Author Topic: Help Choosing A DSLR  (Read 3521 times)

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Help Choosing A DSLR
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:40 AM »
I am currently looking at a number of DSLR cameras for everyday use, including weather photography.

The two I have shortlisted are, the Nikon D60, and the Canon 40D, both have 18-55mm kit lenses. Does anyone have any experience with either?

I haven't mentioned a budget as I shall be purchasing in the UK.

I still have my old Canon T90 35 mm camera so have some experience with Canon, but none with Nikon. I am also aware that my old FD lenses, or flash wont work with the new Canon DSLR.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Help Choosing A DSLR
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »
I have a D80.  Love it.   D60 is a newer slightly scaled down version as far as I know.  I am sure its a great camera though.

However if you have room in your budget, I would get a better lense.   The 18-55 is pretty "cheap", of course by Nikon standards.  Also 55 is not much of a zoom...

I went with the 18-70 at the time.  Much better optics, body, etc or course its almost 4 times the price  Now the 16-85 is the premier kit lense. (7 times the price of 18-55)

My father just got a d80 with the 16-85 on boxing day, mispriced on website, got the whole package for the price of the lense, by 10am it was changed back to $1399 which was full retail less 5%....

How much is the D60 package, found it on a UK site for 399 Pounds.  I was surprise, usually you guys get you-know-what'd on prices in England.  Its "only" 26% higher over there.  I was thinking the usual doubling factor....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:07:42 AM »
Here is a comparison of your short-listed cameras along with my personal preference, the Canon EOS XSi:
http://tinyurl.com/slrcomparison

I have used Canon SLR's since the AE-1 first appeared and I really like them.  The EOS XSi takes marvelous pictures.  I'm strictly an amateur photographer with no professional aspirations, so its feature-set is more than adequate for my needs.  My brother on the other hand has a Nikon D80 which also takes marvelous pictures.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline FishDude

• OFA Weather Web!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
I have used Canon SLR's since the AE-1 first appeared and I really like them.  The EOS XSi takes marvelous pictures. 

I picked up a XSI in September and LOVE IT! I got a Canon IS zoom lens for christmas & it is truly amazing! I think if you can afford the Canon it is worth it. My other "cheaper" option was the Hot Nikon at the time, don't remember what it was.

Canon DSLR + Canon Photo Printer = AMAZING prints!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:47:08 AM »
Did not realize the Canon 40d was that expensive, so the D90 is probably another option for you. 

Sounds like you will be happy with either the Canon or Nikon.........

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think my next move is to go to a store and handle a few before I make a decision.

Incidentally the Eos XSI is sold here in the UK as the Eos 450D, body only £419 sterling, at current rate of exchange $603 US!

Is that good or bad?

Alan.
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
that's pretty good. retails here for C$679.99, which is £378 or u$542
Andrew

ps: found one US website in NYC listing it for u$649.95

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think my next move is to go to a store and handle a few before I make a decision.

Incidentally the Eos XSI is sold here in the UK as the Eos 450D, body only £419 sterling, at current rate of exchange $603 US!

Is that good or bad?

Alan.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »
So the pound sterling hadn't fell as much as I first thought.  =D>  =D>
Alan

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
First, don't get swayed by megapixels--packing more megapixels on the same size sensor is a real compromise, and unless you're always going to crop small portions of your image and then print large, you don't gain much with huge megapixel cameras. Plus going from 10-12, or 12-14, etc... is a fairly small percentage gain, and usually not material in image quality.

Second, definitely handle the cameras. I found the XSi body to be too small (and I don't have large hands). Also, larger sized bodies will have larger pentaprisms, making the viewfinder image brighter. (in fact, I believe that some of the smaller bodies, and the original Digital Rebel, have mirrors in the viewfinder image path, rather than a true prism--prisms are better)

I have the original Canon Digital Rebel, and recently bought the 40D. I'm a Cannon person right now. My brother is a Nikon person. Mostly preference, both are good brands. The consensus seems to be that Nikon, with their latest models, and especially their full sensor model, have pulled ahead of Cannon in image quality and features for the $--which is to say that for the longest time Cannon's were thought to have the slight edge in image quality because of their CMOS sensor (Nikon has started to use this type sensor I believe) and Digic processing...

Most people that debate the comparative quality of the two brands in the major photo forums don't seem to actually take a lot of photos, or if they do, it's for pixel peeping purposes to nit-pic. It's who's behind the camera that will have the most impact on photo quality. So don't get too swayed by any of the chatter on the forums.

As for lenses... I've got the original kit lens, 28-135 IS, 70-200 f4 L, 50 f1.8, and the Tamron 28-75, and 17-35.

If you go to the Tamron site, I think they've got a lens focal length comparison page, where you can interactively see the difference zoom ranges.

Try to figure out what type of pictures you'll be taking most of the time, and match zoom range for the lens. The ultra zoom lenses are getting fairly decent (like 18-125), but you still have image quality compromises at both ends of the zoom range. The upside is that you have only one lens to carrying around.

I go through phases where I really like what a wide angle zoom can do (my 17-35), but other times want to have more zoom power. The Tamron 28-75 is small enough and light enough to carry around as a second lens.

A consideration for the longer zooms (200 and above) is whether you can hold the camera steady enough to avoid motion blur... for me, my hands aren't as steady as when I was younger  :sad:, so an image stabilization lens (IS for Cannon, VR for Nikon) can be useful and give you 2-4 more stops of leeway in exposure.

Consensus (even by some diehard Nikon fans) seems to be that Cannon has a bit more selection in lenses, and more in the "L" class (i.e., $$$) than the comparative Nikon lenses. However, Sigma and Tamron have many highly reviewed lenses available, usually at lower cost than Nikon or Cannon--so you can't get too hung up on what's available directly from the manufacturer.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:17:13 AM by ncpilot »
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
Marc, thanks for the tip reference the Tamron site, I found a lot of useful information there. I have decided whatever camera I buy I shall get a body only and spend some extra money on a better lens. Tamron appear to be a third cheaper than either Canon or Nikon, in fact I also learnt that if I bought Canon I could use the FD lenses off my old T90.

Alan
Alan

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »
Mark (ncpilot) has some great advice there, especially regarding megapixel counts.  I have an older 20D which I love.  If you don't yet have any lenses you get to make the decision of which you will live with for a good while since it's hard to change later once you have invested in high-end glass.  Either will suit your needs and perform well.  Let us know what you pick and post some shots!
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
...in fact I also learnt that if I bought Canon I could use the FD lenses off my old T90.

Alan

I'd research that claim a bit... from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD

and:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html

Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 03:12:14 AM »
Thanks Marc, very useful information and well worth the read.

Alan
Alan