Author Topic: Thinking about getting a Davis...  (Read 24203 times)

Offline G2003

• Contributor
Thinking about getting a Davis...
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »
Hello,

I currently have a LaCrosse WS2308 weather station. I was thinking about getting something more professional. Ive narrowed it down to a Davis Vantage Pro 2.

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a Cabled version versus a Wireless version?

Thanks,
gil

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Thinking about getting a Davis...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:13:34 PM »
I don't know that there's any advantage to the cabled version except lower cost...

I've got the wireless, but with the standard wired anemometer. I'm now strongly considering buying the xmitter for the anemometer so I can place the ISS unit more freely (rain accuracy issues). Sure, I could extend the wire, but it's so limiting...

With the wired, you have to consider where/how it will enter the house, which will fix the position of the console, and therefore fix the position of your computer (assuming you'll download your data and post it...).

I guess you could get around that by putting the console in retransmit mode, and buying a Weather Envoy to receive the data, and hook that up to a computer in another part of the house... But then, you may as well go wireless from the start...

Just one opinion...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
Lightning!
I lost my wired WMII when lightning hit a tree. It took out the anny and the console.
Plus if you ever have to have it serviced or something breaks a wireless unit is much easier to deal with.
They have repeaters available so you can put the sensors where ever you want.
Wireless is the way to go.

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

Is there a difference in update times? I know with my LaCrosse station, it updates more frequently if its wired, than when its wireless.

I think I may go with the wired, strictly because of the cost. I don't have a
problem dealing with wires.

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
I've got a new in the box Weather Monitor II complete station with a radiation shield I'd make you a good deal on.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=07440CS

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 04:05:12 PM »
Quote from: "ncpilot"
I don't know that there's any advantage to the cabled version except lower cost...

1: No changing batteries
2: No problem with signal loss
3: No problems with solar panels with ice and/or snow
4: Did I mention no changing batteries? :)

That was my main reason for going with a cabled version. If a battery goes dead in the middle of winter, I'll be darned if I'm going to be out there changing it at -20 in the middle of the night. No thanks. :)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
Oh yeah i never thought about batteries. Well i think i'm going with the cabled version since its cheaper, and because of the no interference and batteries!

Thanks
Gil

Offline tweatherman1

• http://webpages.charter.net/tweatherman67/index.html/
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »
Gil,
I have both and I much prefer the wireless version because your not limited to the distance away from the station as much as the cabled version. You also don't have to worry about drilling holes through the walls...etc.

Tim

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 07:55:02 PM »
wiring is not a problem, seeing as my current weather station is wired and no other adjustments are needed.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »
Wired is cheaper to buy, harder to install, and easier to maintain.

Wireless is, us, more expensive, easier to install, and harder to maintain.

Wired range is a non-issue, if you are willing buy the cable and to do the labor. I think the theoretical wired distance is 4000 cable feet, a lot farther than wireless will go.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
And no batteries. Did I mention that before?  :wink:

(Sorry, just couldn't resist. Need sleep. Getting to goofy.)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:49:46 PM »
Quote from: "racenet"
That was my main reason for going with a cabled version. If a battery goes dead in the middle of winter, I'll be darned if I'm going to be out there changing it at -20 in the middle of the night. No thanks. :)
Bob

Foul. I'm asking for a ruling.

Bob's dedication to the hobby is being called into question...

Oh boo hoo, I live where it gets cold in winter, and I won't go outside to change the battery...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I know what you mean though... down here, in February, if it gets below 35 I don't like to go outside either...  :wink:
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 10:52:20 PM »
LOL

In the winter, if it happens to get up to 35, people are digging out their shorts and tee shirts. Not this boy though. :)

It does get nasty cold in these parts though. Like the two weeks or so that it didn't get above -25 and went as low as -49 several nights.  Stuff in the heated garage wouldn't even start. Oh yeah!  :shock:

If I do happen to get a wireless VP one of these days, I'll be sure to give you a call if a battery needs changing in the winter months......  :wink:

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 06:00:25 PM »
Why would you need that many feet of range????  That's nearly a mile!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »
I DO have a big yard, but the supplied 100 foot of cable is enough.

Now i'm starting to think of having a "no-wires, self-contained" system. Meaning, mount it on a pole someplace, and having no wires and never needing to go adjust it. However, the cost is considerably more.

I think placing will be a problem. I read a PDF (associated with Weather Underground) that said don't place near paved surfaces, pools, trees, structures, etc. which poses a huge problem. The south border of my yard has pine trees that are over 25 feet high. My pool is right in the middle of the yard. I have a fairly large patio. tall trees shade the west part of my yard.
2 trees cover about half of the eastern portion of the yard.

Some placement tips would be greatly appreciated!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
Without seeing your yard it makes it kind of tough to suggest placement. Try to find the most open area of your yard. Keep it as far away as possible from heat absorbing objects like pavement, decks, houses, etc. The anny you could always mount on top of the house so that isn't as critical.

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 07:28:05 PM »
THe problem is, the most open part of my yard is shaded by trees, so that would mess up the rain readings. I could take a few pictures of my yard, i suppose...

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Quote from: "G2003"
THe problem is, the most open part of my yard is shaded by trees, so that would mess up the rain readings. I could take a few pictures of my yard, i suppose...

You describe a problem common to many of us ... trees, buildings, and other obstructions.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 08:53:26 PM »
Yep, siting is probably the biggest issue that all of us "amateurs" have to deal with. Where I used to live before moving to FL was great. I literally had acres of open space (cow pasture) to work with and had nearly perfect siting. Since we moved to FL though I've had to deal with a lot of siting issues, primarily with anemometer placement. I'm not really happy with it where it is now but there's really only one other place I can put it that _might_ be better. The plan is to relocate the anemometer to that location but that creates another issue with placement of the temp/humidity/rain sensors.

To make a long story short, if you live in an urban environment, in particular a place with municipal/homeowners restrictions, you probably aren't' going to get optimal siting for every part of your system. In the end you make the compromises you have to make to get the best data you can.

EDIT: Jeez, almost forgot the whole point of my post which was this is one of the reasons I like the Davis systems. You have a lot of options like wireless anemometer transmitters, and remote temp stations that make dealing with these siting issues a little easier.

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »
Okay, is it possible to add wireless capability to a cabled Vantage Pro 2?

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Quote from: "G2003"
Okay, is it possible to add wireless capability to a cabled Vantage Pro 2?

I doubt it. The wireless ISS has a transmitter, and the wireless console has a receiver.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 07:06:59 PM »
Is placing it in your front yard an option? I know it's not a real good idea as it invites theft or vandalism.
Could you post a google image of your house?

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 07:14:33 PM »
Now that i think about it, the front yard might be an option.

Here's a Local.Live image. You can also view birds eye views.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.096251~-88.12304&style=a&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=11336995&sp=Point.r0gf8m7nppn8_3997%20Whispering%20Trails%20Ct%2C%20Hoffman%20Estates%2C%20IL%2060192%2C%20United%20States___&encType=1

Its the house with the pool, and the red truck in the driveway. South side of street.

The bird's eye view is much more accurate. for some reason, the area view shows the trees not as full. probably an outdated image

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 07:29:12 PM »
Yeah, you have the same problem I have -- my yard is full of trees and the house is surrounded. It's nice to have trees, but...

How about mounting it on top of your house or garage? I have mine mounted atop my garage. My brother has his atop his house.

(Better yet -- how about putting it on top of that water tower? Naw. It'll take a direct lightning hit there. :shock: )

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »
How about, as you face your house, on the left hand side just above where the house cast's a shadow.
Never mind. After seeing the bird eye view I see your problem. Looks like the front yard may be your only choice, or sell the house and move to the country. :D