Author Topic: Best station for connecting to wunderground  (Read 10379 times)

Offline soxfan2k4

Best station for connecting to wunderground
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »
I've got a $90 Accurite unit right now that doesnt have a pc connection, and want to upgrade.  I'm torn between the Oregon Scientific WMR200 and the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Discuss pros and cons of each, pls

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Best station for connecting to wunderground
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
    I can only relate my experience with my Davis 6152 wireless VP2.  It is accurrate, sturdy (survived major hailstorm this summer), and has run flawlessly for 2 years.  I could not be happier with my choice.  I added the Solar sensor this last summer. I would have gotten it included on the station but could not afford it at the time.  If you do choose a VP2, get one with the solar (and UV if wanted) included.  It is cheaper. I thought I would need to get the FARS kit as an add-on but my temp/hum readings are right on without it so I did save that money. I used Virtual Weather Station to get on WU. It was simple and only took a couple minutes.
   Good luck with your choice.  I am sure you will enjoy what ever you get that fits your needs.
    Mark
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:36:40 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »
I've got a $90 Accurite unit right now that doesnt have a pc connection, and want to upgrade.  I'm torn between the Oregon Scientific WMR200 and the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Discuss pros and cons of each, pls

I can't address the WMR200.  You should do a search on it here and see what other people think and what problems they have had or haven't had.

I can address OS customer service (I have a WMR968).  It's sad.

I do have a VP2.  It is excellent.  The transmission range is much better, there are more available accessories, and the customer service is top-notch.

The only gripe I have is the extra you have to spend for the data logger.  However, there are some here working on a non-logger-type connection.

Good luck!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Personal experience only here...

My first PWS of any kind was (is) a Davis Vue with a USB logger.  It seems that this setup is the tipping point for most.  The techies and hackers like to move to something higher up (Pro2) while the backyard enthusiasts may not want to spend quite as much as you do for the Vue.  The software for Davis is essentially the same (except perhaps for the "IP" version) and it was not too difficult to set up for Wunderground.  It also was quite easy to get my own website set up and then to later join CWOP.  The Davis (Vue) can be quite a distance from the console without difficulty, but USB limits your distance between console and PC (or router with "IP" version) unless you get creative or opt for the "serial" version.

My latest PWS is a LaCrosse 2813 completely wireless system.  I got it at Costco for $80 as a gift for my father-in-law who enjoys checking MY weather station online, but would never imagine setting one up himself (150 miles away).  The setup was a snap, and with the addition of WUHU software it was even easier to get on Wunderground than the Davis.  Drawback is the performance of the wireless system.  Short distance, line-of-sight only from wind and rain gauges to temp-station, from temp to console and from console to USB transceiver.

No personal experience, but there are threads on this forum about the newest Acu-Rite that has a provision to upload to WU, but seems otherwise limited options beyond it's own mybackyardweather application at this time.  It seems like it would be easy to set up however, and is priced somewhere between the LaCrosse and Davis units I mentioned.

In addition to the points above, you may consider how much further you want to take your online weather experience than Wunderground, such as CWOP or your own website.  There are many versatile software packages out there that perform better on certain PWS ystems/platforms than others.

Whatever you decide, please return to this forum to share your choice and how you came to it.  It will help the next person with the same question.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Faceng Ret

• West Melbourne, Florida Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
Two years ago I too was torn on whether to spend the money on the Davis or get the WMR200. I got the OS unit and set it up through a NSLU2 running meteohub. It works well other than it was tough for me to site things where I wanted to and still maintain a consistent signal to the console. I liked the idea of having multiple temperature and humidity sensors at a reasonable price. I soon learned that the unit dictated where I could place the sensors. Three rooms away and the signal was frequently lost.
I upgraded my meteohub to an Iomega Iconnect a couple weeks ago and then decided to upgrade to the VP2 which should arrive on 11/2. I am hoping that I can now site things where I want to instead of where the unit dictates.
I also use Weather Display, but I pull the data from the meteohub through my network since I found getting the data from the WMR200 logger unreliable. The meteohub, which the WMR200 is connected to, feeds my data to WU. I have no experience with the Davis yet, but I have a feeling that if I had it to do over, I would skip the time spent with the WMR200.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:38:13 AM »
Here in the UK my experience with after sales customer service has been the reverse of Slow Modem. Davis were rubbish, whilst Oregon Scientific were brilliant. "My" experience with Davis is well documented on the forum.

