Author Topic: New Alternative Dashboard Version 7.xx  (Read 7703 times)

Offline BurnsvilleWeather

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
New Alternative Dashboard Version 7.xx
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
I'm still working out all the details on my version 7 beta and would like to get together a list of the things people want to remain, change or new requests.  If you have them, please leave them here.

Scott
www.BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com (Formally Webster Weather LIVE)
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Davis VP2 with, UV, Solar, Leaf, Web Cam.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: New Alternative Dashboard Version 7.xx
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
I'm pretty happy with version 6.92 as I've modified it, Scott, but others may have some good ideas for improvements, modifications, or even massive overhauls.  To me, the whole idea of the Alternate Dashboard is enhancements to Ken True's original Saratoga ajax-dashboard.  I've tried to accommodate those with simpler needs by providing his dashboard as a 'Mini-Home' on my website.

Anyone who has loaded my site knows it is designed primarily for my use and if others find it useful that's icing on the cake.  That said, my GoDaddy shared server's resources seem taxed at times by the demands of the scripts on my site, so for now I've probably maxed out the complexity of the alternate dashboard.

The Season Countdown Timer might be a useful optional addition to the 'Almanac' section, but I'm not sure how you plan to structure version 7.xx via a modular design.  In addition, using the actual upcoming Season dates rather than the current year's dates that are already past as WD does might be useful.  (This discrepancy arises after the Winter Solstice until the New Year.)  It requires additional scripting, but I think it's worth it so I've coded it into my alt-dashboard692.

I've already helped increase the complexity of 6.92, and I have a hard time simplifying, so my ideas may not be the best for your purposes here, Scott.  I hope others weigh in with their ideas as well.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »
The only this I've really modified was my temperature section. I've added Last year's temp, normals & mean temp.
Other than that, I like everything else that is there
Tony

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »
Hi,

Doing a good job and nice to see you active again on this project. At least coming out of the wood works.

Just a comment on the recent developments/make-over with WD make over that Brian is doing after the loss of the original code. Will this newer version be compatible with his continuing reconstruction for WD?

I have not used his betas as of yet to test it with my current version of the Alternative Dashboard as of yet... Still using build 81 and 6.92 that has been stable for me..

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
Not sure if you saw my previous hints about my version 7 but my idea is to have a set of "templates" for each part of the page.  You and others can design a version for say the 3rd column of the 2nd row and so can the next person.  Then people can choose the version of the 3rd column on the second row they want for their site.  Everyone can customize the site with what works for them.
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
I haven't seen Brian's new version but have read it has at least some issues with the alternative dashboard.  I will likely wait till it comes out of beta and is stable.

Scott

Hi,

Doing a good job and nice to see you active again on this project. At least coming out of the wood works.

Just a comment on the recent developments/make-over with WD make over that Brian is doing after the loss of the original code. Will this newer version be compatible with his continuing reconstruction for WD?

I have not used his betas as of yet to test it with my current version of the Alternative Dashboard as of yet... Still using build 81 and 6.92 that has been stable for me..

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Offline mayo9999

• Lake Mary Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
Hey Scott,

Long time, glad your coming out of moth balls and considering a v7 of your Alternate Dashboard.  I too have been away from my Weather hobby for a while.  I never did Ken's upgrade to 3.0, so I was kind of stuck in not touching my site for a while.  Besides I had a lighting strike earlier in the year and needed to replace my ISS Main Board, then just about a month ago my temp/hum sensor stopped reading Humidly.  Lucky for me I have a neighbor two doors down that installed a Vantage Vue last year, and he has no interest in posting his data anywhere except to his console.  He was nice enough to check with me before he turned it on to find out what channel I was using, and provide me with his.  Well you guessed it while my VP2 was off the roof I changed my WeatherLink setting to pull from his station :-).

Unfortunately two weeks ago my Linux WEB Server had a HD crash; however being an IT Professional the last time I backed up my PHP scripts was in 2011  ](*,) . I'm happy that WDisplay keeps that webfiles directory on my Windows XP PC that's dedicated to just running all my Weather Software.  I would have totally given up on this hobby loosing if I lost all weather data since 2009, and the server too.  With this said I've been in the process of a fresh PHP Template implementation.  I'm not to worried about loosing MySQL Database, as it was more for learning than fun, and some of my own scripting work is still on Windows PC too.  Of course after I installed Ken's 3.0 PHP Scripts package to a fresh new Linux Server (running CentOS 5), I immediately downloaded and installed your three PHP add on's (Alt-Dashboard, MOBILE Dashboard 1.9x, and High/Low/Averages ScriptS <maybe some of your ICON sets too>). 

