Author Topic: Pi 3 B+  (Read 2191 times)

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
Pi 3 B+
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »
Is Weewx compatible with the new Pi 3 B+?
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Pi 3 B+
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
Why wouldn't it be?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »
I came across some reports that software needed to be updated for the Pi 3 B+

Perhaps they were confusing that with needing to update Raspbian for the 3 B+

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »
I'd also expect weewx to be fine.

I did get my Pi 3B+ today.  I'll see if I can try a quick load of weewx tonight to see how it goes.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »
Everything looks OK with weewx on the Pi 3 B+.

I did a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch from a full NOOBS setup, then loaded weewx using the instructions here: http://weewx.com/docs/debian.htm

Using the weewx defaults and running the simulator, everything seems to come up fine.

The only problems I ran into weren't weewx related. 

The power supply I've been using wimped out on me, and the Stretch installation would fail at about 17%.  I could tell I was having power issues because of the "lightning bolt" that would appear from time to time on the desktop.  Using a beefier power supply fixed that problem.

Setting up the WiFi took a little longer than usual as you now have to set the country code for WiFi in raspi-conf.

Otherwise, setup of the Pi and weewx was typical.

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »

I did a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch from a full NOOBS setup, then loaded weewx using the instructions here: http://weewx.com/docs/debian.htm

Using the weewx defaults and running the simulator, everything seems to come up fine.

The power supply I've been using wimped out on me, and the Stretch installation would fail at about 17%.  I could tell I was having power issues because of the "lightning bolt" that would appear from time to time on the desktop.  Using a beefier power supply fixed that problem.

Setting up the WiFi took a little longer than usual as you now have to set the country code for WiFi in raspi-conf.

Thank you for testing that for me! I'll get to work on mine tonight.

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
I got the RTC setup and weewx installed - all seems to be working fine. Since I'm feeding meteotemplate it makes no difference, but I did notice that there is no /var/www folder.