I have used a Vue and both OS 100 and 200 to connect to Wunderground, all three have worked perfectly with Virtual Weather Station software.

Alan.
Alan

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »
Well I have both the Vantage Pro2 and a WMR100. My opinion like anyone else, if your budget will alow it get the Davis Vantage Pro2 and save your self the headachs. I have had my WMR100 for going on 4 years. Console needs to be replaced but supprizingly still working. The sensors are all working. The UV sensor goes out sometimes.

The Vantage Pro2 however I find is a better deal. If your looking for accuracy, durrability, reliability, at a lower price and arn't really looking to add anything to it Davis has their Vantage Vue. Just keep in mind, you stated your looking to connect your station to Wunderground? PC interface on Davis stations is an extra and is not included and runs for about 160$. Comes in both USB and serial versions.

Most will tell you the USB version is a toy. I've found if your console if located close to the computer, you can coil the cable up and the problems seem to dissapear.

The WMR200 sells for the same as the Vue about 315$. The WMR200 includes PC interface but can be more trublesome to work with. Many WMR200 users eventually switched to a Davis after having issues. Just wanted to give a heads up.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
    I have used the USB version of WL from the beginning and I have not had one single problem with it.  I have done nothing with the cord or anything else.  It could not work better.  My console is less than 2 feet from my computer.

Most will tell you the USB version is a toy. I've found if your console if located close to the computer, you can coil the cable up and the problems seem to dissapear.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
I have the WMR200 and the WMR100.  I like the low cost sensors.  In my case I really need multiple indoor temp sensors so that and cost drove me toward OS.  After lots of growing pains I mostly have the equipment running well.  Right now my biggest problem is not with the OS hardware but the laptops that run my Massanutten station.  I started using laptops because of the long battery life that would help ride out power outages.  Alas, once they go down, I have to be on site to power them up.  They will be replaced with small footprint desktops.

Having said all of that, when budget permits, I'm upgrading to Davis.  If I had to do it all over, I would start with Davis and get a WMR200 console on eBay and a couple of indoor sensors for temp monitoring.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline soxfan2k4

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:18 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  The upload doesnt necessarily have to be to WU; it was just one I threw out there.  I'm still on the fence about the two.  I'm attracted to the price of the OS, but now reading all these replies, I'm hesitant to get it.  Budget is big for me.  I'd like to keep it under $300, which I know reduces my options.

Someone had mentioned the Lacrosse 2813.  I'm going to look into that as well

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 06:04:37 AM »
There is also the Fine Offset line. The members on here using them haven't complained about them nearly as much as all the other type wx stations owners have so they appear to be performing well. Ambient carries some under their name   http://www.ambientweather.com/amws2080.html  such as the WS-2080 for one.  Within the budget, computer interface for uploading, etc.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:14:44 AM by DanS »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  The upload doesnt necessarily have to be to WU; it was just one I threw out there.  I'm still on the fence about the two.  I'm attracted to the price of the OS, but now reading all these replies, I'm hesitant to get it.  Budget is big for me.  I'd like to keep it under $300, which I know reduces my options.

Someone had mentioned the Lacrosse 2813.  I'm going to look into that as well
I've dealt with Lacrosse too. They're even worse than Oregon Scientitfic. My oldest OS model had lived for 5 years while the Lacrosse stations barely made it past 1 year. And the thing is, all lacrosse models I had basically the sensors and the console/reciever failed at the same time.

Seems like a coinsidence but it was as if the Lacrosse stations were designed to fail on purpose. Right now I've got a WS1910-U-IT. I'm always losing the wind speed on it. Even when everything else is transmitting.

The wind sensor plugs into the temperature and humidity unit so it shouldn't blank out. But it does. And after inspection of the cable everything was in pristine condition so it has no reason to blank out. At least with Oregon Scientific you just have headachs. With Lacrosse you have the risk of insanity.

Lacrosse will drive you nuts. I can't speak for their customer support. But from what I heard their customer support is rude and arrogent.
But that's not my experience.

I've heard those Ambient Weather stations are pretty good And at good price too.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything