Author Topic: Vantage Vue posting to OpenWeatherMap?  (Read 984 times)

Offline jnissen

Vantage Vue posting to OpenWeatherMap?
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:34:03 PM »
I have a several year old Vantage Vue that has one of the Davis WeatherlinkIP logger modules connected to a CAT5 Ethernet cable. The standard Davis Weatherlink interface seems to work fine. I can upload to WeatherUnderground from there easily. I used the WU API in the past to display my local weather on several small internet of things (IOT) displays. I have one at my desk at home and one at my office. Similar to these: https://thingpulse.com/

Well since WU is changing the API none of my devices are guaranteed to work in the near future. In fact the 22nd (today) is supposed to be the last day of the old API still being active.
I'd like to use the OpenWeathermap API to replace the WU version. My devices do not support the new WU API.

Question - Can I use WeeWx to do the OpenWeatherMap update? I tried it and it seems to collide with the console. The WU seems to no longer get updated and the Weatherlink web site shows the station is offline. I then tried to enable WU from WeeWx and that was working but it's still not quite working for openweathermap. Ideally would like to have all three (Weatherlink, WU, and Openweathermap) working together. Is this possible? WHat is the magic needed to make that happen?

BTW - I have WeeWx running on a Raspberry Pi on my local network doing some other activity so it's capable of talking to the WeatherlinkIP module OK.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:38:37 PM by jnissen »

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Vantage Vue posting to OpenWeatherMap?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
You can only run one weather software at the time. If you do multiples, You will have collisions.... WeeWx can upload to openweathermap... See here: https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/openweathermap

I would stop using the davis weatherlink. WeeWx is more powerful.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
You could get a 2nd console. I'd wait for the WeatherLink Live though.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »
I'd wait for the WeatherLink Live though.

Not sure why you think that WLL will solve this sort of question? WLL is hardware; it will add WiFi logging and make it much easier to install sensor combinations that are beyond a standard VP2 console. But it's not of itself going to extend software capabilities. There are hints that Davis might extend the onward upload targets from weatherlink.com at some point but this has always been a controversial topic within Davis I suspect. (The issue is not the principle AFAIK, but more practical points like who writes and pays for any extra coding that may be necessary, what happens if a platform changes their preferred upload format eg to accommodate extra sensors, and I think more than anything the potential extra support load for Davis when a third-party platform has any outages or other issues - some users will contact Davis if an upload appears to go down even when it's nothing to do with Davis.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:40:52 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
I'd wait for the WeatherLink Live though.

Not sure why you think that WLL will solve this sort of question?

My point is that a second console will allow you to run multiple softwares at the same time. If you have a WLL for Weatherlink.com, then that frees up the display console and its logger for WeeWx use.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:21:58 PM »
My point is that a second console will allow you to run multiple softwares at the same time.

Ah OK, sorry, I misunderstood your post slightly. I don't know weewx in detail but slightly surprised if it doesn't have a setting to release the IP logger once a minute to allow uploads to wl.com, albeit these workarounds never seem to be 100% bulletproof.

But yes I agree with the general approach that it's best to have one console/logger device (eg the WiFi logger) to handle all the push uploads and then (in the absence of a new version of VVP) additional console/loggers for each real-time pull program you want to use.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jnissen

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 09:05:10 PM »
Thanks all. I was thinking the same thing but since I only started to think about this problem for a day or two I figured I'd ask.

SO the plan for now is to disable the auto-upload from the Weatherlink. Then disable the transmission to WL from the web interface of the WL-IP logger. Once that is turned off then use the WeeWx setup to query data from the console WL-IP logger and upload to WU and Openweathermap.

I thought about possibly just upgrading to a WiFi logger and modify the code to allow upload to OpenWeatherMap. I may still do that if the OpenWeathermap option were enabled soon. You know how difficult it may be to enable another upload option on that platform?

anything