their rating classification comes from, how its derived, etc. Accuweather will say its proprietary to them only on how they arrived at the rating. That is unfair to the general population as to what storm affects them.

For that matter, it makes me wonder if Accuweather is collaborating with the insurance companies on this for their mutual benefit? Just a thought that has occurred to me.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:31 AM »
I don't usually contact my senator but he will be hearing from me in regards to Myers trying to be appointed to an agency in charge of NOAA. I don't care if he divested himself from everything AccuWeather. He has other plans. 😠
Let me explain my position here. Barry Myers is Trump's candidate to  be the head of NOAA. He is the the brother of Joel Myers,  co founder of Accuweather. In anticipation of his nomination he divested himself from everything AccuWeather. Do you really think he can run NOAA objectively?
I sure don't. Hence my position.
AccuWeather tried once to get rid of NOAA with the help of senator Rick Santorum who is also from Pennsylvania, where AccuWeather is based.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:11:38 AM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
I don't usually contact my senator but he will be hearing from me in regards to Myers trying to be appointed to an agency in charge of NOAA. I don't care if he divested himself from everything AccuWeather. He has other plans. 😠
Let me explain my position here. Barry Myers is Trump's candidate to  be the head of NOAA. He is the the brother of Joel Myers,  co founder of Accuweather. In anticipation of his nomination he divested himself from everything AccuWeather. Do you really think he can run NOAA objectively?
I sure don't. Hence my position.
AccuWeather tried once to get rid of NOAA with the help of senator Rick Santorum who is also from Pennsylvania, where AccuWeather is based.

A very good point, Ocala. My Senators will here from me as well on this. I have not kept up with the politics of this.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
I don't usually contact my senator but he will be hearing from me in regards to ... 
My Senators will here from me as well on this.

Have any of Mitch's Muppets shot down an Orange Julius pick yet?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »
You call it SIX...some call it HALF-DOZEN...others call it one-tenth of Sexagesimal (base 60).  :roll:
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything