Author Topic: wview + Carterlake + Ajax?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
    • http://www.wmiler.org/
wview + Carterlake + Ajax?
« on: December 26, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »
In the spirit of newness, I'm thinking about changing my weather site a bit, and wondered if anybody had modified Ken's (Saratoga) and Carterlake's web templates to work with wview, and if so, how hard was it to do?

Offline windy

• Grahams Beach Weather
Re: wview + Carterlake + Ajax?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »
what PC type do you use?
as WD now has a new update that is like the windows version for Linux or the Mac, and has all the custom tags available that windows version has, and produces the clientraw files that are needed for the carterlake and ajax web templates (which were developed for the WD software)
if you are interested

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:27:04 PM »
I have wview running on an old G4 PPC Mac running OSX 10.4.x.
I suppose I can get wview to generate a clientraw file, but not knowing anything about that file, I'm at a bit of a loss :)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:10:17 AM »
As they currently stand the Carterlake/AJAX templates are (as you say) really set for using Weather-Display for routine uploads (many of the pages have embedded %wdtags% which are substituted by WD for weather variables upon upload).

The clientraw.txt produced by WD is the key file for the AJAX updates as windy said.

The AJAX script now comes in two flavors, one for Weather-Display (using clientraw.txt) ajaxWDwx.js and one for VWS using the VWS WeatherFlash wflash.txt/wflash2.txt files (ajaxVWSwxf.js).  With a bit of coding, either script could be adapted to fetch a flat-file (either space, comma or tab-delimited) routinely from your website and modify <span class="ajax" id="ajax...."></span> tags on your webpage.  AFAIK, there's no built-in flat-file in wview that's uploaded with the rapidity of clientraw.txt (WD) or WeatherFlash (VWS) .. both offer 5-second or less updates, so you'd need to set up a flat-file layout with the weather variables you want to "ajax", and adjust the code of one or the other AJAX script to use the matching offsets for the variables you want.

I wish you great success with your coding project!

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 02:48:06 AM »
As they currently stand the Carterlake/AJAX templates are (as you say) really set for using Weather-Display for routine uploads (many of the pages have embedded %wdtags% which are substituted by WD for weather variables upon upload).

Hmm, knowing the way wview operates, I should be able to just change the %wdtags% to the wview format tags and have it work (for non-AJAX operation).

The clientraw.txt produced by WD is the key file for the AJAX updates as windy said.

The AJAX script now comes in two flavors, one for Weather-Display (using clientraw.txt) ajaxWDwx.js and one for VWS using the VWS WeatherFlash wflash.txt/wflash2.txt files (ajaxVWSwxf.js).  With a bit of coding, either script could be adapted to fetch a flat-file (either space, comma or tab-delimited) routinely from your website and modify <span class="ajax" id="ajax...."></span> tags on your webpage.  AFAIK, there's no built-in flat-file in wview that's uploaded with the rapidity of clientraw.txt (WD) or WeatherFlash (VWS) .. both offer 5-second or less updates, so you'd need to set up a flat-file layout with the weather variables you want to "ajax", and adjust the code of one or the other AJAX script to use the matching offsets for the variables you want.

The fastest wview can generate it's flatfile is every 10 seconds, and is of the following variety:
Code: [Select]
--Timestamp--- Temp Chill HIndex Humid Dewpt Wind HiWind WindDir Rain Barom Solar ET UV
-------------- ---- ----- ------ ----- ----- ---- ------ ------- ---- ----- ----- -- --
20070101 00:10 69.9 69.9 69.9 89 66.5 0 1 135 0.00 30.161 0 0.000 0

I wish you great success with your coding project!

Best regards,
Ken
Gee, thanks :) It'll be a totally new experience, never played with ajax before.

anything