The only modification's I made so far, that I had before to your base "axajax-dashboard6.php" is my "Blank" 2nd column on row two, we don't have much need for "Snow" tracking in Florida, and I don't have anything to track Lightning.  So there, I added Ken's "thermometer.php"; however I really would like to have an "Alternate Dashboard" from you that I don't need to modify.  Besides that I hate having the middle column on row 4 with just "Support this Site", and would love to have an option or two here as I still haven't invested in upgrading my David VP2 with Solar and UV. 

Sorry I have no clue in what to add to either of those 2nd columns; however I'm sure others can give you a better suggestion than my boring "Thermometer".

Last thing, even thought I've made a donation in the past, I still have your link at the bottom of my "Alt-Dashboard" :-).

Jerry-
Jerry-
http://www.lakemaryweather.com
CWOP = DW3228
WU    = KFLLAKEM7

Davis 6153 Wireless Vantage Pro2 / 6316 Wireless Weather Envoy
Weatherlink * VirtualIP * StartWatch * Windows Display * Windows Display Live

I also host my own CentOS (Linux) Apache WEB Server

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
Hey Jerry,

Its too easy to forget to backup or verify things are working as they should.  I lost my weather computer too, luckily I backed  up my scripts and my data was push out to a 2nd disk always too.  Hope you do get back into it though, we need to keep a good supply of people to keep this hobby passing down in the future!  I got into the hobby from Ken True's site and scripts, it been fun ever since. 

Scott

Hey Scott,

Long time, glad your coming out of moth balls and considering a v7 of your Alternate Dashboard.  I too have been away from my Weather hobby for a while.  I never did Ken's upgrade to 3.0, so I was kind of stuck in not touching my site for a while.  Besides I had a lighting strike earlier in the year and needed to replace my ISS Main Board, then just about a month ago my temp/hum sensor stopped reading Humidly.  Lucky for me I have a neighbor two doors down that installed a Vantage Vue last year, and he has no interest in posting his data anywhere except to his console.  He was nice enough to check with me before he turned it on to find out what channel I was using, and provide me with his.  Well you guessed it while my VP2 was off the roof I changed my WeatherLink setting to pull from his station :-).

Unfortunately two weeks ago my Linux WEB Server had a HD crash; however being an IT Professional the last time I backed up my PHP scripts was in 2011  ](*,) . I'm happy that WDisplay keeps that webfiles directory on my Windows XP PC that's dedicated to just running all my Weather Software.  I would have totally given up on this hobby loosing if I lost all weather data since 2009, and the server too.  With this said I've been in the process of a fresh PHP Template implementation.  I'm not to worried about loosing MySQL Database, as it was more for learning than fun, and some of my own scripting work is still on Windows PC too.  Of course after I installed Ken's 3.0 PHP Scripts package to a fresh new Linux Server (running CentOS 5), I immediately downloaded and installed your three PHP add on's (Alt-Dashboard, MOBILE Dashboard 1.9x, and High/Low/Averages ScriptS <maybe some of your ICON sets too>). 

The only modification's I made so far, that I had before to your base "axajax-dashboard6.php" is my "Blank" 2nd column on row two, we don't have much need for "Snow" tracking in Florida, and I don't have anything to track Lightning.  So there, I added Ken's "thermometer.php"; however I really would like to have an "Alternate Dashboard" from you that I don't need to modify.  Besides that I hate having the middle column on row 4 with just "Support this Site", and would love to have an option or two here as I still haven't invested in upgrading my David VP2 with Solar and UV. 

Sorry I have no clue in what to add to either of those 2nd columns; however I'm sure others can give you a better suggestion than my boring "Thermometer".

Last thing, even thought I've made a donation in the past, I still have your link at the bottom of my "Alt-Dashboard" :-).

Jerry-
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:43:42 PM by BurnsvilleWeather »

Offline vinesweather

• Forecaster
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
Hi Scott

I'm all new to this but if you incorporate a who's on line thing that would be great! I know there is a script already out there for carterlakes templates but I never got it to work with Ken's. Not saying it doesn't, I just can't make it work.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
I would really like to see the ability to use Metobridge with the Alt Dashboard

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »
Not familiar with that, I'll take a look and see what I can do.

