Author Topic: e-rice down?  (Read 37914 times)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Re: e-rice down?
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
I am a bit concerned about the concurrent ftp connections allowed by a Host. I run WD, a web cam and 3 instances of GR3. I have chatted with Ryan and Tony, both on GoDaddy, and they do not seem to have any problems...Thoughts

Code: [Select]
GoDaddy:
 You can have up to 3 concurrent FTP connections, however only 1 connection per IP. Meaning, if there are 2 people in your office sharing the same IP, only one will be able to connect.
 http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/ftp-connection-limit/

1and1
 You can have up to 3 concurrent SFTP connections at one time.  (also applies to dedicated managed server)
source: 1and1 tech support

Site5: 8 concurrent connections per IP address.
 http://qa.site5.com/ftp/how-many-concurrent-ftp-connections-are-allowed/

HostGator's reselling has a limit of 8 ftp connections from any given IP.
 http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=898532

InMotionHosting.com
 There is a maximum of 8 simultaneous connections.  They recommend setting this at about 5 to ensure that you do not get kicked (off) if your client does not completely close a connection.
source: InMotionHosting tech support

Bluehost: "Maximum number of simultaneous SFTP connections allowed is 8"
 source: Bluehost tech support

Thanks for any thoughts on this, Doug
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:38:44 PM by DougW »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
Hi Doug,

My host ICDsoft.com allows up to 10 concurrent connections.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
I chatted with my host FastWebHost and they are the same way...only 8 simultaneous FTP sessions per IP.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
Anybody having any luck with e-rice today?  I'm not.   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
I was wondering the same thing on how his site was back up so fast. GoDaddy moved me to a new
server a few years ago and changed the DNS and I was down for a day +

I wonder if something like this hasn't happened to e-rice?   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
1 of the 4 erice servers is still working.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »
Any other word on whats going on yet? been down since yesterday. When I got home yesterday, a few of my programs had FTP errors and have been trying all day. So I tried to ftp into my site with wsftp and couldn't connect. Came here to see if others were having issues and guess a lot of us are. Doing what others suggested, waiting to see whats going to happen before I bail out and find another host. Stinks, no one can view my site and other data I have.  :mad:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
One thing I'm confused about is how can you change your name servers to point to your new host when you can't get into your e-rice account to do it?  Or is that something the new host can do?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
name servers to point to your new host

Your domain registrar account is where that happens.
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
My domains were/are purchased thru GoDaddy, my hosting was done by e-rice. So what your saying and I believe I saw those listed in the GoDaddy site in my account that the host names were e-rice so I should be able to move them to a new host using there hosting names within the GoDaddy site , correct?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 08:15:13 PM »
Anybody having any luck with e-rice today?  I'm not.   #-o

I am now dealing with the legal department of softlayer to try and retrieve my data from the e-rice server.... Something is not right with e-rice and I am not sure they will come online soon... Hopefully I am wrong!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
name servers to point to your new host

Your domain registrar account is where that happens.

Okay, found where to do it.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:43:29 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2014, 06:54:08 AM »
Let me pass this on to you folks.... I've given it to one E rice refugee already....
I originally told him I'd been with this host 10 years, but it's actually more like 13:
 I usually do it in 2/3 year blocks, depending on any specials... I've tried a couple of 'cheaper' hosts, with negative overall results and impressions....

http://www.lunarpages.com/hosting/web/basic/linux/pricing
Check the features, etc....then
Reconnect with this link http://www.lunarpages.com/id/geano
which takes you through my affiliation.... which will offer a promo code for 15% off... BUT....
BUT :grin:
Let's see if a "2 years for 1" promo code (BIGCOUNTRY) still works, other-wise use the "AFF15off" to get 15% anyway.
at checkout....

Mike
I had backed up just yesterday.  :-P
Just signed up and waiting for conformation. My erice was going to expire soon anyway. So for the basic it is ~$107 for the 1st year. I put in "BIGCOUNTRY" and the 2nd year is free.
Cave Country Weather is back up and running (mostly) on Lunarpages.  :grin: The stickers in the sig still need some work though.
Erice served me well for 5 years and I wish Allen the best.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:13:11 AM by Dr Obbins »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
I seem to have patched together everything and have it up and running on RogersCityWeather.com at Hosting24. I had to upgrade to a "Gold" package (seems to always happen) to get redirection for SunriseSideWeather.com

That seemed to take effect relatively quickly and I am satisfied with the end results. Now to move on to the email disaster caused by this mess....

I would still like to know what happened...  :?:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
Looks good Greg.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
Folks:
I also noticed on Oct 20th,there was no response from E-rice.net for my emails (Roundcube) plus I can't login to my user account. I just tried again to login and there is no response. My website however continues to work perfectly. I am currently backing up my entire website just in case, this is scary.  :eek:

Hopefully they will get their problem resolved quickly. I am not looking forward to switching web hosts.

I do need to FTP from 3 sources to maintain my web site. Who would be the best low cost web host?

Thanks

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
I'm with you tshattuck, same here and the one that posted the GoDaddy pricing, you ain't kidding, its 50% off right now for the first year, then double.. #-o wow, don't think so. I know there is some nice info here, so I'll ask the question anyways, what is the best route to take for the time being, and cheapest, yet good, to get back on line with the hosting sites out there that were mentioned here? Still waiting it out, unless someone has heard they are done and/or not coming back before making the change, but only til the end of the week.   :roll:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
So far, in shopping around, I'll be switching to KVC Hosting.  It's headquartered in my home state, Oklahoma at Edmond 40 miles away from me. However, not sure if their servers are in Oklahoma.  It offers a good deal at $2.99 a month for three years.  Or only $1.89 a month if 100 mb of space will do. It uses SSD.  It's a rather young company, but is BBB accredited with an A rating and good reviews.  I am awaiting an email answer from their engineer on max number of FTP connections.

http://www.kvcwebhost.com/unlimitedhosting/unlimited-web-hosting.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:03:59 PM by Bunty »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
I'm with you tshattuck, same here and the one that posted the GoDaddy pricing, you ain't kidding, its 50% off right now for the first year, then double.. #-o wow, don't think so. I know there is some nice info here, so I'll ask the question anyways, what is the best route to take for the time being, and cheapest, yet good, to get back on line with the hosting sites out there that were mentioned here? Still waiting it out, unless someone has heard they are done and/or not coming back before making the change, but only til the end of the week.   :roll:
So far, in shopping around, I'll be switching to KVC Hosting.  It's headquartered in my home state, Oklahoma at Edmond.  It offers a good deal at $2.99 a month for three years.  Or only $1.89 a month if 100 mb of space will do. It uses SSD.  It's a rather young company, but is BBB accredited with a A rating and good reviews.

At the risk of criticism, or redundancy, let me again suggest the info in this post I made earlier: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24139.msg231760#msg231760

"Cheaper" ain't always better...
Mike
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:05:16 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »

So far, in shopping around, I'll be switching to KVC Hosting.  It's headquartered in my home state, Oklahoma at Edmond.  It offers a good deal at $2.99 a month for three years.  Or only $1.89 a month if 100 mb of space will do. It uses SSD.  It's a rather young company, but is BBB accredited with a A rating and good reviews.

At the risk of criticism, or redundancy, let me again suggest the info in this post I made earlier: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24139.msg231760#msg231760

"Cheaper" ain't always better...
Mike
Well, in 2009 when I was getting started had I listened to people who said don't go with e-rice, because they're too cheap, I would have missed out having nearly 5 good, cheap years with them.  KVC Hosting hosts over 100,000, so if I choose it, I'll join a big bunch of customers not afraid to take a chance with them.

Offline dengland

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
FWIW - Go Daddy has a 35% off today through Midnight Friday.

I am still sitting on my hands .....

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »
dengland:
I am also sitting on my hands for now. I just performed a complete backup of my website. I am going to give E-rice.net several more days before I bailout. I use Go Daddy for my registered Domain name, I will check them out for hosting.

Thanks

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
Yes, cheapest is not always the best, you get what you pay for, I was merely backing up with what someone stated about pricing for GoDaddy, ya it 50% off right now, so $40 for the first year, but as the gentlemen there stated, after that, it will be back to normal which is $80 a year. Sorry, thats a bit much for me. Also stated I could lock it in for the sale price for several years, if I had $400 to do it. But 80 a year, we can do better for sure if your just a peanut like myself. Others that have a nice, robust weather system, etc can need and go that route. I have been with e-rice for a few years now and never had only one issue and was solved pretty quickly. Sitting on this for a few more days, then its a new start, somewhere. 

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
I got locked on for 2 years at that price and when it expires they will probably have another deal. Just like Comcast as mentioned above.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
So far, in shopping around, I'll be switching to KVC Hosting.  It's headquartered in my home state, Oklahoma at Edmond 40 miles away from me. However, not sure if their servers are in Oklahoma.  It offers a good deal at $2.99 a month for three years.  Or only $1.89 a month if 100 mb of space will do. It uses SSD.  It's a rather young company, but is BBB accredited with an A rating and good reviews.  I am awaiting an email answer from their engineer on max number of FTP connections.

KVC's answer to my question on max number of FTP connections, which was probably less than crystal clear was, "In Unlimited V Hosting you have 100 ftp Accounts."  FTP accounts = FTP connections??  If so, 100 sounds plenty.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:39:08 PM by Bunty »