Author Topic: Upload stops at random?  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Upload stops at random?
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:42:41 AM »
While running the setup provided by talbert1952 for auto emailing of data, I noticed that WL5.7.1 decided not to download and update the data!

Noticing that my daily data that was sent out was for the day before, I changed the profile to upload hourly instead of the once a day. Sure enough - it just randomly stopped with no errors in the log - just the time of the last upload and file creation. This afternoon's log showed it stopped for 5 hours, when I checked it.

It'll run fine for a random number of hours and then just "quit" with no further uploads after that last upload and file creation time. I've been watching this over the weekend and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason, particular time or set number of successful uploads before failing.

Could the Wunderground "Real Time Mode" utility have anything to do with this? I ask because it seems to have developed little quirks here and there since I installed that.

I've checked this forum for other similar situations, I went over my settings, I deleted and reconfigured the profile for uplad - no change.

Any ideas?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: Upload stops at random?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
Last nite, I cleared any and all profile configs out, restarted and created 1 profile for this one task to run every hour at :55 past the hour.

It ran 6 times then skipped one, ran 5 times then skipped another. I'm d/loading the station first and it shows no d/load for the skipped times and no errors. No other computer tasks or events are being executed at these times.

I guess I should remove the "Real time" module and see how that works.

Am I the only one with this type of problem of missed schedules?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
Are those skipped times by any chance the same time it did a WU upload?

I upload to WU every 10 minutes, with an offset that should not interfere with my regular webpage uploads... but I find that very often the uploads to WU are not exactly at 10 minute intervals...

So I suppose if it got off schedule enough, it could interfere with a Weatherlink upload...

Also, just for "fun", instead of uploading with FTP, try writing to a local file instead, and up the frequency to every 5 minutes--see if that stops working, or if it collides with the WU upload...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »
This last trial run has been only to local files.

I am finding a pattern now tho', with the hourly scheduling. A countdown. The first miss was after 6 good, the next after 5 good. Jokingly, I said - "HAH! Watch the next miss be after 4 good ones". Sure enough it was.

The next "logical" miss should be after 3 good ones. I have 1 good now - 2 more to go to 'prove' this. I'm going to let this run its course before changing anything as it has my curiousity running.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:17:26 PM »
Well, that's a head scratcher for sure...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
Well, it fooled me. It skipped an hour earlier.

Right now, I have everything turned off except that one hourly profile w/out d/loading the station first. It's only skipped twice since midnite.

A more practical question - if I were to install the software on another machine, will I be able to keep all my history (from Apr 2nd on) by transferring the data files? Or what would I need to do for a seamless relocate, as far as histories?

I need to eventually move this over so it might as well be now but I just don't want to lose my accumulated data.

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »
Install Weatherlink on the new box. Copy the whole Weatherlink folder from the old box to the new box overwriting the Weatherlink folder on the new box.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
Great. I was hoping it would as simple as that but you never know...

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:33:34 AM »
Cienega32 did you ever resolve this? I'm having a similar problem. My Log file does report "Error reading data from the station" and funny enough it seems to be on a schedule like you described. first at 6 hours then 5, then 3, etc.
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 09:15:04 AM »
I have found that my WeatherLink does the same thing if something else is going on with WeatherLink at the same time that the upload is supposed to start, such as the station downloading or if I restart the bulletin to reset the graph scales (one of my biggest annoyances).  My station archive interval is every five minutes, and I upload to the Internet every ten minutes, so I set the upload times to be three minutes past each ten minute part of the hour (3:03, 3:13, ect ...).

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
I have narrowed it down to only one profile and it only creates a local file, no uploads. That helped a little but it still faults every 6 hours or so. I have the profile set for 47 minutes after the hour so I don't think its interfering with other activities.

I suppose I'll have to contact Davis.

thanks!
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

anything