Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro2 - Computer Interface  (Read 2368 times)

Offline W4IOW

Davis Vantage Pro2 - Computer Interface
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
I am in the process of purchasing 6 Vantage PRO2 stations. One station will be place at each of the County's fire stations. My questions for the group are:

1. Is the 6510USB interface along with WUHU software a reliable method of getting real-time weather data to Weather Underground? I would like to hear about issues you have had, as well as those who have found it a reliable set up. How difficult is it to set up?

2. If you use the WeatherLink IP interface to upload data, what are the pros/cons for this device? Also if you have used both the 6510USB and the WeatherLink IP which is your preferred way to get data to the web; specifically to Weather Underground?

Thank you for any advice or assistance you can provide to me. Please feel free to email me directly at W4IOW@arrl.net

I look forward to reading the posts.
Ray
W4IOW
Isle of Wight County, VA

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 - Computer Interface
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
I've too have the USB version. WUHU is a great program, but I perfer Cumulus. Like WUHU it's free and totally compatible with the Vantage Pro2. And has uploads for Wunderground, CWOP, PWS Weather, WeatherBug, and I think AWEKAS. I've got both WUHU and Cumulus on my computer and I like Cumulus alot better.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
Cumulus is actually donationware.  If you use it, kick  a few bucks to the developer.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
Your county has an excellent web site.

For your situation, I suggest that you post the weather data from each of the stations on that web site.  The USB interface will be fine.  For your situation, I would not consider the WeatherLinkIP to be necessary or desirable.

Regarding software, WeatherLink would be just fine.  However, I suggest that you get your county's IT department involved in the decisions of interface and software (unless of course the your department and IT don't get along).

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
I am in the process of purchasing 6 Vantage PRO2 stations. One station will be place at each of the County's fire stations. My questions for the group are:

1. Is the 6510USB interface along with WUHU software a reliable method of getting real-time weather data to Weather Underground? I would like to hear about issues you have had, as well as those who have found it a reliable set up. How difficult is it to set up?

I use WUHU for all three of my stations (VP2, WMR968 and WS-2315) (but I use a serial data logger) and have never had a bit of trouble.  You can upload every five minutes or rapidfire.  The software author reads this forum and I have always thought he was very timely in responses for hellp or revisions.  You can also visit the WUHU group on yahoo.com for the software and the forum there.

Good Luck!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA