Author Topic: Problem in transferring file thru FTP in WeatherLink 5.7  (Read 9270 times)

Offline ilee1

Problem in transferring file thru FTP in WeatherLink 5.7
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:33:41 AM »
Hi,

I am using WeatherLink 5.7 and having a problem during "Upload Progress". I'm using FTP to other server using "Internet Transfer Enabled" option.
It's just hung there on "Reports: Upload Weather Underground".

Any other settings that I need to set..? or is it because of the FTP settings?
It used to run well, only recently got this problem.

Thanks and cheers

Offline ilee1

Re: Problem in transferring file thru FTP in WeatherLink 5.7
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:16:40 AM »
Hi,

It's me again. Just to add up more details to the issue...

I managed to upload to local drive (Local Transfer Enabled) successfully. So this will narrow down a bit, which may or maynot be FTP problem.
I set the same offset time and same upload frequency to 30 min (for 6 profiles). It was working fine before.

When "Upload Progress" screen appears, there are few check boxes in there. It hung when it ticks on "Create Historical Images"...and some mopre --> Reports: Upload Weather Underground
Since it's hung, then I had to END the process.  :(

Thanks and Regards.......

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53:58 AM »
What do the logs say about it? Go to File|View Logs.

Offline ilee1

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »
The log says:
WeatherLink tried to open a com port that is in use by another program.

Now we are using COM 3. I guess it's by default.
Is it recommended to change WeatherLink COM port?
Or any other settings to change....?

Thanks

Offline ilee1

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:09:53 AM »
So i know there's no program running on this machine except WeatherLink.
FYI, FTP is using port 21.

Offline jaded

• http://home.comcast.net/~jadeters/Weather.htm
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:10:46 AM »
Go through it a step at a time.  Turn off "Internet transfer enabled" and turn on "Local transfer enabled."  Make sure it runs to completion locally without the FTP step.

Next check your ftp settings.  You'll need your hosting provider's ftp server name and your login and password info.  The best way to test FTP is to manually run FTP yourself.
Click start/run then type "ftp" in the box and click OK.
You'll get an ftp> prompt.  At the prompt, type
open type-your-ftp-hosting-provider-address-here.com
(remember that all commands to the ftp program need to be followed by your pressing "enter".)
If you don't get connected, you might have the wrong name for your ftp server, or your hosting site might be down.  Carefully doublecheck your provider's FTP host name on their web site.

If you do get connected, your FTP server should give you some happy message, then prompt you to type your user name and password.  Do so.

If you don't get logged in, it should tell you why.  You might have the wrong password, your account may be suspended or terminated, your share might be full, you might not have paid your bill this month, or something else might be wrong.  

If you do get in, you'll get more information and another ftp> prompt.  Read the information carefully, it might also give you a clue if there's something wrong.  Look for words like "quotas" and "limits".  Next, at the ftp> prompt, type "dir".  It should list all the files in your root directory, and might be helpfully followed by any quotas and or limitations, and what you have remaining.  

Type "quit" to get out of FTP.

Now that you've verified your ftp settings, retype them all into WeatherLink's "Internet Connection Settings" dialog, and click OK.  Get back to the main screen and wait till it tries again (you might want to temporarily speed up your profile's upload frequency for testing.)

--

Also, check your Weather Underground settings.  Verify your station name and password are correct by signing onto your weatherunderground account on the web, then verify your settings in your weather station match.

Good luck!

Offline ilee1

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for late reply..
I still got problem. i tried to do ftp to the destination server, it prompts me: "connection closed by remote host"...It doesn't prompt any username or password. If I use "ping", it works.

However when i try to ftp from other server to the same destination server, it works OK...
Port 21 is working fine in destination server.

Can the problem be at the port in WeatherLink machine..? Our network engineer has run and monitor the ftp process, and feedback no error.

Does anybody encounter this before? Can somebody give me a hand?

Thanks

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:42:33 AM »
This sounds like a problem in your local machine. If you can't manually FTP to the server from it, there's no reason to believe that weatherlink will be able to FTP to it either.

First step in dealing with these type of problems is to disable _any and all_ firewalls (software or hardware) to see if the problem clears. If it does, you need to properly configure the firewall to allow FTP through.

Offline ilee1

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:41:42 AM »
I had checked that no firewall is blocking.
As we can see from the log that it's searching for the port - that was used by another program or so called not available.
What can be other possibilities? can it be the COM port, COM3 ?
Is there anyway to reset the port settings?

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
The COM port isn't related to the FTP problem. The COM port is the communication between the PC and the Davis console.

Open a command prompt and try to ftp to the server from the command prompt:

ftp servername
or use the ip address.
ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  

Does it connect from the command prompt?

EDIT: Just reread the thread and see that jaded already suggested this and you couldn't connect. This leads me to believe the problem is not Weatherlink but something else like your machine setup, router setup or server setup.

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:46:51 PM »
These types of problems are difficult to help you with without some more information on your network environment. Can you answer the following:

When you say no firewall is blocking how do you know this? Did you completely disable the firewall(s) on your local machine?
Can you FTP to any other sites?
What OS is the client machine?
What OS is the server?
Is the server internal or external?
What FTP server (ie software) is being used on the server?
Are you using ISA or some other router?
If your router is ISA what mode is it operating in?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 02:41:58 PM »
Are both servers going through the same physical router? This could help confirm whether a router/firewall issue...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline ilee1

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 08:35:23 AM »
Hi all,

Our network engineer has extended his deep apologies to the whole team including this forum that we have put so much effort troubleshooting for weeks.

Sorry to tell that I'm a software developer so that I only can troubleshoot from my software end. Take sometime to figure out the network part.
I found out that there is a layer of network device in between that blocked the ftp.. :cry:  It was installed after the WeatherLink setup.

After disabling the device, the ftp goes fine....cheers..

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 09:19:04 AM »
Damn! Those freakin' hardware guys!!!  :lol:  :lol:

(because you know, software is never at fault...)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »
Quote from: "ilee1"

Our network engineer has extended his deep apologies to the whole team including this forum that we have put so much effort troubleshooting for weeks.

No need to apologize.

Quote from: "ilee1"

Sorry to tell that I'm a software developer so that I only can troubleshoot from my software end. Take sometime to figure out the network part.
I found out that there is a layer of network device in between that blocked the ftp.. :cry:  It was installed after the WeatherLink setup.

After disabling the device, the ftp goes fine....cheers..

That's why I was asking about your network topology. These types of problems are almost always something like this. Regardless, glad you got things worked out!

anything