Scott

I would really like to see the ability to use Metobridge with the Alt Dashboard

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I am already using Metobridge with the Saratoga dashboard as well as with the Weerstation Leuven dashboard. 

http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/Settings-config-MB.php

Attached are the files used - the forum won't let me attach the .php file

Dennis

Offline mayo9999

• Lake Mary Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »
Hey Jerry,

Its too easy to forget to backup or verify things are working as they should.  I lost my weather computer too, luckily I backed  up my scripts and my data was push out to a 2nd disk always too.  Hope you do get back into it though, we need to keep a good supply of people to keep this hobby passing down in the future!  I got into the hobby from Ken True's site and scripts, it been fun ever since. 

Scott

Yes it is, especially since I'm an Enterprise Application Systems Manager by Profession, and I go crazy when my EBR (Enterprise Backup/Restore) Team isn't on top of backups for the 14 Linux Servers and 3 Oracle dB's that are part of the application I administer.  I guess it's the old saying of "Practice what I preach, not what I do" that has bit me. 

I have to say it will no longer occur as I've written a script executed by a cron that will tar/zip up my html directory at 04:30, and sftp it to my Mac Mini Server (which then gets backed to an Apple Time Capsule device).  The wife and I have been seriously talking about subscribing to Carbonite to backup data, media, etc form our Mac Mini Server and that would also include the 70Mb Weather Server .tar.gz file.

O.k. on another note I've looked into implementing the wxtides.php script (to fill my row 3, column 2 hole; however I'm having a few issues getting the "tideprediction.html" file created by WeatherD ftped to the Web Server at 06:00, and the format of file thats being created (even thought it looks perfect in WXTide32) not to show.
Code: [Select]
Sunday 09-21   
Sunrise 0711, Sunset 1921
Moonrise 0453, Moonset 1750
   Low Tide:  0040   0.9
  High Tide:  0643   4.3
   Low Tide:  1249   0.8
  High Tide:  1904   4.7
and show as:
Sunday 2014-09-21   
Sunrise  7:11 AM EDT, Sunset  7:21 PM EDT
Moonrise  4:53 AM EDT, Moonset  5:50 PM EDT
   Low Tide:  12:40 AM EDT   0.9
  High Tide:   6:43 AM EDT   4.3
   Low Tide: 12:24 PM EDT   0.8
  High Tide:   7:04 PM EDT   4.7

Once I have it working, as I want I'll put back your base code for row 3 column 2 to show "Tide" (and get ride of Ken's base Thermometer ( the one I added).

I did find one thing that I've done with your scripts that I would love to have included in your next version:
For row 1, column 3 "Forecast / Storm Prediction" using " $use5DAYLINK = true; " setting only uses WXSim 5-day forecast page; however I use NWS forecast page so I have to do a mod on your ajax-dashboard6.php around line 690 from:
<br/><strong><a href="wxsimforecast.php" title="Click Here for Local 5-day Forecast">
to:
<br/><strong><a href="wxforecast.php" title="Click Here for Local 5-day Forecast">

You already have $fcstorg as a variable so picking the correct 5 Day Forecast php should be easy, when $use5DAYLINK = true .
Jerry-
http://www.lakemaryweather.com
CWOP = DW3228
WU    = KFLLAKEM7

Davis 6153 Wireless Vantage Pro2 / 6316 Wireless Weather Envoy
Weatherlink * VirtualIP * StartWatch * Windows Display * Windows Display Live

I also host my own CentOS (Linux) Apache WEB Server

Offline n9mfk9

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
Scott,
Have you thought of  doing something that can be used with cumulus
Beau

Offline bucks County Weather

• http://www.backyardweather.org
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 05:16:14 AM »
Please keep me in the loop for the release of 7. Right now I use 6.9 and like the features already incorporated.
Chris

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
Scott,
Have you thought of  doing something that can be used with cumulus
Beau

I don't have it to test with.  If someone has a list of all it's tags I'd consider an option since I plan to make it modular.

Scott

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »

O.k. on another note I've looked into implementing the wxtides.php script (to fill my row 3, column 2 hole; however I'm having a few issues getting the "tideprediction.html" file created by WeatherD ftped to the Web Server at 06:00, and the format of file thats being created (even thought it looks perfect in WXTide32) not to show.
Sunday 09-21   
Sunrise 0711, Sunset 1921
Moonrise 0453, Moonset 1750
   Low Tide:  0040   0.9
  High Tide:  0643   4.3
   Low Tide:  1249   0.8
  High Tide:  1904   4.7
and show as:
Sunday 2014-09-21   
Sunrise  7:11 AM EDT, Sunset  7:21 PM EDT
Moonrise  4:53 AM EDT, Moonset  5:50 PM EDT
   Low Tide:  12:40 AM EDT   0.9
  High Tide:   6:43 AM EDT   4.3
   Low Tide: 12:24 PM EDT   0.8
  High Tide:   7:04 PM EDT   4.7

Once I have it working, as I want I'll put back your base code for row 3 column 2 to show "Tide" (and get ride of Ken's base Thermometer ( the one I added).

I did find one thing that I've done with your scripts that I would love to have included in your next version:
For row 1, column 3 "Forecast / Storm Prediction" using " $use5DAYLINK = true; " setting only uses WXSim 5-day forecast page; however I use NWS forecast page so I have to do a mod on your ajax-dashboard6.php around line 690 from:
<br/><strong><a href="wxsimforecast.php" title="Click Here for Local 5-day Forecast">
to:
<br/><strong><a href="wxforecast.php" title="Click Here for Local 5-day Forecast">

You already have $fcstorg as a variable so picking the correct 5 Day Forecast php should be easy, when $use5DAYLINK = true .

Wish I could help with the Tide stuff but I just added the code to display it, I didn't write the code or know how it works as I'm landlocked in the upper Midwest!  We have tides of snow sometimes, that count?

Scott

Offline n9mfk9

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
I would love a new dashboard look that could go with Cumulus. Still have yet to be able to afford the weather station/software I need at this time but maybe in the next couple of years.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
Hi Scott:
I am using version 6.91 of your Alternate Dashboard. The only change I made was to add Normal High and Low Temperatures to the temperature section. I don't see where displaying additional information would be helpful.

What would be helpful is to make the page display in a wider format and adjusting the fonts accordingly. I have mine set for 960 pixels width vs. 800 pixels, most users have their screen resolutions set at 1024 pixels or higher these days.

The new NWS Forecast Images (86 x 86 pixels) used by the NWS would be nice to use on all the Forecasts vs the 55 pixels now used in the existing PHP Scripts.

The key I believe in updating the Alternate Dashboard v.7.0 is to make the page display in a more user friendly format. We don't want to overload our users with too much info.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »
There is an option to make it wide.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
Bunty:
I hear you. I never liked the wide option as the displayed results are dependent on the user's screen resolution. I have always controlled the screen width to control the appearance of the page, don't want a lot of white space. If the user is running a real high resolution 1600 or higher the results don't look so good and the fonts are not that legible. That is why I would like to see a larger fixed screen width with larger fonts and weather forecast icons.

I like some of the modifications you have made to your home page.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »
If the dashboard was "responsive" that would solve it. More coding to do,but the dashboard would adapt to your screen size.
Tony

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
If the dashboard was "responsive" that would solve it. More coding to do,but the dashboard would adapt to your screen size.
The Saratoga Templates have this ability built-in via the 'Widescreen' option.  You have disabled it during your customizations of 'Base USA' for WD.
 :???:
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 02:51:40 PM »
Folks:
Tony from CNYWeather said it best: The dashboard needs to be "responsive". I realize that would require a lot more coding to Tony's point.

Per W3C as of January 2014 here are the web browser resolutions being used:
1366 X 768 or higher represent 78% of all users
1024 x 768 or higher represent 99% of all users

So my use of a fixed 960 width vs. 800 (I turned off wide screen display intentionally) covers most users, however we are picking up white space and smaller fonts & icons.  As I stated in my earlier post I don't like all the white space you get with the widescreen option plus the lack of control on how your page displays based on the user's screen resolution. The end result can look less than desirable.

So 800 x 600 is really obsolete. Please see the attached link for the browser statistics:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

I don't know what the ideal solution would be but going to HTML5 should provide some responsive formatting from what I understand. The bottom line here is we have to think of our viewers, how they use the info and how easy it is to view.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:57:29 PM by tshattuck »

anything