Author Topic: OS WMR100N.. Not so bad as everybody says.  (Read 8172 times)

Offline thelost

OS WMR100N.. Not so bad as everybody says.
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:17:24 PM »
Long time lurker... first time poster..  but i thought I’d give my quick review of the Oregon Scientific WMR100N I’ve been playing with for the past month.

My requirements for a weather station are simple: 
* It needed to connect to a dedicated server in my basement.
* Parts should be easy to find (solar panels, UV, and replacement parts).
* The communication protocol (API) needed to be semi documented

Since it sits in a server closet in my basement i didn't want to pay extra for a fancy base unit.  Also, the built in USB connector is a HUGE plus for me (Correct me if I’m wrong but you pay extra for that on the Davis units).  And you can pick up spare sensors/parts of the WMR 100/200/90 on ebay for cheap.  I paid $145 for a new WMR100N...  $$$$ less than the Davis units.

First let me say that while I like the WMR100N, i can see why people hate it.  Out of the box my temp/humidity sensor wouldn't work.  It’s a VERY common problem... The plastic in the battery tray is too think and stops the battery from touching one of the connectors. It’s easy to fix by pushing something small and thin behind the connector so it makes contact with the battery, but poor design in the first place!!  Second, the base station  UI is awful.  The iPod like scroll wheel is confusing and the information on the screen (IMHO) isn't well thought out.  But, since i never look at the screen it’s a non-issue for me.

Now the plus side..  It was cheap! The wireless range is great for my needs. With the base unit in the rafters of my basement I can place a sensor anywhere in my yard and get a signal (farthest sensor is ~150ft).  The USB interface has been rock solid,   I haven’t had to reset the base unit yet (4 weeks).    With a little tweaking (home built Stevenson screen) the sensors seem very accurate and mirror other local stations.

I wrote my own software that reads the USB data so I can’t really comment on the other options available.  I played with a few and they all seem to work well (just stay away from the Oregon Scientific software).     

Sooo.. to sum up:  If you like to tinker, only care about PC connectivity and are willing to spend some extra time in setup….  (and are cheap like me!).   You may want to take a look at the WMR100N.   

~Brian (flame suit on!)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: OS WMR100N.. Not so bad as everybody says.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
it is prone to the console needing to be reset every month or so, to get data flowing to the PC again
also people have problems with the wireless reception, especialy from the rain gauge
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
Brian,
   It's good to have you out of the shadows and into the light =D>!  I am always glad to hear that someone is happy with the station they have bought, especially if it's one that has had numerous problems reported by others.  I hope your station continues on for as long as you need it, or until you have the need to upgrade.  I didn't really dislike my OS WMR968 that I had for a year.  Just had humidity problems from the start ](*,) ](*,).  I rarely had any dropouts and when I did they were only for a minute or so.  I just couldn't get my readings into the range of accurracy that I wanted.  So I upgraded to the Davis. 
   Good luck with your station and keep us informed on your progress.
      Mark

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »
I have a WMR100b. Right out of the box, the rain gauge didn't work.

Now, after about a year and a half, the temp values are always high, the humidity drifts sometimes, and it sometimes takes forever to establish communications with the barometer.

I guess for the money it was ok, but I just need something more reliable.

My new Davis Vantage Vue goes up on the pole this afternoon!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »
I started with a WMR968 and learned alot about what I wanted to do. The built in serial port was nice ....BUT.....the sensors breaking off at the swivel and the mass of cables from each sensor...I moved on to the Davis VVPro 2. I did love the touch screen on the WMR968 console but the look of the Davis and talk on an ex-forum got me into buying it.

Hey Daculaweather....congrats on the Vue purchase....let us all know how it is working out for you once you get some data streaming.

Offline thelost

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »
it is prone to the console needing to be reset every month or so, to get data flowing to the PC again
also people have problems with the wireless reception, especialy from the rain gauge

What software are/where you using?   I wonder if they aren’t handling USB errors correctly.

I have a VM (Virtualized Server) running Windows Server 2003 dedicated to nothing but logging data from the USB port.  I have a windows service running on that server that captures the raw USB data, converts it to real numbers, then saves it to a database.   I noticed after a long period of time (a few days) the console would stop sending data.. Sending a 'ping/message' back to the console every 30 minutes has seemed to solve the problem.  I also have code in that will try to reset the USB connection if it doesn't see any data within 3 minutes... but as of yet it hasn't been triggered.  (Its only been 4 weeks so time will tell how long it will work  :-) )

The Davis systems are nice...  but to charge $165 for the USB port 'add-on'?!?!?! I paid $145 for an entire system that INCLUDED usb connectivity.   It’s a niche market and people will pay what they want. 

Offline thelost

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »
as of right now.. my station is showing:

62.1 deg F, 7.16mph winds, 35% humidity, Barometer 29.72" and a 34.1 deg F dewpoint.

A Vantage Pro2 a block from my house is showing (on Wunderground):
61.7 deg F, 10mph winds, 33% humidity, Barometer 29.64 and a dewpoint of 33 deg F.

Close enough for me!   :lol:

(note:  The Barometer numbers out of the WMR100N base are set to sea level.  Im computing the adjusted pressure based on my altitude (5075ft ASL).  Im using a very standard/basic formula to compute dewpoint.. I've seen some examples of making it more accurate but what i have is good enough for me)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »
even unplugging the usb port and restarting the PC will not clear up the wmr100 when it stops sending data
its a intermittant hardware fault that needs a reset of the wmr100 console altogether
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »
I have both the Vantage Vue and my WMR100 running side by side now.

Vue Temp: 71 deg Hum 75%
WMR100b: 73 deg Hum 47%

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:40:04 AM »
I have both the Vantage Vue and my WMR100 running side by side now.

Vue Temp: 71 deg Hum 75%
WMR100b: 73 deg Hum 47%

One thing that was concerning me with the Vue is the fact that the rain collector is so close to the humidity sensor. Could this cause high humidity readings?

Just a thought.

Alan.
Alan

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:09 AM »
more of a concern is that idealy the rain should be measured as close to ground level as possible
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 07:27:01 AM »
I still think the Vue was developed as a marine device.

The R&D boys probably developed it for marine use, then the marketing guys saw the price point, and decided to market it as the Davis low cost entry product.  The all in one sensors suite, the water resistant console, they even sell a marine mount.....

Other than the potential siting issues mentioned already.  I see an issue with northern implementations, the "exit" hole for the rain gauge is right above wind direction vane, would not take much for an icicle to form (looks like a half inch gap or less) and stop the vane from turning 360 degrees.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
I'll let you know. Right now, it's a lot more accurate than the WMR100 I still have running.

I wouldn't think that the rain collector drain hole would cause a high humidity reading. If it's raining, everything is wet anyway with water running off the unit.

Right now the Vue is about 8-9 feet off the ground.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 02:05:11 AM »

I wouldn't think that the rain collector drain hole would cause a high humidity reading. If it's raining, everything is wet anyway with water running off the unit.

Agreed, but there are times when some rain can hold in one of the buckets for long periods until there is sufficient to cause a tilt.
Alan