Author Topic: IP-100 and the 418MHz Mark III  (Read 3223 times)

Offline WVZR-1

IP-100 and the 418MHz Mark III
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »
Anyone using the IP-100 and the 418MHz Mark III? Mine should arrive likely tomorrow and I was interested in maybe some advance install tips or possible issues. My 418 MHz system is "new out of box" but was assembled in '04. It's presently on an 8ft mast at ground level until it's "road-tested" for maybe a few weeks. I couldn't find a 5AH battery in the vicinity so I just had Richie send one with the IP-100 purchase.

I had seen a previous discussion where CWOP was mentioned as a "non available" direct connect out of the box. I didn't see the discussion completed with a definitive yes or no. I didn't ask Richie in our exchange of emails. Does it?

I have a Davis VP2 also that is transmitting from a MeteoHub that I've become more familiar with. Is the experience going to be similar? Preferred?

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: IP-100 and the 418MHz Mark III
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:32:33 PM »
Anyone using the IP-100 and the 418MHz Mark III? Mine should arrive likely tomorrow and I was interested in maybe some advance install tips or possible issues. My 418 MHz system is "new out of box" but was assembled in '04. It's presently on an 8ft mast at ground level until it's "road-tested" for maybe a few weeks. I couldn't find a 5AH battery in the vicinity so I just had Richie send one with the IP-100 purchase.

I had seen a previous discussion where CWOP was mentioned as a "non available" direct connect out of the box. I didn't see the discussion completed with a definitive yes or no. I didn't ask Richie in our exchange of emails. Does it?

I have a Davis VP2 also that is transmitting from a MeteoHub that I've become more familiar with. Is the experience going to be similar? Preferred?

I am. I thought I had the 433 mhz but it's actually 418 after I checked it.

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »
Hello Don,

Thanks. Do you have any issues with CWOP or don't do CWOP? The way that I understand the 418/433MHz systems with IP-100 require a receiver that's "intermediate" in the chain. The LR I believe doesn't require a receiver. Do I understand this correctly? That would indicate maybe that there's a receiver of course for the Oracle and then another for the IP-100? I've seen you mention a couple times you were quite happy with yours.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »
   The IP-100 LR has a 2.4ghz Xbee module built in for reception, the 418 MHz version uses a small external receiver that plugs into the IP-100, the IP-100 will itself only send data to Weather Underground but using the rainwisenet service provided by Rainwise  you can send the data to AWEKAS, PWS weather,Weatherflow and Met Office.
   Using 3rd party software like Weather Display you can send the data to many different sites including CWOP.

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
   The IP-100 LR has a 2.4ghz Xbee module built in for reception, the 418 MHz version uses a small external receiver that plugs into the IP-100, the IP-100 will itself only send data to Weather Underground but using the rainwisenet service provided by Rainwise  you can send the data to AWEKAS, PWS weather,Weatherflow and Met Office.
   Using 3rd party software like Weather Display you can send the data to many different sites including CWOP.

Thank you. I received a receiver for the IP-100 along with my IP-100 so that aspect is fine. The Mark III doesn't appear to be transmitting according to the diagnostic mode on the Oracle. I've no idea of the situation. The battery is new from RainWise and I've got 6.42V at the battery with 6.34 - 6.38V at the battery connection to the board. From there I'm not familiar with the diagnostics so I'll wait.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »

You'll need more than 3rd party software to send your data anywhere if the IP-100 is all you have.  To use the 3rd party software (WV32) you need the Rainwise data logger also.

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »

You'll need more than 3rd party software to send your data anywhere if the IP-100 is all you have.  To use the 3rd party software (WV32) you need the Rainwise data logger also.

That doesn't surprise me BUT would you mind maybe an explanation substantiating your comment? I'm quite new and just looking for some help. I've tried to share exactly what I've got for equipment, if I need to explain further I certainly don't mind. I had seen some comments from you in previous posts and it seemed you were generally more helpful. I'm interested in what I mentioned in the earlier post where I mentioned CWOP.

Would you mind sharing maybe the connection progression involved. I'll look into the WV32. Is the WV32 the only solution, a preferred solution, the least expensive OR ...

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »

That doesn't surprise me BUT would you mind maybe an explanation substantiating your comment? I'm quite new and just looking for some help. I've tried to share exactly what I've got for equipment, if I need to explain further I certainly don't mind. I had seen some comments from you in previous posts and it seemed you were generally more helpful. I'm interested in what I mentioned in the earlier post where I mentioned CWOP.

Would you mind sharing maybe the connection progression involved. I'll look into the WV32. Is the WV32 the only solution, a preferred solution, the least expensive OR ...

You can find the data logger at the Rainwise site.  I believe there is a long range model and a regular Mhz 418.  Basically the data logger has its own receiver (small black box) much like the IP-100.  What this does is make the data available in your PC to whatever software you want to use.  I have used WV32 and its fairly straight forward and easy to use.

http://www.rainwise.com/products/index.php?Category=MK-III_Weather_Stations:Computer_Interface

http://www.weatherview32.com/

I did note in one of your earlier posts..."The Mark III doesn't appear to be transmitting according to the diagnostic mode on the Oracle."

You'll want to get that checked before you go and buy a data logger.  Assembled in 04 sounds used to me.  Did you toggle the on/off switch on the unit itself.  Some of the older units had a pull pin I believe.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:23:29 PM by VaJim »

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 07:49:22 PM »
Mine does have the magnetic pin switch and it shows to be functional. Pin inserted (ON) I have resistance, pin removed (OFF) I have no continuity. IT's been on a shelf since the original purchase and never out of the box. I have 2 Oracles also with it, everything was in a single RainWise  box. Battery was date coded 11/04 and still had 5.3V I believe when I checked it. I mentioned that earlier in a different post.

Just another "bump in the road" I guess.

I believe I have a better grip on the required hardware/software required for transmission to CWOP etc.

I have a VP2 with a MeteoHub also - I'm looking forward to running these pretty much side by side for a while. Likely until next Spring for sure.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:52:24 PM by WVZR-1 »

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »
you do not need the data logger, weather display will pull the data from the IP-100's built in webpage, my IP-100 was used as the test unit when Brian was adding the code to weather display to make it work.

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »
you do not need the data logger, weather display will pull the data from the IP-100's built in webpage, my IP-100 was used as the test unit when Brian was adding the code to weather display to make it work.

Hello Kevin,

I believe I found your thread on the WD Support Forum regarding your work with Brian and the IP-100. Once I have the Mark III working and can move on to the IP-100 functions I may ask some further help. Your work was rather recent with Brian (end of 11/14) so I understand how Jim might not be  aware of the capability.

I appreciate "everyone's" help.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 05:42:14 AM »
Jim was talking about using 3rd party software.  Something the IP-100 can not do...?  Wasn't that the main idea behind the IP-100?  Get your data to the net without a PC?

I use the IP-100 to feed WU...that's it.  Years ago I used WV32 with a data logger. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:02:40 AM by VaJim »

anything