Author Topic: options for wireless windows 7 based weather tracking  (Read 3582 times)

Offline jerelo

options for wireless windows 7 based weather tracking
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »
I'm just beginning to research my options for building a weather station, and I'd like to ask for some comment by people who have experience with the range of systems available.
I am a hobbyist with good computer skills, and I'd like to monitor conditions in the front and back yard of my property. I have a current PC and a wireless N router, so was hoping to find a set of weather sensors that would use this protocol. I would also like to use a PC application to track and review readings. This seems to rule out most of the systems I've browsed, which use their own console. I don't want to invest in a console, just wireless capable sensors and an application to review the data. It would be great to be able to add on sensors later (so a system of independent sensors would be preferred) but for now I want to monitor temperature, solar radiation, humidity, rainfall. Optionally I would be interested in wind speed and direction, barometric pressure. Eventually I also want to hook up some remote webcams to view animals on the property, and although that is probably a seperate topic, it might tie into other capabilities like motion sensors.

Naturally I'm interested in lowest cost, but I value customer support, a history of upgrading software, and modular software design (capable of integrating new sensors) as well.

Let me know what comes to mind!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: options for wireless windows 7 based weather tracking
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
Jerelo,
   I cannot help with your question but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!  I am sure there are more than a few people who will be able to answer your question. 
Good Luck,
    Mark

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
You might check out this product from Davis Instruments it doesn't have a console.

Link: Weather Envoy

Look under the installation option for the package deals on sensor.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:16:05 PM by mmorris »
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:25:04 PM »
You might check out this product from Davis Instruments it doesn't have a console.

Link: Weather Envoy

Look under the installation option for the package deals on sensor.

You would also need to purchase the WeatherLink Data Logger and Software package as that is not included this hook the Envoy to the computer.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510SER This one is for serial input

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510USB This one is for USB input
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:34:59 PM by mmorris »
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »
I read this as a request for WiFi protocol sensors. If I'm not wrong, this will do it for you: http://www.pointsix.com/
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jerelo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »
Many thanks for the two recommendations. I'll be researching more about both the Davis and the Point Six systems. The Point Six sensors are indeed closer to what I'm looking for (but software support would be technically demanding given that it's meant to work with an MS-SQL database). The Davis equipment is wireless yes, but still uses a base station to receive and store the data before transmitting it via usb.

Wouldn't it be convenient to have the Davis weather station transmit directly to a Wifi router, and be configurable to send packets to the PC's IP address where software would handle display and storage. And if it worked with wireless N, range would be better than the g (davis) and b (point 6) protocols.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:21 AM »
You mean MS SQL or My SQL?  Aren't they both free?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
While linking to WiFi would be nice, VPro2 has up to a 1000 ft range. This adds flexibility in placing the ISS. I have one at work that is approx about 175 ft from the Envoy receiver and the signal makes it through several walls with no problems. I dont think N would do as well and I am sure that b\g would not work at all in this set up. While the point six looks great I didnt see anything for wind speed\direction or rain.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:33:56 PM »
The Point 6 counter module can be hooked up to a tipping bucket.   No idea on rain though. 

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »
The point six has the ability to kinda "roll your own" in what type of data you want to capture. As for software, well sounds like you will need to develop that too.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
The 1-Wire SW (freely available) works with P6

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
I really want to know if anybody is also using the "Cryogenic Chamber" :shock: option from the pointsix website....  Antarctic weather anyone :-P

anything