Author Topic: Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?  (Read 16891 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:17 AM »
ftp other than WU wont work as camera will send in different filename each time
There are ways to change date/time stamped images on your server.  A search should find some discussion on this.

Enjoy,
Paul
I have a mac and that pretty much screws the pooch.   Blue Iris works fine if you have a pc.

Offline ChrisD_

• Weather Underground
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
Forgive me if this is off-topic but I recently discovered the Mac program SecuritySpy and I'm considering it as a replacement for IPTimeLapse. I too use Macs for day-to-day stuff but I also run a 'headless' Win10 box on my home network just for the few programs that won't work without Windows. SecuritySpy has the option to FTP files on a schedule with a static filename (like "image.jpg") as well as streaming video. It appears to lack the ability to make time-lapse videos. https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ (Not a recommendation since I haven't tried it yet.)

Online bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »
From the thread WebCam Improved... :

My webcam had been updating perfect since 10/23/17.  This morning it stopped updating at 3:38AM MST.  I emailed support and Jeff Masters as my usual during the problems of webcam updating started.

At 10:25AM today I got an email from Jeff.

"Hi David, thanks for all your reporting of issues with webcams over the past few months. Due to the difficulty we've had maintaining this feature, its negative ROI, and the downsizing of our staff, it has been decided to drop the webcam feature from WU on December 15. An announcement will go up on our webcam page on Wednesday. I'm sorry to see this feature go."

It looks like it is time to find another place to post your webcam photos  :-(
It appears that as IBM takes control of legacy WU systems and applications,  everything that does not generate a revenue stream is being removed.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »
so WU webcams are to be gone
what next I wonder?

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:22 PM »
My guess... detailed weather information is next, unless you purchase a subscription.

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2017, 05:07:17 AM »
From the thread WebCam Improved... :

My webcam had been updating perfect since 10/23/17.  This morning it stopped updating at 3:38AM MST.  I emailed support and Jeff Masters as my usual during the problems of webcam updating started.

At 10:25AM today I got an email from Jeff.

"Hi David, thanks for all your reporting of issues with webcams over the past few months. Due to the difficulty we've had maintaining this feature, its negative ROI, and the downsizing of our staff, it has been decided to drop the webcam feature from WU on December 15. An announcement will go up on our webcam page on Wednesday. I'm sorry to see this feature go."

It looks like it is time to find another place to post your webcam photos  :-(
It appears that as IBM takes control of legacy WU systems and applications,  everything that does not generate a revenue stream is being removed.

Thanks for this information.   It explains the issues with my own webcam.

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
WU has lost its soul.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
Forgive me if this is off-topic but I recently discovered the Mac program SecuritySpy and I'm considering it as a replacement for IPTimeLapse. I too use Macs for day-to-day stuff but I also run a 'headless' Win10 box on my home network just for the few programs that won't work without Windows. SecuritySpy has the option to FTP files on a schedule with a static filename (like "image.jpg") as well as streaming video. It appears to lack the ability to make time-lapse videos. https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ (Not a recommendation since I haven't tried it yet.)

i am presently running SecuritySpy and it is the mac version of Blue Iris,  with some notable differences.   I have two foscams that have the ability to send  images (FTP)  directly to a server.  The downside  is the inability for them to overwrite the previous image , hence a lot of time stamped images that quickly fill up the capacity of the server  to goes to.   Sadly that was a function they had when they were in the infant stage.   I really liked being able to shut my computer down or in to sleep mode and have the cameras send the images to WU, then I could embed the image onto my web page as it updated.

So I am using Security Spy.  It is expensive to use.  There are other programs but are questionable because of the permissions they require.   WeatherDisplay, WeatherCat will send images to sites they can populate.    I do have dual platform via parallels desktop that I could use.

What I need, unfortunately isn't something available  the camera that doesn't send timestamped updates, but only the current image.

Weather Underground provided a lot,  not only could you get the current conditions but you would see the cloud or surface condition . It provided a lacing of sorts between the two.

So WU right now accepts our data and that is fine,  the images are gone for now.  Shit.  double shit

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
What I need, unfortunately isn't something available  the camera that doesn't send timestamped updates, but only the current image.
But timestamped images can be changed on your webserver to fixed name http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33009.msg334485#msg334485
or am I misunderstanding?

Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »
But timestamped images can be changed on your webserver to fixed name http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33009.msg334485#msg334485
or am I misunderstanding?

Paul
I have Hostmonster, so if I send an image from my Foscam camera, it sends time stamped.  It fills up quickly. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »
But, setup correctly, that script will take the most recent timestamped image, rename it to a fixed filename, and remove the timestamped image, so only one image is there at a time.  I don't have my Hikvision working anymore but this was the last image sent by my Hikvision IP camera after the script's rename http://www.komokaweather.com/pictures/hvipimage/hvipimage.jpg and it worked perfect at the time.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything