Author Topic: Is a Vantage Pro 3 being developed?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Is a Vantage Pro 3 being developed?
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2019, 02:12:04 PM »
I have the first alpha version of an android app to get data from a Davis WLL working
PM if anyone wants to be a tester (I need your email)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 04:03:12 PM »
the first release of the Android app is available
called
Daviswll

I will get an iOS version out soon

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
Nice job Brian. Keep at it. This has lots of potential. Thank you for taking this project on.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
Regarding Davis and a VP3 there is one more thing I wanted to bring to light.

Davis recently changed the rain tipper on the VP2 from a double tipper to a single tipping spoon. It was a rather interesting change. Many users are testing it and I'm not sure I've seen anything conclusive if it is better or the same reading that thread discussing it. But that isn't why I bring up that new tipper. I bring up the new tipper because although recently released it does not incorporate recent technology that Davis filed a patent on rain gauge working methods.

What this means is that Davis has newer technologies that have not yet been incorporated into any current products. Therefore it only makes sense that if these newer patented technologies are truly better, then we will see them in new products. Sure Davis still needs to test these and see if they really are better technologies, but from what I read I was impressed (yes I read the whole patent filing and it was mostly boring stuff but there were some nuggets in there). Davis can also licence the technology for other companies to use. But one thing that doesn't make sense is for Davis to do nothing with these patent technologies because patents run their course and then the technology is in the public domain. So in order to capitalize on them it wouldn't make sense to not do something with them.

Therefore it would be a neat thing to see this patented rain gauge stuff in a VP3. The neatest things I read in the patent was the use of a rain tipper that weighs the water between tips. It means that water can be measured by weight on each tip and the tipper doesn't need to fully empty as the difference is what would be used as a value. The tipper could be covered during tips so that it acts as an accumulated buffer and then drains when the tipper returns to upright position (no missed rain during tips). Also the patent discusses electro magnets to make the tipper move faster. Because it measures water by weight sand or silt on the tipper gets zeroed out also. It was a very impressive patent to read. I would like to see this technology realized in a new station. The current new tipper does not incorporate these patented ideas.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:54:54 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 11:26:07 PM »
In my instances, I've found that using weight is superior to using volume when calibrating my RW tipper.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2019, 03:46:59 AM »
Surely most automatic rain gauges (other than syphons and drop counters) work on weight - they're not aware of what volume is passing through.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
Surely most automatic rain gauges (other than syphons and drop counters) work on weight - they're not aware of what volume is passing through.
My point is that I've measured with both volume (800ml = 1" of rain) and weight (800 grams = 1" of rain) while calibrating my RW tipper and found that using weight is consistently more accurate than using volume. Obviously using my scale is more precise than using my syringes. Not only, it's ahellofalot easier to do with a scale as well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:10:21 PM by CW2274 »

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »
How are the real world field validation results going with the new single spoon?
Interested as I know some people prefer Rainwise 111, which I dont think has heater option/

Didn't know Davis had newer rain guage tech not released in addition to the single spoon so trying to understand how released product is performing.
I have old weather monitor 2 dual tipper so curious how single spoon works in case swapping out to dual is better to have heater option

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2019, 05:25:44 AM »
How are the real world field validation results going with the new single spoon?
Interested as I know some people prefer Rainwise 111, which I dont think has heater option/

Didn't know Davis had newer rain guage tech not released in addition to the single spoon so trying to understand how released product is performing.
I have old weather monitor 2 dual tipper so curious how single spoon works in case swapping out to dual is better to have heater option
the single spoon tipper is a big improvement over the older dual spoon design particularly noticeable under light rain short periods .

as for a console alternative

if you have a 7'' , 10''  ,12 ''  tablet running IOS or Android then here is a simple approach to just display live data , it does nothing else no charts no forecast , no additional data other than realtime data sniffed over the local network.

works with options Meteobridge Logger NANO(SD) or Meteobridge Pro or TPlink type Hubs with meteobridge software installed
and Weather Link Live.
It is a free app ..no ads , no purchase, no monetizing just free , * note it is a simple live data screen nothing else .

some screenshots and will make available end of the festive season as somewhat preoccupied to spend any time on support or ideas . open to ideas but keep it simple and the most common values will not get lost in a congested design.

however for Davis owners who own Weather link Live you may as well use the Davis app which is also free and probably better supported ?

to add windchill
to add heat index
to add light mode
to add ..open to ideas...

tablets

desktop app

scenarios

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:59:30 AM by weather34 »

Offline Guillaume_67370

• Contributor
    • METEO OFFENHEIM
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
Helllo,

Did someone have any news about Vantage pro 3 ?

Thanks

Offline davidg_nz

• Sandy Bay Weather
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »
Did someone have any news about Vantage pro 3 ?

Have a look at the WeatherLink Live. This is as close to the Vantage Pro 3 as you're likely to see for a few years.
Port Charles, Coromandel, New Zealand | Wired Vantage Pro2+, Ubiquiti AirCam
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand | Wireless Vantage Pro2+, 24h FARS, Leaf+Soil Station, Envoy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
There was mention of some patents that Davis holds.

What sort of things do they patent, such as a better rain sensor?  Temp sensor?  The patents must spell out how they do something. 

I agree to hold a patent and either not market it or use it makes little sense if it is of value.
Thx for any discussion.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2020, 10:05:41 PM »
There was mention of some patents that Davis holds.
The only thing I know for fact that Davis has a patent for is their ISS's 24hr radiation shield.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »
Thx, I'm not savvy enough to search registered patents to see what various companies have filed.

Radiation shields that I have are good enough for me.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2020, 10:28:11 PM »
Thx, I'm not savvy enough to search registered patents to see what various companies have filed.
Well, I didn't search for it, I happened along the info years ago. Besides, you asked, I answered.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2020, 07:18:33 AM »
All info is good, thx for sharing what you ran across.

I hope to live long enough to see a real revision of the Pro released.  The incremental changes keep it a top choice.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything