Author Topic: WeatherLink USB connected to wireless adapter?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline rpreichard

WeatherLink USB connected to wireless adapter?
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
My Vantage Vue console is in a spot where I have neither a computer or Cat5 cabling.  Has anyone connected a wireless adapter to either the USB or Serial unit for data gathering?  What about WeatherLinkIP using a Cat5 to wireless adapter.  Any other options that I might have available to me?  I want to gather the data and push to a website and would prefer 15 minute or less updates.  I'm new to this and looking for some best practices in lieu of reinventing the wheel.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: WeatherLink USB connected to wireless adapter?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
There are lots of alternatives, and I'm sure that many of them will be suggested here.

But, in my opinion, there are only two "practical" things to trade off:

A.  Run wiring.  Either Cat5 from the console to your router, or serial from the console to a computer. 

B.  Buy an additional Vue console (list roughly $130) to locate either near your router or near your computer.

For many people, B is the choice.

Other alternatives, in my opinion, add complexity without saving appreciable amounts of money.

Offline Vermonter

• Andy
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
My Vue with Weatherlink IP is in a difficult place for hardwired ethernet; I'm not a big fan of powerline ethernet but I got a couple of the units cheap on eBay (used) and since there's not a lot of high speed data, they work just fine.
Andy
Davis Vantage Vue
WeatherLink 5.9.2
 CWOP: DW4518
WU:    KVTWILDE2

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
I tried running a serial Davis WeatherLink over a pair of serial-over-ethernet adapters through a WIFI link 4.2 miles long (amps, gain antennas, good enough to stream audio or YouTube), with WL software, and the results were not satisfactory. WL software apparently does not like connections that are less reliable than solid copper cable, and routinely crashed the computer.

YMMV if your link is closer and more reliable.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:06 AM »
Other alternatives, in my opinion, add complexity without saving appreciable amounts of money.

I'd certainly concur with that - for maximum reliability, keep things as simple as possible. Now that the Vue console is available as a low-cost alternative to the standard VP2 console, users of a Vue or a standard VP2 station have a cost-effective way of getting reception at two distinct local locations.

But this doesn't quite cover all the bases. If you have any supplementary stations (6372/6382/6345) on a VP2 system then a Vue console won't pick these up. And it could be - especially in larger buildings, eg schools, businesses etc - that you can't always get adequate wireless reception at the preferred PC location (ie for the second console).

If you use a serial Weatherlink logger then many different options have been developed over the years for relaying the RS232 data over different wireless and cabled systems. I've looked at quite a few of these over the years (eg device servers to relay the data over a network both cabled and wireless, wireless modems etc etc) and all of them seem to have worked pretty well. Provided the network is purely local then there shouldn't be any significant problems - it's only if you try to move to a wide-area network (ie have some larger distance of several/many miles between console and PC) that timing issues such as latency may start to cause problems.

Choices are a bit more limited with the USB logger but for instance the Silex SX2000 device (I'm sure there are others by different makers) interfaces a USB device to a network. We've had one of these running for a couple of years now, it is capable of both cabled and WiFi network interfacing. We've only had it running in cabled mode but there's no obvious reason why it shouldn't also work perfectly well in wireless mode. In normal routine use this unit has been perfectly reliable and you're simply unaware of its presence, but you do have to remember when powering the system up (eg recovering from a mains outage) that there are extra drivers to be loaded and checked - this is really where the extra complexity comes in and might be a good place to use Softwx's StartWatch to manage the overall startup process.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:23:01 AM »
My Vantage Vue console is in a spot where I have neither a computer or Cat5 cabling. 
... I want to gather the data and push to a website and would prefer 15 minute or less updates. ...

For any more complete speculation, we would need to know:

1.  More about your "home network".  How it's connected to what, how many computers, how you use those computers, etc.

2.  What exactly you want to "push to a website".  Do you have your own website (or plan to have one)?  Or are you referring to one of the public weather web systems, or is Davis' WeatherLink.com being considered?