Author Topic: Want to create a site...  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Want to create a site...
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
Which 5in1 model do you have?

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:39 PM »
I think i'm going to try WD for now and look into meteobridge. I'm just going to test running it on my laptop. Is it possible to later run it on a different PC and still have it work with wesbite?

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
Let me check what model...

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
This is more difficult if you hane experience with linux or a mac, but it supports your station
http://www.weewx.com/hardware.html
Wim

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 04:01:23 PM »
Which 5in1 model do you have?
I have the 01054

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
I want to use Kevin Keys scraper software with WD but it only allows it to look at one file at a time I think. How do I use this thing lol

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
This is more difficult if you hane experience with linux or a mac, but it supports your station
Wim

http://www.weewx.com/docs/usersguide.htm
Are you sure? I dont see his model on the list

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »
Wim

http://www.weewx.com/docs/usersguide.htm
Are you sure? I dont see his model on the list
Check my link, his bridge is on the right. But for the money and the time to learn something (raspberry -weewx) new, i would go with meteobridge now we know he has the internet bridge.
With MB he can then use any template, be it Saratoga, Leuven or yours.

Wim

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
If you have the bridge, here's my solution using a Raspberry Pi and weewx: http://nincehelser.com/ipwx

If you shop right, you can buy all the parts for around $50.  All the software is free.  There's a weewx extension that will generate data for the Saratoga templates, but I haven't messed with that in a couple years.

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
So basically meteobridge would be the best bet?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
If it is supported than in my opinion yes. Meteobridge can do quite a lot and also, it is a tiny device, which makes no noise, has minimum consupmtion and minimum size and you put that router somewhere near your station and dont even know about it and you dont need your entire PC to be online 24/7. Meteboridge supports built-in sending data to many weather networks, supports all the templates and can even be administered remotely from anywhere through a special URL. Ive had it for 3.5 yrs now and dont have a single day when it wouldnt work!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
It depends on what you want.

For around $50 or so, a Raspberry Pi gives you an open and fully functional computer system that can run all the software you need.  Database, web server, PHP, etc.

That's less than the cost of a software license that locks you down to limited hardware.

As an alternative, you could load Linux on an old PC that might cost you nothing!  All you really need is a Linux system with two network interfaces. 

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »
It depends on what you want.

For around $50 or so, a Raspberry Pi gives you an open and fully functional computer system that can run all the software you need.  Database, web server, PHP, etc.

That's less than the cost of a software license that locks you down to limited hardware.

As an alternative, you could load Linux on an old PC that might cost you nothing!  All you really need is a Linux system with two network interfaces.

I've decided I'm just going to test out weather display with Kevin Key's bridge reader. Hopefully it works!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
Please avoid the scraper.  The AcuLink servers seem under enough load pressure as it is.

He has a version that reads the bridge directly.  Again, you need a Windows machine with two network interfaces, though.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »
Yes Raspberry is a great thing too, just I think it is not so user-friendly, with meteobridge you dont have to have a clue what is going on, just set up everything through a GUI.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
Yes Raspberry is a great thing too, just I think it is not so user-friendly, with meteobridge you dont have to have a clue what is going on, just set up everything through a GUI.

Have you set up a Pi recently with NOOBS?  Just copy the files to a fresh SD card and boot!

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »
Please avoid the scraper.  The AcuLink servers seem under enough load pressure as it is.

He has a version that reads the bridge directly.  Again, you need a Windows machine with two network interfaces, though.
Im using the bridge reader not the scraper :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
Yes, you might be right, either way, Meteobridge is really simple to set up, supports many weather networks, is regularly updated, remotely accessible, supports broad range of HWs, supports HTTP requests, FTP uploads, MySQL uploads etc. etc. so I am by no means saying Raspberry is not good, just that using Meteobridge wont be a bad choice either   ;)

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 05:40:45 PM »
Yes, you might be right, either way, Meteobridge is really simple to set up, supports many weather networks, is regularly updated, remotely accessible, supports broad range of HWs, supports HTTP requests, FTP uploads, MySQL uploads etc. etc. so I am by no means saying Raspberry is not good, just that using Meteobridge wont be a bad choice either   ;)
Now for meteo bridge you need the software and hardware?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »
Yes, obviously if you dont want your pc online 24/7 you still need "something" that will take the data from your station and upload it on the web. Meteobridge supports several small cheap routers, where you flash the firmware with meteobridge and you are done. And there is a 14 day free period so that you can make sure it works fine and only then you buy the license for meteobridge, which isnt that much and is life-time.

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
Yes, obviously if you dont want your pc online 24/7 you still need "something" that will take the data from your station and upload it on the web. Meteobridge supports several small cheap routers, where you flash the firmware with meteobridge and you are done. And there is a 14 day free period so that you can make sure it works fine and only then you buy the license for meteobridge, which isnt that much and is life-time.
About how much are these routers and how difficult is it to add meteobridge to it?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »
Here are the routers:
http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

And here you can see what the GUI then looks like:
http://config.meteobridge.com/?page=2&session=sA8Kur

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
About how much are these routers and how difficult is it to add meteobridge to it?

Depends which one you choose, but remember that you save quite some cash also on the possibility of not having to have your PC on, these routers have negligible energy consumption, make absolutely no noise and are as big as a palm of your hand....
There is a detailed documentation as to how to flash meteobridge firmware for each of the routers and it is really easy and matter of a few minutes. You replace the original firmware with meteobridge, connect ethernet to your modem to set up wifi and you are done

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
Thank you! This will work with the templates you sent me earlier right? I saw that they had a meteobridge template but don't know how it would work.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
Meteobridge supports HTTP requests as well as FTP uploads of current conditions so it will work with Kens and my template for sure and I think basically any template.

anything