Author Topic: Which data logger on VP2+ approach recommended?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline dtidmore

Which data logger on VP2+ approach recommended?
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of my new Vantage Pro2 Plus (moving from Ambient Weather hardware).  I already use a Meteobridge and intend to continue to use it with the new VP2.  I know that I can use Davis's Weatherlink IP or Weatherlink USB or Belfryboy's USB clone to connect to my Meteobridge (the MeteoStick is another option but it seems to have more disadvantages than the others)

From what I have gleaned, the WeatherLinkIP is fairly lame and the only REAL advantage I see is that it directly sends to Davis's WeatherLink reporting site, BUT there are issues if you are wanting to pull data from it at a heavy rate.  The one advantage I saw to the new WeatherLink2 site was to use it on an iPad in kiosk mode as a full time display. I am NOT wed to sending data to Davis.

Given the issues with the WeatherLinkIP reporting frequency, does the USB approach, in particular Belfryboy's clone have issues feeding data at real-time rates from the display?  Again, I can live without Davis's Weatherlink2 Site as I already report to quite a few sites from my Meteobridge and really prefer to continue having the Meteobridge be my primary fed to everyone. 

I am comfortable with setting up any of the options, but I really want real-time updates feeding into the Meteobridge.

Thoughts?

Thanks
David

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: Which data logger on VP2+ approach recommended?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
Many here in the forum are happy with the Belfryboy logger.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:08:22 PM »
I ordered one today. 

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
My Belfryboy logger arrived in about a week (amazing considering shipping from England).  I plugged it directly into my MB and have not had a single issue.  There has been discussion as to the need for a USB 1.1 -> 2.0 hub when using the Belfryboy, but Mike clearly states that his logger IS USB2.0 compliant and from what I am experiencing, it is INDEED compatible with the USB2.0 USB port on the TPLink TL-MR3020 hardware I am using for my meteobridge. 

WeatherCat ha NO issues pulling LOOP2 (ie realtime) data using the IP address of the MB (I have my MB setup with a fixed IP address).

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 07:31:43 AM »
Happy to be of service!

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 02:20:36 AM »
Apologies to bump up an old thread, but I have a very similar question.  With the meteobridge offering to archive the data, is there much value in the data being archived in the weatherlink cable?  Can I get away with something like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873 or is there something special to the weatherlink cables themselves?

Sorry about the newbie question!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 02:31:15 AM »
Stromboli, before Davis locked down the interface (read up on "green dot" on this forum) the FTDI adapter would have worked, but now the console "interrogates" the cable first, looks for a valid response and then opens the interface port. Weatherlink loggers, and the third party clones all have the ability to respond correctly to the interrogation. If you only use the FTDI converter the console responds with "no"

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 02:37:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply, that is super helpful for the confirmation!... And is also a total bummer for us...  With the Adesto AT45DB011D-SSH obsolete, have you found any workarounds for a replacement chip?  Was the original discovery of this particular chip made by unpotting the original adapter?  Has anyone tried to unpot a newer "green dot" adapter?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:38:43 AM by stromb0li »

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 02:43:56 AM »
I simply bought a supply of the adesto chips with a different footprint before they went obsolete as well. I suspect Davis have a large supply of the chips because when the end of life warning came out adesto were selling reels of 25000 units.

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 02:45:53 AM »
Gotcha!  Thank you for the responses, super helpful :)