Author Topic: Alternative Dashboard Version 6.71 NOW RELEASED  (Read 31582 times)

Offline BurnsvilleWeather

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
Alternative Dashboard Version 6.71 NOW RELEASED
« on: May 16, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »
UPDATE:  Webster Weather Live is now called Burnsville Weather Live.  All current and future scripts will be hosted at the new link below!  Thanks!

Alternative Dashboard version 6.71 is now available (Full version and replacement for all V6.xx Versions)!  Version 6.xx expands on a lot of sections and changes the look quite a bit at the top.  I made this version to fit my station so it may not be right for everyone.  Please look over the requirement and be sure to do a backup before trying to use it.  I suggest you already have Version 5.xx minimum, version 6.5 ideal running to use this or be pretty patient with making a lot of changes!

Requirements:
Updated and expanded AjaxWDwx.js file based on version 9.xx from Bashewa Weather
Many more testtags to add in and a new config file for Alt-Dashboard6

New Features since version 6.6x:

New icons for Station Records separate from Weather-Underground (official, since they usually come from a NWS site in the USA).  I made it so you can show the readings under the temperature either from WU or your station (if you have 2 years of data or more) like before but now you can show the record Icon for one, both or none.  

Solar switching icon/section from Jerry Wilkins (with his permission, thanks Jerry!) and all the neat things that can do.  There are several changes for the config file too.

Tide Display and Switchable Lightning Display.  Now you can leave SNOW or TIDE on all the time and Lightning (if you have it), will over-ride the display if there is lightning being read on your station.  (You set the level to make it over-ride).

The Soil section now can handle both Imperial and Metric Temperatures with Icons for both.  There are also new Icons for both Official Records and Station Records if you choose to use them.

This version is also up-to-date with most of Ken's changes, many minor changes (dew point arrow, _ in one reading, etc) and some cosmetic changes as well.  This new version will now become the only version 6.xx version I will support since it has all the previous files and options plus more.

13-SEP-2012 - Download Version 6.71 HERE:
www.burnsvilleweatherlive.com/wxScripts.php
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:59:45 AM by BurnsvilleWeather »
www.BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com (Formally Webster Weather LIVE)
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Davis VP2 with, UV, Solar, Leaf, Web Cam.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Alternative Dashboard Version 6.70 NOW RELEASED
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
I have it running just fine at http://stillwaterweather.com/wx/2ndhome.php  Thank you!

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
Thanks, Scott, for the kind words.

Since I contributed significantly to the bloat in the ajaxWDwx.js file, I thought I should share the version I compressed online at http://www.lotterypost.com/js-compress.aspx which is less than half the size.  Just rename the original ajaxWDwx.js file to something appropriate, and use this compressed version ajaxWDwx67.min.js.txt after renaming it to ajaxWDwx.js  This file gets copied to the client computer and does the heavy lifting during real-time updates, so smaller is definitely better.  The compressed version differs slightly in that the title of the SI icon displays the method rather than the icon number when moused over.

A few words about the Solar Index might be appropriate.  I, like a few others, wondered why my SI was so high early and late in the day when the absolute W/m2 was quite low.  It turns out that the solar percent value used in the calculation, while essential for determining cloud cover, was not ideal for scaling the amount of solar energy hitting my sensor.  I devised an alternate scale using W/m2 based on the station's record high solar reading and set up a toggle in the dashboard code to switch back and forth between the two SI methods.  The problem with my code was that while the values of solar energy either as W/m2 or solar percent were updating via ajax, the SI icon was static, and thus not very useful when compared with the UV Index and icon which were 'live'.  Earlier this month I finally learned enough about what was going on between ajaxWDwx.js and ajaxDashboard6.php to finish the project by making the SI icons 'live' as well.

The configuration flags for the SI section were added so that you can default to either SI scale and toggle or not.  If SI switching is used, a terse footnote shows up that attempts to explain what's going on.

I do appreciate Scott's putting up with my questions and for allowing me to make life even more confusing for people. :-)

Edit:  It occurred to me during my bike ride this morning that there is another modification in the compressed ajaxWDwx76.min.js.txt I posted.  If you find that your current condition icon isn't working, I use the animated .gif's rather than the distribution's .jpg's, and the compressed ajaxWDwx67.min.js.txt is set up for .gif's.  Let me know if you're unable to compress the distribution ajaxWDwx.js and I'll try to provide one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:51:37 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
Hi Scott and thanks for all your work on this script

I have one problem (its a old problem) I get this error when I use the newest .js file your "http://www.sunprairieweather.com/clientraw.txt file could not be found" in the past when I updated to the newest dashboard I used version .js version 4.2 and never get any errors but loose some functionality any ideas what is causing this off the top of your head dont go to any trouble i can alaways use the .js version that I dont get errors with http://www.sunprairieweather.com

Thanks Andy
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:35 PM »
You do need to go in and edit it or use the config file with it.  I don't normally put the config file in the archive because it is a requirement of version 6 to have that installed already.  Send me an email with your email and I'll send you a copy.  If you haven't done a lot of custom mods on your site, it's pretty easy to setup.

Scott

I have one problem (its a old problem) I get this error when I use the newest .js file your "http://www.sunprairieweather.com/clientraw.txt file could not be found" in the past when I updated to the newest dashboard I used version .js version 4.2 and never get any errors but loose some functionality any ideas what is causing this off the top of your head dont go to any trouble i can alaways use the .js version that I dont get errors with http://www.sunprairieweather.com

Thanks Andy
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »
Hey Scott,

It's picky-picky again.

Think there's a small problem here in ajax.dash, ~2146...

