Author Topic: Frustration with Hub  (Read 1369 times)

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
Frustration with Hub
« on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:26 PM »
I am growing increasingly frustrated with my Acu(almost)rite hub.  I keep losing the signal to my 5 in 1.  Yet my console just a foot away will be showing a full signal.  I am considering an alternative weather station but I am just not sure what brand without spending a fortune.  On social security. 

Station is a 5 in 1 and Meteobridge sending to my website http://rathdrumweather.us.  I can use wither Meteobridge  or Weather Display.  I purchased a cheap computer just for my weather station/server.  Any thoughts on the Ambient series of stations or other alternatives.  I think the Atlas series is going to be out of my price range. 

Dennis - KK7X

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Frustration with Hub
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
The antenna of the hub can be hard to aim.

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
That is a given, I have been putting up with it for a couple of years.  Moving it here and there, next move is the dumpster.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »
Use the diagnostic page of the hub. Pull it up on your router, and then move the hub, hit refresh, and find the spot that gives at least a 2 on the signal level. The signal level on myacurite does not update for a long time.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:24:45 PM »
I am growing increasingly frustrated with my Acu(almost)rite hub.  I keep losing the signal to my 5 in 1.  Yet my console just a foot away will be showing a full signal. 

Keep in mind the console is not actually showing you signal strength.  The console starts showing you full bars, then subtracts bars as scheduled packets are missed.  The display could be in an area of very bad signal... but as long as it can decode the data, the bars show will be shwown indicating things are "just great!".

The SmartHUB, on the other hand, works more like your cell phone bars.... the bar display is driven by an RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) value determined by the radio hardware.  Even if you only have 1 bar, a signal can still get through.

anything