Author Topic: 6382 ISS swap?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
6382 ISS swap?
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »
Howdy. I moved my weather station several weeks ago to a car wash. The management and I are good friends and since I can't have the weather station at my apartment they agreed to host it.

Being at a car wash which is a typical commercial building in a moderatly developed area I'm not able to get adequate siting. Currently I have the wind solar and the 6382 on the roof and the ISS at ground level behind the building.

I noticed the 6382 uses the same board as the SIM so I'm wondering if I might be able to connect the wind solar rain and UV to this and have the console listening to it as the ISS and have the current ISS as the temperature and humidity station with a decommissioned rain gauge? I'm planning on buying the stand alone rain gauge with 40' cable from Scaled Instruments so I can separate it.

I'm wanting to have the stuff up on the roof. My ISS isn't getting good data where it is. Even though roofs aren't ideal for weather stations, I have several advantages by doing this. The roof is sealed with white rubber that doesn't cause major thermal issues. There is also a boxes in area up there that would serve be a perfect place for the rain gauge. Trying to determine the best way to do this.

Thanks.

I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: 6382 ISS swap?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
Not to take a sale away from Ryan, but I'd scrub the Davis bucket and get the Rainwise 111. It hooks and reports exactly the same to the ISS and has proven accuracy. Myself and several others use this method.
As far as the ISS on the roof of a car wash, I'm wondering how badly skewed the dew point might get "during a wash".

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
Good to know! Thanks.

Not much to worry about humidity from the car wash. The wind would only push that air back in the tunnel and out the other end away from the weather stuff. So far it's never been an issue.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »
Not to take a sale away from Ryan, but I'd scrub the Davis bucket and get the Rainwise 111. It hooks and reports exactly the same to the ISS and has proven accuracy. Myself and several others use this method.
As far as the ISS on the roof of a car wash, I'm wondering how badly skewed the dew point might get "during a wash".
I took your advice and pulled the trigger on a Rainwise 111. Used on Ebay for 40$ without the little counter. Should arrive on Monday. Looking forward to hooking everything up. I'll keep everyone posted on how everything goes.

Thanks.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
Very good. Hopefully, with only one moving part, it'll work fine.  :-)

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
Got the rain gauge today. I had to do some splicing. The Rainwise rain gauge uses an IP65-4 connector instead of the RJ11 the Davis takes. Wasn't hard to splice and seal. I plugged it into the transmitter and tested it out on my console by flipping the tipper in the gauge. Everything works! Now to mount it. The rain gauge will be installed in an sheltered area on the roof. The walls around the area are 6-7' so I'm going to try and shoot for 4-5' above the surface. I'm thinking about mounting it on a old chemical drum that's been cleaned. Being a car wash they usually have a few laying around. Hopefully sometime this week we can get it mounted.

Eventually I'm going to purchase a new 6382 enclosure and shield mounting bracket from Scaled Instruments and turn my old ISS SIM into a 6382.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
Got everything installed and hooked up today in time for the rain from Hurricane Willa. Everything works great! My rainfall matches area averages. Everything works great!

I am a storm chaser.