<?php
   if (($haveUV) and ($dayornight == 'Day') and ($useSISwitch)) {
?>
<sup>9</sup> <?php echo $FootSI; ?>

Currently all it prints is the <sup>9</sup>. Shouldn't it be...

<?php
?>
<sup>9</sup> <?php echo $Foot9; ?>

Many thanks for your usual great job. I can see a lot of work went into this update.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:57:38 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline jdee

• Mayo Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
Scott Thank you once again for this script - outstanding!

Can you have a look here http://www.carrowhawny.com and tell me whats going on with the formatting under the Liquid Precipitation element as the text is not formatted correctly - also is the column spacing correct?

Many thanks

Phil

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »
Hey Scott,

It's picky-picky again.

<?php
?>

<?php
?>

Many thanks for your usual great job. I can see a lot of work went into this update.

I'll jump in here, John, since I created the problem you've discovered.  I also noticed the persistence of my temporary footnote name when I was updating my dashboard this morning, and I should have said something.  A search for $FootSI and replacement with $Foot9 will indeed solve the problem.  My apologies.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
My fault, I missed that one!  It's been corrected in the archive as of now!   #-o

Scott

Hey Scott,

It's picky-picky again.

<?php
?>

<?php
?>

I'll jump in here, John, since I created the problem you've discovered.  I also noticed the persistence of my temporary footnote name when I was updating my dashboard this morning, and I should have said something.  A search for $FootSI and replacement with $Foot9 will indeed solve the problem.  My apologies.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
Scott Thank you once again for this script - outstanding!

Can you have a look here http://www.carrowhawny.com and tell me whats going on with the formatting under the Liquid Precipitation element as the text is not formatted correctly - also is the column spacing correct?

Many thanks

Phil

The column spacing appears to be correct, Phil, given the graphics at the top of your dashboard.  However, there's a formatting glitch as you point out.

Scott, there are 3 areas that don't center when 'wide' is set, and this is one of them.  'Almanac' and 'Wind' are the other two.  A <td ...align="center"... > addition in the appropriate place fixes each of them.  I have corrected the dashboard code on my site so that there is consistent formatting when 'wide' is set.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:10:39 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
Re-Released with fixes:

I found a validation error that I've now fixed and added in the center code for those that have wide display (I can't test this one so someone will need to tell me if it's ok).  I also fixed the footnote! 

Since so few have downloaded it so far, if you have a version dated the 16, please update to the 17th version.  The archive is now online, just drop in the main php file. 

Scott

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
My fault, I missed that one!  It's been corrected in the archive as of now!   #-o

Scott

Naw - you just deliberately left it that way so I'd have something to find... Tank U!   :lol:
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »
Re-Released with fixes:

I found a validation error that I've now fixed and added in the center code for those that have wide display (I can't test this one so someone will need to tell me if it's ok).  I also fixed the footnote! 

It's OK, Scott.  I downloaded the new release and the wide alignment is good.  Thanks!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
You do need to go in and edit it or use the config file with it.  I don't normally put the config file in the archive because it is a requirement of version 6 to have that installed already.  Send me an email with your email and I'll send you a copy.  If you haven't done a lot of custom mods on your site, it's pretty easy to setup.

Scott
Hi Scott

Did you get my email I can send again if you didnt?

Thanks

Thanks Andy
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:24:44 AM »
Updated version posted, Scott. Looks good so far. Will know more tomorrow when it's 'day'.
John
W7JKG

Offline jdee

• Mayo Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 07:23:25 AM »
Thank you Scott - all sorted and working as advertised - Brillant!

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:36:22 AM »
Hmmmm  8-)

Scott

Naw - you just deliberately left it that way so I'd have something to find... Tank U!   :lol:

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
You may need to send again, I didn't receive anything.  Just click the email icon under my name on the left, then you can send me an email directly.  Thanks

Scott
Hi Scott

Did you get my email I can send again if you didnt?

Thanks

Thanks Andy

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:07 AM »
Great!  I think this one might finally be finished!

Scott

Thank you Scott - all sorted and working as advertised - Brillant!

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
You may need to send again, I didn't receive anything.  Just click the email icon under my name on the left, then you can send me an email directly.  Thanks

Hi Scott

Sorry for the trouble I tried emailing you again using the board mesage icon I see no email icons under anyone's name except my own. maybee i need to change a setting in my profile.

Sorry for the trouble

Thanks andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline n3ouc

• Contributor
    • Air Products Campus Weather
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
Hey Scott,
All set up here and everything is working perfectly!
Thank You for a fantastic script...

Take Care,
Mike
Mike Stanton
Air Products Campus Weather

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
All appears to be working as advertised in 'day', Scott.

As always - thanks for you hard work.

Looking forward to the new mobile.
John
W7JKG

Offline Torjan

• regnskvett
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:37 AM »
Hello!
Trying out the new V 6.70
Has got everything working except that the page does not switch over to heat index when it is warm enough.
Shows only the wind chill all the time?  Anybody have an idea.

http://regnskvett.com/index.php?lang=en

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »
Make sure you have the switch temperature in the config file set correctly.  It's set 65F by default.  Also, I noticed that you have a lot of red "X" images at startup.  To fix that make sure that the settings in the config and at the beginning of the main .php file are set.  Remember there are actually 2 programs running!

Scott

Hello!
Trying out the new V 6.70
Has got everything working except that the page does not switch over to heat index when it is warm enough.
Shows only the wind chill all the time?  Anybody have an idea.

http://regnskvett.com/index.php?lang=en

Offline Torjan

• regnskvett
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
Hi!
Inserted 18.33C instead of 65F. and it worked fine. Has been corrected in some of the paths clean up the red X. Taking little by little.
Must be out enjoying the weather there is a long time since it was such temperatures here with us.

Thank you scott.

Torjan

anything